Cadillac Paint Questions
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac Paint Questions in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; While I'm not sure what color is my favorite until I see them in person, I'm wondering about the quality ...
    AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Cadillac Paint Questions

While I'm not sure what color is my favorite until I see them in person, I'm wondering about the quality of the paint that Cadillac has already been using on the CTS' and they will also use on the ATS.

For example are the Radiant Silver Metallic, Thunder Gray ChromaFlair or the Crystal Red Tintcoat durable colors over the life of the car? I know that some years ago, silvers, reds and gray colors tended to fade or even crack over time.

Is this still the case with modern paint? I'm pretty meticulous with detailing and waxinig, but the car will be parked in the blistering Georgia sun all year long.

Does anyone have any insignt into what I can expect from these colors and if they're more prone to deterioration than other colors?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Re: Cadillac Paint Questions

I have a 08 Thunder Gray CTS and no, it doesn't fade.

That's what I thought. I don't see many Cadillacs with dingy paint unless they are very, very old! Thanks!

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Stone chips will be your major concern. Otherwise GM uses quality ppg paint and a ceramic clear, the same stuff on corvette's. it's not the best in the industry, but it will last as long as you can take care of it.

I've seen some Lexus' with a clear wrap on the front end of the cars to protect them from stones. Do those work to protect the car from stone chips? The hood and front bumper of my Black Raven DTS almost needs to be repainted due to road rash, but it's the long haul car and the ATS won't be.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Yes! Get clear bras for any car you care about. And get a garage, even if it's just a temp...
    TheCaptain and TheCaptain like this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Where do you get a clear bra for the car? Maybe I should have the DTS painted and one installed on it as the front of the car is bad with road rash.

Both will be garaged evenings and weekends, but unfortunately my office has an outdoor open parking lot w/o even trees for shade and it will bake in the 8 hrs. during the hottest part of the day....

They work, certinally. It depends on whether you want to put up with the way the look when applied to the car however. Some people don't mind it. Other people (like myself) would rather not use them. The black car was slightly pitted in the clear(only noticeable with a sun gun and 3" away)and there were only a few acutal down to metal chips when it was 9500 miles old. So far the blue car has faired much better, and I'd say if you're super careful or don't DD, then so far it's starting to look like they've worked out a lot of the soft qualities of this water based paint.

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

I hate the look of the clear bra, I would rather repair the chips than have that bra on there.
    JimmyH, JimmyH, M5eater and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HansK View Post
    I hate the look of the clear bra, I would rather repair the chips than have that bra on there.
    seemless jobs are probably pretty good, but so far I've only seen the pre-cut kits (which look awful) and a good seemless job will set you back 2-3 grand. So then what's the point? As much as I'm a detail nerd, the CTS-V isn't a 250K Ferrari. $2-3K will repaint the front-end every 10 years if I want.
    JimmyH and JimmyH like this.

Wow they're that expensive? Yes I do a lot of rural driving, which is where I pick up most of the sand, rocks and debris that pit the front end of the car. However, I also live in metro Atlanta and it’s always just a matter of time until something nasty comes off of the road or a truck in front of me and has the car in the shop getting painted anyway…. So for me the clear bra would be an exercise in futility since it’s inevitable that I’m going to be hit by a an old muffler or part of another car on I-285 anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    Wow they're that expensive? Yes I do a lot of rural driving, which is where I pick up most of the sand, rocks and debris that pit the front end of the car. However, I also live in metro Atlanta and it’s always just a matter of time until something nasty comes off of the road or a truck in front of me and has the car in the shop getting painted anyway…. So for me the clear bra would be an exercise in futility since it’s inevitable that I’m going to be hit by a an old muffler or part of another car on I-285 anyway!
    a quality seemeless front fenders/hood/bumper/ side view mirros is a couple of grand, yes.

The pre-cut kits are much cheaper, and usually the install is worse as well. You may have to deal with streach marks or very small bubbles/ having 1/4" gap all long the edges, ect.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Clear bras, ack. They make the front of your car look faded after they are about a year old. I have 33000 miles on my Camaro (over Chicago's lousy roads), and I don't even have a chip yet. GM uses good paint. Japanese cars on the other hand, it's like crayon. I put 185000 on my Maxima and it looked like it had acne. Then again, that was over 10 years ago, their paint might be better now.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Clear bras, ack. They make the front of your car look faded after they are about a year old. I have 33000 miles on my Camaro (over Chicago's lousy roads), and I don't even have a chip yet. GM uses good paint. Japanese cars on the other hand, it's like crayon. I put 185000 on my Maxima and it looked like it had acne. Then again, that was over 10 years ago, their paint might be better now.
    Teenagers have acne, seems legit.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

lulz

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.