Edmunds benchmarks the 2.0 T
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Edmunds benchmarks the 2.0 T in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/a...full-test.html Seems like a reasonable review..seems it cant quite beat the 3 series but is really close. For the first ...
    rage2021 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS AWD 2.0T

Edmunds benchmarks the 2.0 T

http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/a...full-test.html

Seems like a reasonable review..seems it cant quite beat the 3 series but is really close. For the first gen I think thats pretty darn good..atleast I would think its better then the rest of the competition i.e Merc, Lexus, Audi etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2021
    http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/a...full-test.html

Seems like a reasonable review..seems it cant quite beat the 3 series but is really close. For the first gen I think thats pretty darn good..atleast I would think its better then the rest of the competition i.e Merc, Lexus, Audi etc.
    Pretty darn GREAT indeed.

I'm excited to hear that with FE3, the ride can be punishing. It means this can be a serious competitor.

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy

Pretty darn GREAT indeed.

I'm excited to hear that with FE3, the ride can be punishing. It means this can be a serious competitor.
    I had hoped there are one more setting where the suspension is similar to touring setting, but throttle response is similar to sport mode. Right now if you want the more aggressive throttle control you have to take the punishment.

I am talking about auto not manual. I drove a 3.6 with FE2. There is a third snow/ice mode, but I didn't try it, thought it just disabled traction control.

EmDeeAr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: Edmunds benchmarks the 2.0 T

Man this transmission is getting knocked left and right...

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher

I had hoped there are one more setting where the suspension is similar to touring setting, but throttle response is similar to sport mode. Right now if you want the more aggressive throttle control you have to take the punishment.

I am talking about auto not manual. I drove a 3.6 with FE2. There is a third snow/ice mode, but I didn't try it, thought it just disabled traction control.
    I didn't try that setting either. I can't wait to drive a premium model to compare the different suspension settings. No dealers in San Diego have one yet

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Snow/Ice mode softens throttle response and shift pressure to help avoid the tires breaking loose on slippery surfaces. It also starts out from a standstill in a higher gear to prevent wheelspin, as well as very quickly shifting up to the higher gears once you're moving.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323 (ask for Tony)

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony
    Snow/Ice mode softens throttle response and shift pressure to help avoid the tires breaking loose on slippery surfaces. It also starts out from a standstill in a higher gear to prevent wheelspin, as well as very quickly shifting up to the higher gears once you're moving.
    Glad I didn't try it

ATS has faster slalom time, better brakes, pulled more G. According to the reviewer, it even had better steering feel. If you care about driving dynamics, the choice seems clear, just get an auto with paddles, and the FE3 suspension
    jamboarder and jamboarder like this.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
    Man this transmission is getting knocked left and right...
    The manual transmission is going to keep getting worse. I am on my second Tremec, and they leave much to be desired. The tendency to use oversized clutch/flywheel, and isolated, indirect shifters doesn't help. Car manufacturers simply can't afford to make their own manual transmissions anymore, so they are stuck with the more-or-less one-size-fits-all solutions from Tremec, Aisin and a few others. And none of them are very good.

It's a sad end to an era.

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Tremec's are not the best shifters. Never owned an Aisin manual (CTS? certain years?), have a Getrag (Lincoln LS) and its a fine shifting car. Its also non-overdrive (which I like since there is less gear loss in fifth). Main draw back is limited torque rating. The ZF in my pick-up shifts good for a pick-up (long throws could use more feel).
    Really should not matter that the OEMs are buying them from suppliers what should matter is that the suppliers build a quality product.

Tremec are among the most stout transmissions. Most of the problems with the way they shift are due to the shifters GM designs for them. I have never driven a car with a direct shifted Tremec, but I am told they are very smooth and positive. It's just not practical to have a direct shifter connection in most applications.

I was thinking the fact that GM went with Tremec over Aisin in the ATS leads to their thinking that the 2.0T ATS is going to get tuned. While broken drive shafts can be swallowed, they really don't want a transmission epidemic in the press, a la Mustang. If I had to choose between GM's poor shifting, and Ford's breaking Getrags, I think I'll choose the Tremec.

Is ZF still making manuals? They seem to be focusing on 8 and 9 speed autos these days.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The V2 has an excellent shifter.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

That's relative. Next to the V1, it might be.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Drive one and SHADDUP!

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    In response to the debate about shift points.....

I was playing around with my AWD CTS coupe tonight. I put the transmission in sport mode, but I didn't shift manually. I let the car auto shift.

The 1-2 shift occurred at around 45 mph and the 2-3 shift was well north of 65. I couldn't tell exactly as I was trying to keep my eye on the road while still trying to catch the gear changes and the speed. The transmission allowed the engine to go all the way to redline with each shift.

I would imagine the auto ATS is the same or better.

Sevenfeet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That's ok. Nobody buys manual shift cars anymore anyway. They are strictly for the diehards and auto magazine journalists. Even BMW is slowly phasing them out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.