Top Gear ATS Drive - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Top Gear ATS Drive in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by concorso TG was the 1st car show I know of to put an emphasis on engaging videography. ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by concorso
    TG was the 1st car show I know of to put an emphasis on engaging videography. Even with the criticism they levied on the 1st gen V, I know people who were blown away on how good it looked cruising around the track. Life is too short to watch boring TV, especially boring car shows. TG makes me angry and happy... Autoweek, by comparison, makes me sleepy...
    I agree and am glad I wondered if I was the only one who noticed. They really do a nice job with the video.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Top Gear ATS Drive

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    TG was the 1st car show I know of to put an emphasis on engaging videography. Even with the criticism they levied on the 1st gen V, I know people who were blown away on how good it looked cruising around the track. Life is too short to watch boring TV, especially boring car shows. TG makes me angry and happy... Autoweek, by comparison, makes me sleepy...
    To be honest, their critisims were ones founded in other car magazines (bland interior, cheapness, ect), and they *did* acknowledge that the car was a serious contender for a sports sedan. It just wasn't polished, the styling was very love or hate for that time, and it cost way too much after import taxes.

The only genuine complaining was maybe the bonging, and I find that annoying as well.

I also agree with your boring TV assessment.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    To be honest, their critisims were ones founded in other car magazines (bland interior, cheapness, ect), and they *did* acknowledge that the car was a serious contender for a sports sedan. It just wasn't polished, the styling was very love or hate for that time, and it cost way too much after import taxes.

The only genuine complaining was maybe the bonging, and I find that annoying as well.

I also agree with your boring TV assessment.
    I agree. They will always nitpick on obvious annoyances. As someone who watches a lot of TG, it was actually a pretty positive review of the V1. You just have to understand their comedy to see it...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I would rather watch The Big Bang Theory. Now that's comedy.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

exbagboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium White Diamond

I would rather watch The Big Bang Theory. Now that's comedy.
    Really? I hope you're being sarcastic.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by exbagboy View Post
    Really? I hope you're being sarcastic.
    That's the best come back you have after 5+ months?

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

REGARDLESS!!!! people seem to take TGUK seriously (for whatever reason) and the fact that they're praising a north American car as a 3 series true competitor ( even a bit better) is big, and I'm thrilled to see it.

P.S I love TG.UK.. its just funny and I dont take it too seriously but its better than a lot of the crap we get over here for television.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    REGARDLESS!!!! people seem to take TGUK seriously (for whatever reason) and the fact that they're praising a north American car as a 3 series true competitor ( even a bit better) is big, and I'm thrilled to see it.
    Are you saying TGUK reviewed the ATS on the show or just the article on their web site?

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

well just the article, they didn't do it on the show (yet) but still.... its another positive review on the ATS, this one buy TGUK, which is odd. I sort of went on a tangent about the show lol

Yeah the article was good. Is the ATS the only American car they ever liked except the Ford GT? Which they couldn't very well slam because the press would have found out Jeremy bought one and call BS.

I was hoping they got around to testing an ATS on the show.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

In one of their US special episodes, they drove CTS-V2, Challenger, and Corvette, and they loved all three of them. As for the GT, they praised it, however, after Jeremy owned one, and sold it, and bought it again, he made negative comments about the car. Also, Richard Hammond test drove the first gen CTS and overall, he liked it. He didn't like cheap interior of CTS though, which I agree with him.

Jagular is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, off-set wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Yeah the article was good. Is the ATS the only American car they ever liked except the Ford GT? Which they couldn't very well slam because the press would have found out Jeremy bought one and call BS.

I was hoping they got around to testing an ATS on the show.
    Richard Hammond likes American cars, especially the muscle cars. James May and Clarkson think anything made in the US is rubbish.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    In one of their US special episodes, they drove CTS-V2, Challenger, and Corvette, and they loved all three of them. As for the GT, they praised it, however, after Jeremy owned one, and sold it, and bought it again, he made negative comments about the car.
    Interesting. I didn't see that one. I'll have to check it out.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

^
    I almost forgot that! Richard loves muscle cars, and if I am not mistaken, he drove a classic Charger in one of episodes.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jagular View Post

Interesting. I didn't see that one. I'll have to check it out.
    http://jalopnik.com/5081442/top-gear...they-like-them

bp044 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium

Why the 2 litre turbo instead of the 3.6

Bullitt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bp044 View Post
    Why the 2 litre turbo instead of the 3.6
    The 3.6 is not available in Europe on ATS. Nobody knows why (but this is GM known for no-logical decisions in Europe). Hence, ATS is 'barely available' in Europe (only in a few markets) and except for some journalists and enthusiasts nobody knows about it's existence. That's a shame because ATS is a kind of car that would make Cadillac gain some ground in Europe if it was marketed properly. As far as TG is concerned, it's a clown show. Nevertheless their opinions count even if they are complete BS. If they said on the TV that Cadillac interior's craftsmanshift is on the level of Dacia, common viewers would take it for granted. It's a proof they are stupid but this how TV magic works, especially if a show is done as well as TG and has high budget. If I were You, I wouldn't treat TG magazine the same as TV show. Many times have I read positive comments about U.S. cars on paper that were bashed later by Clarkson on TV screen. Secondly, i would love to see an American alternative bashing almost non-existent British car industry, quality of cars they used to make, rotten teeth of British people, Clarkson's dirty creased shirt etc. C'mon America, You can do it! It would be fun.
    donavo likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.