Confused about suspension choices
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Confused about suspension choices in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey guys, So I've been reading that there are at least three suspension setups to choose from: -FE1 -FE2 -FE3 ...
    EmDeeAr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Confused about suspension choices

Hey guys,

So I've been reading that there are at least three suspension setups to choose from:

-FE1
    -FE2
    -FE3

-Then there is the magnetic dampening suspension. Is that a fourth option, or does FE3 = the magnetic suspension?

What suspension setups can I choose from if I am getting the 2.0T in standard trim?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Re: Confused about suspension choices

Go to build your own for the ATS rear wheel drive. Put your cursor over where the premium models are but don't click. While you hold it on there a box will pop up on the right that says Premium features, slide the cursor over to it and click on View All Standard Equipment. You will see that the cars with the magnetic suspensions have the FE3 suspension but none of the other models show what suspension they have.

mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT

Could someone please explain the difference in the suspensions? We're getting the 2.0 Premium so I'm assuming FE3

Nebur is offline Cadillac Owners Member

From what it looks like on their site and their brochure only the highest trim level (premium) gets FE3. Additionally, only premium gets limited slip differential, unless you get a manual. However, FE3 is only available on premium regardless of transmission choice.

mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT

So I'm assuming FE3 is the best? We don't want anything with a rough ride.

Nebur is offline Cadillac Owners Member

FE3 is the most sport oriented but can also be adjusted towards comfort. I think ride is very subjective only you can decide that factor.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

They represent the spring package that GM cars come with. FE1 is soft, FE3 is firm, and FE2 i in between. It is hard to say which one is better, the softness or firmness is subjective and depends on your liking. But I think if you choose specific types of struts and shocks, e.g. magna ride system, you have no option but to choose FE3.

BTW, is FE1 spring package available for ATS? It is a little bit strange, because ATS is a sports oriented car and FE1 is too soft for such a car.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

The magnetic ride control is only available on the Premium REAR WHEEL DRIVE ATS. I'm assuming the AWD comes with what they call the sport suspension.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    They represent the spring package that GM cars come with. FE1 is soft, FE3 is firm, and FE2 i in between. It is hard to say which one is better, the softness or firmness is subjective and depends on your liking. But I think if you choose specific types of struts and shocks, e.g. magna ride system, you have no option but to choose FE3.

BTW, is FE1 spring package available for ATS? It is a little bit strange, because ATS is a sports oriented car and FE1 is too soft for such a car.
    Have you driven one? Such a light car may not be deterred by a softer suspension...

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

Based on an ATS review I read recently, and the FE3 suspension on the CTS, you had better test drive the FE3 before you buy it if you are looking for a "smooth" ride..

Quote Originally Posted by mrrairai76 View Post
    So I'm assuming FE3 is the best? We don't want anything with a rough ride.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

There is no FE1 offered on the ATS - FE2 is standard across all powertrains and packages. FE3 represents the variable Magnetic Ride Control shocks with firmer damping, and is included and only available in the RWD 2.0T and 3.6L Premium Collections.

Both suspensions are definitely tuned to maximize handling over plush ride, but I would describe both as "firm", not "harsh". Anyone complaining about the ride in an FE3 ATS isn't familiar with the segment it's competing in.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

EmDeeAr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    There is no FE1 offered on the ATS - FE2 is standard across all powertrains and packages. FE3 represents the variable Magnetic Ride Control shocks with firmer damping, and is included and only available in the RWD 2.0T and 3.6L Premium Collections.

Both suspensions are definitely tuned to maximize handling over plush ride, but I would describe both as "firm", not "harsh". Anyone complaining about the ride in an FE3 ATS isn't familiar with the segment it's competing in.
    Awesome information, thanks.

FE2 it is for me then

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Try the FE3 first. It's not harsh, and in tour may actually be a bit softer than the FE2. That's because the magnetic shocks are so much better than regular shocks. One has the ability to firm the suspension up with the sport button with the FE3, as it is adjustable. The MRC suspension in my CTS-V is actually less harsh than the conventional suspension in my CTS, which had the FE3, plus the V handles better, too. That's the magic of the MRC. Pretty special.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by marktanner
    Try the FE3 first. It's not harsh, and in tour may actually be a bit softer than the FE2. That's because the magnetic shocks are so much better than regular shocks. One has the ability to firm the suspension up with the sport button with the FE3, as it is adjustable. The MRC suspension in my CTS-V is actually less harsh than the conventional suspension in my CTS, which had the FE3, plus the V handles better, too. That's the magic of the MRC. Pretty special.
    Indeed, my V2 is a joy to drive long distances...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I agree, with MRC, the FE3 are probably not harsh. bigjim's V2 certainly had a nice ride.
    I remember my V1 with FG2 shocks; you felt the entire contour of the road, and every little ripple. Which to me, was both good and bad. Bad because it got tiring on long drives. Good, because all that feel translated into phenomenal feedback.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.