2.0 vs 3.6 - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0 vs 3.6 in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; 2.0t with E85 tune = at least 400 hp on crank or more. 3.6 with tune, probably only 20 extra ...
    kmb32687 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual

Re: 2.0 vs 3.6

2.0t with E85 tune = at least 400 hp on crank or more.
    3.6 with tune, probably only 20 extra pony.

2.0t alll the way!

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb32687
    2.0t with E85 tune = at least 400 hp on crank or more.
    3.6 with tune, probably only 20 extra pony.

2.0t alll the way!
    But that's only if you're wiling to risk warranty. I'm new to GM but BMW was pretty harsh.

----------

If GM is pretty lenient, then I might try a tune.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Edmunds reported a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds (6.1 with a 1 ft rollout) on a 2.0T ATS which is consistent with what I have seen in other road tests and in coincides with my "seat of the pants" assessment since the CTS is known to be in the low 6s for 0-60. I have seen 6.0 for the CTS, but I think that's a bit optimistic.

The 3.6L ATS will spank the current gen CTS as I have seen 0-60 times in the mid 5s.

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/...oad-test1.html
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/06/2...mium-2-0t-6mt/

Other sources...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...he-competition
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
    I have read all of those before I am hoping GMHTP test's some here in Jersey for an article

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    The CTSs with the 3.6l have a 3.45 reared but the ATS only has a 3.27 gear ( just like the Camaro).
    3.45 gear would probably take another .2 secs off the 0-60 time.
    I have a CTS Coupe 6-speed manual RWD, and I have heard my rear end is around the 3.73 range. My RPM's are close to 3000 when traveling at 120 Kilometers per hour. My car seems very quick in any gear.

----------

I drove one a few weeks ago when I had my CTS coupe in for an oil change. It was a Performance 2.0T model. I was impressed. Obviously felt lighter than the CTS. The acceleration felt about the same as in my CTS. Yeah, the CTS has the 3.6L, but it is heavier.
    I agree with most of what you said however I test drove an ATS 2.0L turbo as well. I feel it performed and handled very well just like you mentioned however it didn't seem to accelerate as strongly as my Coupe does. I assume the difference in my Coupe could be the close gearing and manual trans, the RPM seems to fly up to that 7000 redline very quickly.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150

I have a CTS Coupe 6-speed manual RWD, and I have heard my rear end is around the 3.73 range. My RPM's are close to 3000 when traveling at 120 Kilometers per hour. My car seems very quick in any gear.

----------

I agree with most of what you said however I test drove an ATS 2.0L turbo as well. I feel it performed and handled very well just like you mentioned however it didn't seem to accelerate as strongly as my Coupe does. I assume the difference in my Coupe could be the close gearing and manual trans, the RPM seems to fly up to that 7000 redline very quickly.
    Well I have the AWD coupe with the different rear end so I suspect that is where the difference is.

ATS2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T Manual
    2.0 is great, doesnt feel much slower than the 3.6. The only advantage of the 3.6 is the engine note.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I love the people on here that go out and buy Cadillac's newest award winning world class sports sedan and then whine that they should use premium..

the 2.0 in this car has amazing potential, back on the cobalt scene there were so many guys running the older 2.0T at 330-350HP with just an intake and tune, its laughably easy to get big numbers from these engines

It wasn't uncommon to see cars breaking 400HP with a few more(inexpensive bolt-on) mods and corn juice now those cars are lighter than ours yes.. but not by a lot, I think my cobalt weighed in at 3250LBS.. what do these weigh? 3400lbs?

This members pushing 605HP and he's hanging with the GTR.. he's a member on CSS.net.. since that video he's added more and he's pushing 650HP last I checked... hes got all the bolt-ons, head work Larger turbo, supporting mods etc.. no Spray, tune and e85..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piE1R8u0pvU

that sounds like a lot of money but those really aren't that expensive (especially for those cars). For what it would cost to get a 3.6 to 450+HP you'd need to spend thousands more on a full boost kit.. and lots of supporting mods.

the reason I like using the cobalt SS is because it has the same (basic) engine as us and I've been around them forever and I know what they're capable of.. they put the supercharged predecessor's to shame...

oh and just for fun.. a cobalt SS Supercharged engine, sans supercharger and turbo in its place.. 2.0 K04turbo and supporting mods, 610HP, I know everyone loves warranty, but if I can get 600HP outta this thing then **** warranty lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYeEJ7CDH8

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

One of the things I have been looking at is what is the Tremec 3160 manual trans rated for. Max torque is listed at 500Nm (369 #ft.) I know there is always a margin of safety, but what is it? Twenty % over would allow 442 #ft. which I feel is most likely safe for all but cars that are at the strip a lot. The 6L45 auto is rated for a max of 377Nm (278 #ft.) which even with a safety margin doesn't seem to allow as much tuning capability.
    Makes me more than happy I got the manual.

well the Getrag F35 in the cobalt turbo was a piece of shit, third gear was a grenade, but a lot of the guys there were pushing 400+HP 370Tq+ on stock trans and had no issues, just clutches were burning out under the power lol. I hear a lot that they were "underrated"

Most of the third gear troubles were weeded out in the warranty period, wich is why I'm waiting to mod mine, wanna weed out the problems(if any) first and let warranty deal with them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ATS2.0T View Post
    2.0 is great, doesnt feel much slower than the 3.6. The only advantage of the 3.6 is the engine note.
    ...and it's over .5 second faster in 0-60.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    I love the people on here that go out and buy Cadillac's newest award winning world class sports sedan and then whine that they should use premium..
    I always found that odd too. Over on the Acura forums I used to see the same thing. If the extra $5 a tank ful is going to break you, then you should have bought a different car.

I had to put 91 in my SS or the engine knocked BAD

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Well I have the AWD coupe with the different rear end so I suspect that is where the difference is.
    I am curious as to how much heavier the AWD coupe is compared to the RWD version?

Also, I love the look of your coupe in Black! Very slick.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    One of the things I have been looking at is what is the Tremec 3160 manual trans rated for. Max torque is listed at 500Nm (369 #ft.) I know there is always a margin of safety, but what is it? Twenty % over would allow 442 #ft. which I feel is most likely safe for all but cars that are at the strip a lot. The 6L45 auto is rated for a max of 377Nm (278 #ft.) which even with a safety margin doesn't seem to allow as much tuning capability.

Let's go to the track and see you hang with the auto.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post

It's also used in the 3.6 DI

which also surpasses GMs maximum hp and TQ. STOCK..

This tranny can handle a lot more

It's also used in BMW 1 and 3 series

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150

I am curious as to how much heavier the AWD coupe is compared to the RWD version?

Also, I love the look of your coupe in Black! Very slick.
    Thank you.

According to the Cadillac, AWD adds about 200 lbs.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren05

It's also used in BMW 1 and 3 series
    They seem to have tuned it much better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.