2.0 vs 3.6
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0 vs 3.6 in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Tomorrow I'm going in to order a new ATS Premium but I'm kinda on the fence about the 2.0 and ...
    mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT

2.0 vs 3.6

Tomorrow I'm going in to order a new ATS Premium but I'm kinda on the fence about the 2.0 and 3.6. We test drove the 3.6 and loved it but it seems as if the 2.0 should fit out needs. However I've spoken with people advising staying away from turbos. I've never dealt with turbos but people tell me to always go with naturally aspirated vice turbos. They claim turbos have more problems. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aggression is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 12' CTS Coupe

Re: 2.0 vs 3.6

I'd take a Turbo over a NA engine ANY day of the week. I love the torque it puts out. You have nothing to worry about. Even if you blow the turbo, your covered VIA warrenty for the next 4 years.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Turbos could potentially have more problems - more parts... But they're under warranty, as mentioned above. If you plan on keeping the car past the warranty, than maybe you should be concerned. However, turbos aren't that expensive to replace anymore. If price isn't a concern, I'd take the V6 IF I didn't want to tune the car. If I wanted to tune the car, I'd take the turbo...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

I can't comment on the turbo but I can comment on the 3.6. It is great.

Guess I'll stick with the turbo since I'm not sure if I want to tune it or not.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Turbos aren't expensive to replace?!

I'm looking at retrofitting a turbo in our Mustang and I havent' gotten one quote below $4K.

roukan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2.0 turbo is lighter hence better balance vs the V6 3.6 and gets better fuel economy all guarenteed. Problems with the turbo is pure speculation..

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

You should also consider if smoothness and if sound is important to you. Turbo four bangers are noted to be noisy, more vibration and the exhaust sound is not as good. The V6 engine will be much more smoother and the engine and exhaust sound will be more attractive. The T4 will have a very smooth torque band, but the V6 engine will have more hp, but you will have to rev it higher to get it though. Torque amount appears to be similar, but I have not seen a dyno graph yet of the two engines to indicate power delivery.

I lean to the V6 because I can't take a step down in engine smoothness. I have been spoiled with I6 and flat boxer 6 engines, so no four banger for me. If I ever do go to a I4 engine it will be a diesel and of course not for smoothness, but all the pluses that are attractive in a diesel.

Nebur is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Turbos aren't expenxive to replace?!

I'm looking at retrofitting a turbo in our Mustang and I havent' gotten one quote below $4K.
    Are you sure you're not talking about a turbo kit and not just the turbo itself?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

For the purposes of long term ownership, the 4-banger and LFX will likely even out if you assume some grown pains for the new powertrain.

if this turns out to be one of those 'nailed it' first time deals, the turbo will cost less.

Turbos aren't expenxive to replace?!

that's for an entire kit,
    Most average BW , garrett or Bosch KKK turbocharger is between $600-1000.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

My last two Audis had the 2.0 turbo with zero issues. My brother also has an 06 2.0 tuirbo in his Audi with 120 thousand trouble free miles. I have never heard of turbo problems with those engines. My 06 did have some vibration and you could feel the tubo kick in. My 09 has no vibration at all and is much smoother and quieter. Audi made a point of making the 2.0 smoother and quieter in 09 and I'm sure Cadilac will make sure that their 2.0 isn't a noisey shaker. All the early reports have said that the ATS 2.0 is very smooth and quieter than they would like. I guess those mag writers like manual trans. along with a little noise to make them feel like they are in a 70's muscle car.

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue

I had planned to get the turbo engine and manual transmission, but after reading the reviews of the 2.0 I'm rethinking that approach. So far none of the magazines seemed to like the power delivery in the turbo, and the manual transmission has received some very negative reviews. Also, the 3.6 has been around for a while but the 2.0 is brand new, and am a little concerned about initial reliability. I'll drive both before deciding, but leaning towards the 3.6 now.

The reviews I've read mentioned that the 3.6 isn't all that nice sounding at low RPMs. I think we'll stick with the 2.0T. Plus the wife will be the primary driver so since she had a Honda Accord V6 and the Lexus ES 350 which both were around the same HP as the 2.0 except they were FWD I think she'll do fine with the 2.0.

Caddy809 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by mrrairai76 View Post
    The reviews I've read mentioned that the 3.6 isn't all that nice sounding at low RPMs. I think we'll stick with the 2.0T. Plus the wife will be the primary driver so since she had a Honda Accord V6 and the Lexus IS 350 which both were around the same HP as the 2.0 except they were FWD I think she'll do fine with the 2.0.
    I would test drive the 2.0 before you buy it. According to a review she might get scare of a truck getting too close while waiting for the turbos to kick in... And a lot of other reviews say it has plenty of passing power and you can't tell its a V4... It's like they talk about different cars.

Anyways probably a stupid question but, I read somewhere that in order to get the advertise mpgs you need to be careful to "stay away from the turbos"??? According to the same person a NA V6 will consistently return better mpgs? Is there any truth to that? I'm also not sure which car to get, and now that the EPA numbers dropped the mpg on the 2.0 to 21/31 its only 3 miles more then the V6 but if I have to drive it like a feather what's the point?

On another note the 335i is 23/33 pretty ****ing impressive. EIGHT SPEED where are you???

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy809

I would test drive the 2.0 before you buy it. According to a review she might get scare of a truck getting too close while waiting for the turbos to kick in... And a lot of other reviews say it has plenty of passing power and you can't tell its a V4... It's like they talk about different cars.

Anyways probably a stupid question but, I read somewhere that in order to get the advertise mpgs you need to be careful to "stay away from the turbos"??? According to the same person a NA V6 will consistently return better mpgs? Is there any truth to that? I'm also not sure which car to get, and now that the EPA numbers dropped the mpg on the 2.0 to 21/31 its only 3 miles more then the V6 but if I have to drive it like a feather what's the point?

On another note the 335i is 23/33 pretty ****ing impressive. EIGHT SPEED where are you???
    The eight speed is a very very nice transition, but it does require a lot of shifting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.