What defines a Luxury vehicle ?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, What defines a Luxury vehicle ? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; In the past the luxury car segment was defined by several factors, including: 1) They were bigger 2) They had ...
    billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

What defines a Luxury vehicle ?

In the past the luxury car segment was defined by several factors, including:

1) They were bigger

2) They had large, quiet, engines

3) They had features not available on average cars

As a result, they could command a higher price.

With the advent of government-mandated fuel economy standards, all manufacturers are increasingly forced to build smaller cars with smaller engines (like the new ATS and BMW 4-bangers).

So how will the luxury brands justify their higher prices in the future? It seems like the only avenue left is features. I get the impression that the luxury manufacturers are really scratching for features you can't get in a Honda Accord. Thus we get stuff like an iPad in the dashboard and seats that vibrate your butt when a car is coming. The problem is that electronics get cheaper to manufacture over time and the number of things that a driver can interact with, without driving into a tree, is limited.

My conclusion is that cars will become more and more like commodities (think desktop PC's) and there will be fewer things that can justify a premium price. The final blow will be self-driving cars where the only features of interest will be seat comfort and the sound system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: What defines a Luxury vehicle ?

There's luxury (Bentley, Rolls Royce), and there's upscale middle class (Cadillac, BMW).

Somewhere in between the two extremes is Jaguar and Land Rover.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

4) They use better, more attractive and more expensive materials.
    5) They are better looking. An ATS is a compact car. Does it look better than the average compact car?
    6) Things work better and are more solid for the most part - windows roll up and down more smoothly, knobs turn smoothly and feel substantial, turn signal stalks work just right, door handles work more smoothly. When you touch a control in the car, the word "flimsy" should not pop into your head like it often does in a cheap car.
    7) Longer warranties and premium dealer experience.

I believe the last five define the segment now.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I would say that luxury has alot to do with how comfortable you are in a car and the quality materials around you. Luxury no longer is just defined by how big something is. The ATS and BMW 3 series along with other cars like the Audi A4 are considered luxury performance sedans. Thats a completely different kind of luxury car aimed at a completely different car enthusiast. I owned many Pontiac Grand Prix's and such that were loaded and thought they were a performance luxury car. That was until I test rode a few BMW's and Audi's and were blown away with the quality and performance they offered that I never had been exposed to before. After owning two Audi's this will be my first american built car since my 2002 Grand Prix. When my wife and I test drove the ATS we got the same feel from it that we had when we first test drove the BMW and Audi. My wife was blown away with it so much that she thought it rode and handled better than her Audi. The quality of the interior and how it felt behind the wheel also was very impressive. It had the same quality feel both our Audis had and that says alot when you consider Audi has been the benchmark for quality interiors for some time now. I think that luxury can be felt as soon as you sit behind the wheel and thats what my definition of luxury is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.