Msrp ? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Msrp ? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Guys complaining about dealer pricing have only one option. Don't buy the car! I went into my dealer with the ...
  1. #16
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    420

    Re: Msrp ?

    Guys complaining about dealer pricing have only one option. Don't buy the car! I went into my dealer with the price I wanted to pay written down on paper. I came up with my price by using the invoice price of the ATS and what my trade in was valued at on Edmunds .com. The salesman gave me a price that was 5 grand higher than my price. I never came off my price and started to walk out three times. To make a long story short I got my price and ordered my car. To get the price you want you need to do a little homework and be prepared. Find out what the invoice is on the car. I have bought more cars at invoice or a little under than I have over invoice. Also if you have a trade find out what the "trade in" value of it is. Now you have the info you need to start to figure out what you feel is a good deal for you and the dealer. Stick to your price! I have always been able to find a dealer who would meet my price. Remember to be able to make these deals you must have money in hand and be willing to put a down payment on the car right then and there. The dealer must know that you are there to buy not just shop and in my case I have yet to have a dealer let me walk out the door without a sale.

  2. #17
    b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chas. SC
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: Msrp ?

    The problem with market adjustments is that if the car(s) don't sell, GM has to offer incentives to move them, so the dealer will order more. A car that should be a slam dunk for them becomes a loser. Look at the gto and the zr1. Insanely huge incentives by the end of the first year.

  3. #18
    mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    208

    Re: Msrp ?

    So I just got a price quote of $46,646. Seems roughly $250 over invoice.

    2.0 Premium
    White Diamond (995)
    Caramel Interior
    Cold Weather (600)
    Sunroof (1050)
    Upgraded 18" (850)

  4. #19
    Caddy Chris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Premium
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    57

    Re: Msrp ?

    I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. The biggest Cadillac Dealer in Texas is in the heart of the most upscale town in the area. They do a good business but nothing even close to BMW. Here BMW and Mercedes is king. The 30 to 55 crowd rarely set foot in the Cadillac dealer. So how do you get the money making crowd to come buy an ATS over a BMW? They certainly won't buy because of the price, it is way too high for the ATS. People with money usually look for what they think is bang for the buck. Cadillac is not the preceived luxury or status symbol here so unless they think they are getting a lot of car for the money with the ATS they wont even look at it. Now the older crowd here buys Cadillac's but the ATS is not what they are looking for. My sales guy called me the day the first ATS came in. I went to look at it that day. It was an o.k. car but that is another story. 2 weeks later he calls to tell me the 2013 SRX is in. I go to look at it and the same ATS is still sitting on the lot. I asked is that the same ATS I test drove, he said yes like "really are you surprised" any way they have a few more on the lot collecting dust now. Cadillac simply does not have the brand recognition to pull of the asking price for the ATS. BTW I paid close to 50 grand for my 2008 CTS and felt like it was worth every penny and still do.

  5. #20
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    420

    Re: Msrp ?

    Because the ATS doesn't say BMW or Mercedes on the hood its not worth the money? Thats very good logic. BMW and Mercedes gives you a big bang for your buck? OK if you say so. Mercedes is so overated it isn't even funny and to be honest not a very good bang for your buck car. BMW while being a very nice car has been using dated interiors for some time now and is lacking when it comes to standard equipement. My last 2 cars were Audis and their bang for you buck was alot better than either BMW or Mercedes. Just like the ATS many things standard on my Audi were options on the BMW and drove the price way up. You can't just assume that a car is superior because of the badge on the hood.
    mrrairai76 and mrrairai76 like this.

  6. #21
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Msrp ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    Because the ATS doesn't say BMW or Mercedes on the hood its not worth the money? Thats very good logic. BMW and Mercedes gives you a big bang for your buck? OK if you say so. Mercedes is so overated it isn't even funny and to be honest not a very good bang for your buck car. BMW while being a very nice car has been using dated interiors for some time now and is lacking when it comes to standard equipement. My last 2 cars were Audis and their bang for you buck was alot better than either BMW or Mercedes. Just like the ATS many things standard on my Audi were options on the BMW and drove the price way up. You can't just assume that a car is superior because of the badge on the hood.
    The issue is more about perception than reality. BMW and Mercedes have established themselves as premium performance luxury brands. Cadillac has yet to do so. The CTS was a start and the ATS is a huge leap forward.

    Up until the CTS came along, the people buying Cadillacs were those buying their last car (read: really old). Even when the 1st gen CTS came along it was hampered with a cheap looking interior and suspect quality. The 2nd gen CTS began to change those perceptions but thus far Cadillac hasn't really earned the credibility to be mentioned in the same breath as BMW and Cadillac.

    That doesn't mean that the ATS (or CTS) isn't a worthy alternative to the Germans, but it will take a while for people to believe it.

    Reputations and heritage take a long time to be built and can be destroyed in an instant.

    Cadillac never had the reputation of being a performance luxury brand. They were at one time the "World Standard" for luxury, hence the term, "It's the Cadillac of [whatever you're referring to]", but even with that they shot themselves in the foot with the garbage they produced in the '80s, '90s and to some extent the early 2000s. It will take time to overcome those perceptions.

  7. #22
    Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    224
    Well if GM can lose a ton of money to lease out the Volt, just so people can know Chevrolet, they can sure lower the profit margin on the ATS so Cadillac can be mentioned with BMW.

  8. #23
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    37,475

    Re: Msrp ?

    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Even when the 1st gen CTS came along it was hampered with a cheap looking interior and suspect quality.
    You forgot about that after you experienced its superb driving dynamics. I put 60000 miles on two first gen CTS. The car rags are full of donkey crap when they say it didn't handle as well as the 3-series.

    Then there was the first gen CTS-V. There still isn't a BMW that could match its magical steering.

  9. #24
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,669
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH

    You forgot about that after you experienced its superb driving dynamics. I put 60000 miles on two first gen CTS. The car rags are full of donkey crap when they say it didn't handle as well as the 3-series.

    Then there was the first gen CTS-V. There still isn't a BMW that could match its magical steering.
    What are you talking about my experiences? I have never opened a BMW car?

    Also, 60k miles is hardly the benchmark of longevity, not that BMW sedans are any better. Talk to me when you put 160K miles needing nothing more than maintenance like I did in my Toyota Landcruiser.

    As for the V, that car, especially the 2nd gen V that spanked the M5 is what started to give the CTS legitimate credibility

  10. #25
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher
    Well if GM can lose a ton of money to lease out the Volt, just so people can know Chevrolet, they can sure lower the profit margin on the ATS so Cadillac can be mentioned with BMW.
    They don't need to. The ATS is already considered a legitimate contender. The only reason it hasn't won is because of the BMW halo effect that the current 3 series is under. The only reason why the current 3 series is eeking out wins over the ATS is because none of the rags have the testicular fortitude to make the call.

  11. #26
    Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

    They don't need to. The ATS is already considered a legitimate contender. The only reason it hasn't won is because of the BMW halo effect that the current 3 series is under. The only reason why the current 3 series is eeking out wins over the ATS is because none of the rags have the testicular fortitude to make the call.
    I wasn't talking about the reports, rather people's perceptions. Most people don't read those reports. Most people will not pay more for ATS than a comparable 3 series, regardless how good the ATS is.

  12. #27
    bmw2caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    42

    Re: Msrp ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher View Post
    I wasn't talking about the reports, rather people's perceptions. Most people don't read those reports. Most people will not pay more for ATS than a comparable 3 series, regardless how good the ATS is.
    +1 to that. I agree with this. Their will be people that will see the bottom line price and say this car isn't worth $XX,xxx. Now to some of us here on the board we'll disagree and can go on an one why it is worth every penny. But to the outsider who knows BMW Audi etc and perhaps owned all of them at some point. It might be hard to convince that the ATS is every bit as good and will hold value as well as some of its competitors.

  13. #28
    Fraggy's Avatar
    Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

    they don't need to. The ats is already considered a legitimate contender. The only reason it hasn't won is because of the bmw halo effect that the current 3 series is under. The only reason why the current 3 series is eeking out wins over the ats is because none of the rags have the testicular fortitude to make the call.
    word!!!

  14. #29
    Fraggy's Avatar
    Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher

    I wasn't talking about the reports, rather people's perceptions. Most people don't read those reports. Most people will not pay more for ATS than a comparable 3 series, regardless how good the ATS is.
    That's the point, the ATS is NOT more expensive.

  15. #30
    marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    769

    Re: Msrp ?

    When one compares the ATS to the identically equipped 3 series, the ATS is usually $4-6K cheaper. When compared side by side, the ATS interior looks more expensive and luxurious, IMHO. The only advantage that the BMW has a somewhat roomier back seat and trunk than the ATS. The ATS has about the same amount of room as previous 3 series, C Class, and older Audi A4s, and it's still roomier than the Lexus IS. The lack of space certainly didn't hurt the BMW sales in the past, and none of these cars were ever meant to be a family sedan, so it probably won't make that much difference to prospective buyers in the class. If people do cross-shop the ATS, I personally think it will come off pretty well. Of course, some people buy a badge only, and that will be that for them. Same thing happened fifty years ago, when Cadillac had the reputation and sales, and BMW and MB were barely blips on our radar. Eventually, I think Cadillac will regain the reputation and status that it now deserves.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting