My test drive - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, My test drive in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by idmd I guess I always thought the purpose of a showroom was to show examples of what ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by idmd
    I guess I always thought the purpose of a showroom was to show examples of what you can buy.

Seriously though I've purchased a lot of cars in my relatively short life and I've probably been in 20 different showrooms between researching, test driving and finding a dealer i liked. But I've never walked into a showroom that was basically empty. There was room for at least 8 or 9 cars and it had just 2.

Look all I know is that when I'm going to drop $50k on something that's going to depreciate like my retirement account in 2008 I'd liked to be "wow'd" by the showroom experience. That means if there isn't a 6' blonde there offering me a cappuccino immediately upon walking in I'd like some cars to check out while I wait for the ONE salesman. How long would I have waited if there was someone else in there before me?

BTW...no 6' blonde...their greeter was 80+ year old guy named Joe who kind of looked like Harry Carey.
    You made me chuckle, but you're right on. We just recently purchased a BMW X5 for my wife and during the shopping we went to many luxury dealers. Mercedes had no problems having an unlocked SL550 roadster in the showroom, same with BMW, Land Rover and Audi.

The 6ft blonde would be nice, but that would have been awkward with my wife at my side.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Re: My test drive

Lots of cars in the showroom is a thing of the past. When I bought my 2 Audis the showroom at the dealership had 2 Audis in the showroom and the rest were on the lot all lined up so customers could look at them as a group and compare colors and option pkgs. I was one of those customers and it was also very convenient to go from one to the other and compare sticker prices. Another benefit of having all the cars outside lined up is that we can shop for cars when the dealership is closed without having to deal with a salesman looking over our shoulders. The BMW dealership down the street from the Audi dealership was setup the same with basically the same empty showroom. I think some of you guys need to stop trying to make a big deal about something that means nothing. There are plenty of dealerships out there selling Cadilacs and I have about three around me who offer awesome service and friendly staff. I don't know what the problem is around some of you guys complaining about unfriendly dealerships. Maybe you guys live in unfriendly parts of the country and need to make a move to friendlier surroundings?

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS
    Lots of cars in the showroom is a thing of the past. When I bought my 2 Audis the showroom at the dealership had 2 Audis in the showroom and the rest were on the lot all lined up so customers could look at them as a group and compare colors and option pkgs. I was one of those customers and it was also very convenient to go from one to the other and compare sticker prices. Another benefit of having all the cars outside lined up is that we can shop for cars when the dealership is closed without having to deal with a salesman looking over our shoulders. The BMW dealership down the street from the Audi dealership was setup the same with basically the same empty showroom. I think some of you guys need to stop trying to make a big deal about something that means nothing. There are plenty of dealerships out there selling Cadilacs and I have about three around me who offer awesome service and friendly staff. I don't know what the problem is around some of you guys complaining about unfriendly dealerships. Maybe you guys live in unfriendly parts of the country and need to make a move to friendlier surroundings?
    Your "you guys" comment was pretty general so I don't know if you included me in that bunch.

I agree with you that having a range of cars outside for people to look at is helpful, but in the end the face of the dealership, and more importantly the brand, is the showroom floor. Walking into a showroom that is basically empty, with only two base cars, and no one to help you except for an 80 year old guy who is on the phone who doesn't acknowledge you, is not the image I'm sure Cadillac wants to portray. It is certainly not the image you get walking into a Mercedes, Audi or BMW dealership, and to be fair, it also wasn't my experience when I bought my CTS coupe earlier this year.

My dealer was renovating their showroom, but they still had quite a few cars in there, and there were plenty of sales folks who weren't pushy or obnoxious.

I have since been back to the dealership a couple of times, once to look at the new ATS and XTS, the second time for my first oil change. The showroom renovation was completed and it was bright, upscale and clean with plenty of models. It was buzzing quite frankly and while I was crawling over a Black on Black ATS 3.6L Premium model, a salesperson came an put a SOLD sign right on it while I was still sitting inside.

idmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS
    Well I guess difference of opinion. I'm not saying all the cars need to be in the show room....just one example of each car you sell. And it would be different if this dealership had an ample sales force and not ONE guy.

I'm still not sure cars in the showroom are a thing of the past. In 20 showrooms this is the first time I saw something like this. That's probably why I found it shocking....it differed greatly from what I expected based on the other 20 I've been in.

No big deal I guess. Just seemed like a weird place to not make a great first impression.

Having a showroom with very few cars is one thing but having few sales people there to acknowledge you is another. I have found that there needs to be a sales staff somewhere between pushy sales people and downright unfriendly ignorent ones. I do feel that a good dealership will greet you when you first come in and try to address your needs. To be honest most every dealership I go into no matter what the brand I have been treated very well. I say if you don't have a good impression when you walk in then turn around and walk out. I'm sure if we all do that then the dealership will either get their stuff together and improve or they will close the doors for good. There are plenty of dealerships out there and we are the ones who control how the treat us by where we spend our money.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I must be very fortunate as the Cadillac dealer here has all of the above, enough sales people who are in the area but not pushy, and cars open on the showroom floor. By the way, isn't that why they call it a showroom?

hubb1e is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I remember from an engineering interview that the ATS was specifically designed for wheels no bigger than 18". It was an engineering decision that keeps the weight of driveline components down. As you step up from 18s the stresses on the driveline and on the suspension increases. The V model might even keep the 18s unless they have to strengthen the chassis and driveline for the extra power which is likely.

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by hubb1e
    I remember from an engineering interview that the ATS was specifically designed for wheels no bigger than 18". It was an engineering decision that keeps the weight of driveline components down. As you step up from 18s the stresses on the driveline and on the suspension increases. The V model might even keep the 18s unless they have to strengthen the chassis and driveline for the extra power which is likely.
    At least make the tire one size taller. I can see pothole explosions all over the places.

AudiA4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher View Post
    At least make the tire one size taller. I can see pothole explosions all over the places.
    I disagree. It's not a particularly aggressive profile. My current e90 BMW 330i with sports package has 18's with 35 series tires, but it somehow looks better than the ATS. Perhaps the wheel well is just oversized/out of proportion? 19's are an option on the new F30 328/335.

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4

I disagree. It's not a particularly aggressive profile. My current e90 BMW 330i with sports package has 18's with 35 series tires, but it somehow looks better than the ATS. Perhaps the wheel well is just oversized/out of proportion? 19's are an option on the new F30 328/335.
    The new 3 series tires have grown taller than yours, because of the pothole explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4

The wells ARE too large.

Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher

The new 3 series tires have grown taller than yours, because of the pothole explosions.
    But the car has grown too. Even 20's look great on the F30 which BMW offers.

idmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Well I visited a friend of mine who sells Audis and I decided to lease an S5 Prestige. In the end I still really like the ATS. I decided on the S5 because I'm going to lease not buy and honestly it was only $8K more than the fully loaded ATS I'd want.

I will stand behind my comments that the dealer experience was totally different. Not just in looks but also the little things like the hot brunette greeter who instantly remembered my name as soon as i walked through the door 5 days later and my three cups of cappuccino. Does that really matter? Not really.

I hope Caddy continues what they're doing and continues to improve because in 3 years....I'll be looking again. Maybe the next generation CTS-V?

Quote Originally Posted by idmd View Post
    Well I visited a friend of mine who sells Audis and I decided to lease an S5 Prestige. In the end I still really like the ATS. I decided on the S5 because I'm going to lease not buy and honestly it was only $8K more than the fully loaded ATS I'd want.

I will stand behind my comments that the dealer experience was totally different. Not just in looks but also the little things like the hot brunette greeter who instantly remembered my name as soon as i walked through the door 5 days later and my three cups of cappuccino. Does that really matter? Not really.

I hope Caddy continues what they're doing and continues to improve because in 3 years....I'll be looking again. Maybe the next generation CTS-V?
    Great deal! So a hot Brunette that remembers your name and three cups of cappuccino cost 8 grand in an Audi showroom. Thats not bad and if thats what you were shopping for then you must be one happy customer.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    That's an expensive woman...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.