CUE System and Color Choice
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, CUE System and Color Choice in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey guys, I will be ordering an ATS is the next few weeks for a lease. I am getting the ...
    EmDeeAr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Talking CUE System and Color Choice

Hey guys,

I will be ordering an ATS is the next few weeks for a lease.

I am getting the 2.0T engine with the Standard Trim with the 6-speed manual transmission. I am SOO excited for this thing. As far as options goes, there are none that I really want. The only option I am considering is the CUE system. Here is where I need advice!

Since my car will be the Standard Trim, the CUE system does not come with navigation, nor can it be optioned with it. This being said, if I get the CUE system, it will be purely for entertainment. I kind of see this as counterintuitive because one would expect a system with a big screen to have navigation. What I'm saying is that the CUE system without navigation seems empty and feels like a waste of $1,000+ dollars. I'll admit, though, I have not spent any considerable amount of time playing around with the CUE system, so I might like it even without navigation.

What do you guys think? If I opt for the CUE system, my monthly payments won't go up too much because the car is going to be leased. Still, I currently feel it to be a waste without navigation.

Colors:
    Exterior - I'm pretty much set on black. I'll probably go for the basic black (I think it's called Black Raven) because it seems more solid without the metallic sparkles. Is the more expensive paint that much better looking? Better quality?

Interior - For the Standard Trim, there are only a maximum of two leatherette color options - black or beige. I'd love to get a classic black on black car, but the headliner and pillars are light gray. In my opinion, this throws off the whole total blackness, if you get what I mean. The beige looks really sweet, especially since (at least from the online builder) the headliner and pillars are black instead of gray. (Is this actually like this in "real life", or it just shown that way on the online builder?)

Thanks for reading! I am very picky about how I like my cars, and I want to be totally satisfied with this one! Let's see some opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Re: CUE System and Color Choice

I have a standard trim ats for the day as a loaner car. The interior is black, with the grey headliner. this is the same way my cts is. I dont mind the contrast. All black i think would be too dark. I agree wih you that when i was playing ith the CUE system, not having gps on that large screen seemed weird. but i think that its still very functional and that you should only get the nav if you plan on using the nav. I have the nav in my cts and i never use it, so that extra 2k or so would of been nice to get off the sticker, but i couldnt find a car without it.

For the exterior black, I hav had 3 black raven cadillacs, personally i think the metallic black makes the car look dirty all the time. I actually liek the stardard wheels too. they fit the car well. The back up camera is neat.

Great post, thanks for the input.

More opinions always welcome.

HoustonMidtown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I test drove a couple ATS' last night, the dealer said the nav is sd-card based (not hard drive) and could be added after the fact if you decide you need it (and your car didn't come with it)...I'm just repeating what I was told, I can't confirm that it's true as I haven't tried it.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDeeAr
    Hey guys,

I will be ordering an ATS is the next few weeks for a lease.

I am getting the 2.0T engine with the Standard Trim with the 6-speed manual transmission. I am SOO excited for this thing. As far as options goes, there are none that I really want. The only option I am considering is the CUE system. Here is where I need advice!

Since my car will be the Standard Trim, the CUE system does not come with navigation, nor can it be optioned with it. This being said, if I get the CUE system, it will be purely for entertainment. I kind of see this as counterintuitive because one would expect a system with a big screen to have navigation. What I'm saying is that the CUE system without navigation seems empty and feels like a waste of $1,000+ dollars. I'll admit, though, I have not spent any considerable amount of time playing around with the CUE system, so I might like it even without navigation.

What do you guys think? If I opt for the CUE system, my monthly payments won't go up too much because the car is going to be leased. Still, I currently feel it to be a waste without navigation.

Colors:
    Exterior - I'm pretty much set on black. I'll probably go for the basic black (I think it's called Black Raven) because it seems more solid without the metallic sparkles. Is the more expensive paint that much better looking? Better quality?

Interior - For the Standard Trim, there are only a maximum of two leatherette color options - black or beige. I'd love to get a classic black on black car, but the headliner and pillars are light gray. In my opinion, this throws off the whole total blackness, if you get what I mean. The beige looks really sweet, especially since (at least from the online builder) the headliner and pillars are black instead of gray. (Is this actually like this in "real life", or it just shown that way on the online builder?)

Thanks for reading! I am very picky about how I like my cars, and I want to be totally satisfied with this one! Let's see some opinions.
    I'll try to answer your question on the paint as I have the Black Diamond tri-coat on my '12 CTS Premium Coupe.

When I was buying last March, I was sure I was going to get the White Diamond Tri-coat with ebony interior.

I test drove a Performance trim white coupe, but it had the tan interior. It was near closing time so the night ended with the test drive. The next day the sales rep called me asking what I thought and I told him that I wanted to see the ebony interior in the Premium trim level. He said that he had Premium coupes with ebony interior, just not in White diamond. I told him that was OK, I just wanted to see the interior.

Well I get to the dealer and there sitting waiting for me was a Premium Black Raven Coupe with the ebony interior. I immediately thought to myself, "damn, this looks nice".

I took it home to have my family look at it and they were no help. My wife liked the white, kids liked the black. I went back to the dealer and had them park the White Diamond and the Black Raven next to each other. I really was having a hard time. I must've walked around those two cars for an hour trying to decide.

I finally decided on the Black Raven, and I also felt good since I would be saving some money in not paying the premium for the upgraded diamond tri-coat paint.

The only thing was that the Black Raven coupe I had been looking at didn't have the sunroof, and even though the sunroof on the coupe doesn't open all the way, I wanted it for the extra light.

Dealer came back and said they didn't have one in stock. I told them that it was OK, "just locate one". I wasn't in a hurry. They then did a search within 200 miles and couldn't find one. Again I said I wasn't in a hurry. I could wait.

They then came back with an offer. They said that their finance manager had just started driving a loaded Premium Coupe, but it had the Black Diamond tri-coat. Would I want to look at it?

They brought it into the service bay and I immediately fell in love with it. Under the lights the paint just pops. Since the car had just under 300 miles on it, I was able to negotiate down the premium charge for the paint on top of what we had already negotiated for the price of the car.

The interesting thing is that if you look at the car outside of the direct sunlight, it just looks black. Once the sun hits it, like I said the paint pops and it looks so deep if seems like you can reach in up to your elbow.

I get a ton of compliments on my car. The Black Raven is sharp, and I saw a premium level ATS in that color with the ebony interior when i was in for an oil change and it was very nice, but I don't regret getting the Black Diamond tri-coat.

The con though might be in getting the color and metal flake to match if the car ever had to get resprayed. I work for an insurance company and the head claims guy told me , "you better hope that you never have to paint that car out of your own pocket", as the paint is very expensive.

Something to consider, but probably not a big deal as long as the car is insured.

Haha, cool story.

I'm not worried about the cost of paint repair, as I don't plan on wrecking the car, haha. Things happen, but I don't want that to be part of my decision process. I'm also not worried about the price of the premium paint over the base paint because the $995 extra that it is will hardly make a dent in my monthly payments (which will likely be spread over 39 months). This being said, I am purely concerned about looks.

I feel that the black raven is more solid, and that the sparkly paint is more flashy (not in a bad way). I feel like an Escalade should be black diamond, where as an entry-level ATS should be a little more conservative with the black raven. These are my thoughts thus far.

You made a good point - I should look at the two colors side-by-side. I'll do that ASAP.

Great story, by the way.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
    Hey guys,

What I'm saying is that the CUE system without navigation seems empty and feels like a waste of $1,000+ dollars. I'll admit, though, I have not spent any considerable amount of time playing around with the CUE system, so I might like it even without navigation.
    Don't forget, you get a free iPad with CUE, so that takes some of the sting out!

Seriously, I think if you don't get CUE, you will be kicking yourself months later. It's just one of those things that puts you into the next generation of car. Any passengers who have read about the ATS will wonder where the CUE is. You'll be reading posts on this board asking how to upgrade a non-CUE car to CUE. People will ask if there are "kits", etc. Better off getting it from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
    Haha, cool story.

I'm not worried about the cost of paint repair, as I don't plan on wrecking the car, haha. Things happen, but I don't want that to be part of my decision process. I'm also not worried about the price of the premium paint over the base paint because the $995 extra that it is will hardly make a dent in my monthly payments (which will likely be spread over 39 months). This being said, I am purely concerned about looks.

I feel that the black raven is more solid, and that the sparkly paint is more flashy (not in a bad way). I feel like an Escalade should be black diamond, where as an entry-level ATS should be a little more conservative with the black raven. These are my thoughts thus far.

You made a good point - I should look at the two colors side-by-side. I'll do that ASAP.

Great story, by the way.
    Good that you will look at the two. As I alluded in my post, the tri-coat is like two different paints. On a cloudy day it just looks black. Get some direct light on it and it sparkles. I really don't think it looks over the top.

I also agree to get CUE. My last four cars have included navigation and I wish I can count how many times I've read posts where people have wondered about retro-fitting or just wish they had done it.

yeah people will make comments like, "Well a Garmin only costs me $199 and I can take it with me".

While that is true, there is something to be said about buying s classy car and then having a GPS unit suctioned cupped to the windshield with a cord hanging from it. The in-dash units are also faster. I use a portable Garmin Nuvi for our '06 Mustang convertible and I don't care what anyone says, it is slower and doesn't compare to the in-dash units in my CTS, in my wife's BMW X5, and the one in my son's 2009 Mazda 6.

There is something to also be said for the integration between the Bluetooth and the navigation where you can send phone numbers for POIs right to your linked phone. I know that some portable units will link via Bluetooth with your phone, but if your phone is already linked with the car, I don't think it can then be linked to another device.

Now add CUE to it and I think you would be kicking yourself for not getting it.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Please get CUE. If you don't, you will regret your purchase.

Something else to add. This may seem odd, but the Black Diamond seems to be a bit more forgiving if the car gets a little dirty or gets dust on it. Since the paint has the metal flake in it, minor dirt doesn't make it seem dirty.

I know it sounds wierd, but that's what I've noticed.

ladypro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Premium Awd Black Raven/Ebony

is their much of a difference between black ice $495 (srx) and the black diamond $995 from what you described the black diamond is darker

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Get the Black. While it shows dirt nothing looks better when it is clean. Go either way with the CUE and make sure you get a trunk pass thru and folding rear seats. Then let me know when you trade the lease in so I can buy it. I'm only interested in used, black, manual transmission wih folding seats so I can take the skis.

As far as the CUE system goes, you guys have all made good points. But, like I said before, the CUE system does not come with navigation on the 2.0T standard. Should I still get it even though it wont have navigation?

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Get C.U.E. Even if you don't get it with nav. You'll get the big screen which is nice for the backup cam. It handles large ammts. Of music great, and in a nice car like the ATS it just plain looks much better in the console than the plain looking radio setup you'd get otherwise.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Get the Black. While it shows dirt nothing looks better when it is clean. Go either way with the CUE and make sure you get a trunk pass thru and folding rear seats. Then let me know when you trade the lease in so I can buy it. I'm only interested in used, black, manual transmission wih folding seats so I can take the skis.
    You can't get the std with the folding rear seats. This is a must for my wife and I because we are avid golfers and the trunk is too small without it. You can only get the fold down seats in the Luxury and premium pkg, its not available in std and performance trim.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.