ATS vs. BMW 328i
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS vs. BMW 328i in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey all, new here just thought I would include this new comparison done by motortrend. I'm looking forward to the ...
    Nebur is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ATS vs. BMW 328i

Hey all, new here just thought I would include this new comparison done by motortrend. I'm looking forward to the 2.0t with the manual. I wonder if changing to a short shifter would address MT's complaints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CaddyCTS91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS

Re: ATS vs. BMW 328i

I watched this review earlier and honestly hated it.
    I don't get how the reviewer at the end stated that The ATS is a better car, but it lost due to the fact that it had a worse transmission?

Also, they say looks is subjective, but I honestly think that the new 3 Series looks extremely cheap. It just screams rental from the halogen ( non projective) headlights to the cheap untasteful designed interior. The ATS looks very premium from the exterior to the interior and I would go as far to say that the ATS has the best interior in its class.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyCTS91 View Post
    I watched this review earlier and honestly hated it.
    I don't get how the reviewer at the end stated that The ATS is a better car, but it lost due to the fact that it had a worse transmission?

Also, they say looks is subjective, but I honestly think that the new 3 Series looks extremely cheap. It just screams rental from the halogen ( non projective) headlights to the cheap untasteful designed interior. The ATS looks very premium from the exterior to the interior and I would go as far to say that the ATS has the best interior in its class.
    Agreed. Although for those of us that will be buying the automatic version of the ATS.... this review makes me extremely happy!

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

"Everybody is afriad of something different" And thats what the ATS is, something a little different and i think many people are unwiling to praise what they are not used to. I wonder how many of MT employees drive a bmw and just have some bias in them. When they did the M5 vs CTS V comp, the CTS beat it out in almost every way, but just because the cts got 98 points and the bmw got 2, means that they cant affirmatively say that the cadillac is better? I dont know, it alwasy seems like theres bias somewhere. but in the logn run, its our opinion that matters and we can go drive them for ourselves and do our own comparisions.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Nebur View Post
    I'm looking forward to the 2.0t with the manual. I wonder if changing to a short shifter would address MT's complaints.
    I'd like to stick to your question, and personally wonder the same thing.

I've already ordered and am waiting on a 2.0T Premium with the manual to be delivered in the next couple of weeks.
    I knew it was highly unlikely to get a test drive with one prior to buying it, so I decided to take the plunge and order without knowing.
    I'll be trading in my BMW 07 Z4M roadster for this car, and the shifter on it is damn good (IMHO), and would hate to really miss that as I'm sure I'll notice if it really is THAT bad.

Anyone have any actual experience with one, and a comparison to something else that they've driven?

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Other than the transmission, this seems like a win to me. There hasn't been a time before where the Cadillac was actually the better car in comparison tests (other than the CTS-V), and was said to be more fun to drive than the leader in the entry level sports sedan class. Cadillac should be very proud of the ATS and one day maybe this E46 BMW 3 Series owner will switch back to Cadillac.

Nebur is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Regarding the shifter: unfortunately, MT is not the first site I've heard comment on it. Hopefully a change in shifter would remedy it. I drove an ATS 2.5l and felt the transmission was pretty responsive on shifting via the shifter for the AT, it's no DSG but it's pretty quick and responsive. Honestly, if my wife didn't have the DSG in her Audi I wouldn't probably notice the slight pause in shift.

As for the 328, I think it's a great vehicle but I've had too many friends who have had problems with their BMWs to feel comfortable with long-term ownership of one. My friend just blew his engine on his brand new M3 and have a few friends who have had nothing but problems with their 3 series. Not to say BMW makes all bad vehicles I had one friend with an e46 m3 and had few to no problems with it. Honestly, I like tinkering on my own vehicles and American cars have always been my thing.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

you have to grab 4th to reach 60?

wtf were they smoking?

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The Motor Trend reviewer complained about the BMW's kick-down switch, as if it was the first time he encountered one?!? Has he only driven four cars in his lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    The Motor Trend reviewer complained about the BMW's kick-down switch, as if it was the first time he encountered one?!? Has he only driven four cars in his lifetime?
    I think this would be worth mentioning considering that we're doing a head-to-head with what's been highly-anticipated to be the one to finaly take down the 3 series. It requires a top to down level comparison.

similar to how he criticized that BMW's manual transmissions have always sucked.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    It's pretty obvious in my car. It's that last detent and then a surge of power (well not so much a surge in a 323i, but you get the idea). It's more noticeable in the BMW's than other cars I have driven but regardless, it was a stupid comment on his part.

EmDeeAr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    you have to grab 4th to reach 60?

wtf were they smoking?
    Yeah, what is going on here? 4th to 60?? There is no way. Even if it takes 3rd to sixty I still wont be very happy....

Anyone know anything about this?

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Quote Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
    Yeah, what is going on here? 4th to 60?? There is no way. Even if it takes 3rd to sixty I still wont be very happy....

Anyone know anything about this?

It sounds like Miata gearing to me (fun car and all), but boy I hope not!
    The question is if so, why have such high gearing?
    I wouldn't think that it's really needed and certainly not helping 0-60 #'s.

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    It sounds like Miata gearing to me (fun car and all), but boy I hope not!
    The question is if so, why have such high gearing?
    I wouldn't think that it's really needed and certainly not helping 0-60 #'s.
    I've no idea, all I do know is as mentioned, this isn't the first time I've heard a car rag say this tranmission is total shit. I would (hope) that they ment to say 3rd, but that's sort of like saying ' sorry, I didn't mean to call you an idiot, I just meant you're not as smart as I am. '

1-2 shift should put you into 60 on any sports car. Period.

EmDeeAr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

If this car takes 4th to get to 60, I will not purchase it.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.