Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Prices Added to ATS Configurator

23K views 154 replies 27 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 · (Edited)
#51 ·
The 3 series will still out perform the ats at least the first generation. The ats will only get better and better with time and engineering! It's a beautiful car which gets expensive real fast if you want decent options! To say its nicer than a 2012 Mercedes C class I'm not sure about that! The c class at 35,000 comes with better standard options. They don't skimp the way gm does and always has! Cadillac should of kept the exterior the same across the board like Mercedes does! You shouldn't have to pay an extra 10,000 for the performance edition to get the lower LEDs and metal insert! That just does not make sense! Mercedes lower LEDs are standard. The Cadillac does not look as nice without them but not worth 10k in packages upgrades to get them! The c has many more years of engineering than the ats first generation! Don't believe me....go down to your local Mercedes and test drive one! You can tell they thought about everything and did not skimp on a single thing! They aren't afraid to go above and beyond what the consumer expects! The Cadillac is not built as good as a mercedes....it just isn't and never will be! I speak from experience and I own and love my Cadillac! The 2012 Mercedes C with the exterior refresh and the interior redesign is absolutely stunning!

#53 ·
#58 ·
To those picking on the MKZ; I have flogged an early Ford Fusion, and for a front-driver, it handles, very, very well. Aside from the styling, I don't understand why it is getting picked on. On public roads, the handling difference between an MKZ and a CTS will be negligible.

As for pricing, I think ALL cars are getting outrageously expensive. If the ATS is going to push over $50k, that's too much for me.

#59 ·
Ditto on the ATS prices, but just wait until the 3rd Gen CTS comes out for some really outrageous prices. GM may be near bankruptcy again if the economy does not improve, which seems like a given regardless of who occupies the Casa Blanca on 20 January, but I do know who will not bail GM out next time.

#71 ·
AtlantaGuy00 said:
For parking it's fine, but me personally I don't need a lane departure system. That thing would be beeping (if it beeps) and shaking all the time. I'm definately looking for one without that feature.
Actually, lane departure only activates if the wheel isn't turned- your signal has nothing to do with it.

If your wheel is straight and the car drifts out of lane, it alerts you. If the lane change is intentional, nothing happens.

#73 ·
I think the biggest misconception is that Cadillac just arbitrarily "decided" to price the ATS comparably to the 3 series. This is false.

In the past, even when benchmarking a competitor, GM has built vehicles while looking for ways during design to undercut the cost of their rival. Usually this means heavier or lower cost materials, which allowed them to offer a similar size and featured product but for less money. With the ATS, the cost factor was mostly ignored during the engineering phase, instead focusing on weight. In fact, the design team were given the mantra "Every day, every engineer, every gram" during development. Instead of building the car to meet a price point, they did what they needed to in order to make a car that genuinely compared to or exceeded the competition.

As far as lease cost, residuals and incentives, all three are not compatible. High incentives hurt resale value, which is why in the past, BMWs have held higher residuals than Cadillac. Over the last few years this has started changing however- Edmunds.com gave the award for "Best Resale Value, Sedan over $40k" to the CTS, and "Best Resale Value, Luxury Brand" to Acura, Lexus and Cadillac.

See full list here

People seem to want it both ways. They want tons of incentives on the new cars to make them affordable, but then want a high resale value- the two are incompatible. Cars with high resale values have good reviews, high demand and low incentives. If you want affordable leases on the ATS, then you should hope sales are brisk and incentives are not needed. THAT will lead to high residuals and low leasing.

#74 ·
Cadillac Tony said:
I think the biggest misconception is that Cadillac just arbitrarily "decided" to price the ATS comparably to the 3 series. This is false.

In the past, even when benchmarking a competitor, GM has built vehicles while looking for ways during design to undercut the cost of their rival. Usually this means heavier or lower cost materials, which allowed them to offer a similar size and featured product but for less money. With the ATS, the cost factor was mostly ignored during the engineering phase, instead focusing on weight. In fact, the design team were given the mantra "Every day, every engineer, every gram" during development. Instead of building the car to meet a price point, they did what they needed to in order to make a car that genuinely compared to or exceeded the competition.

As far as lease cost, residuals and incentives, all three are not compatible. High incentives hurt resale value, which is why in the past, BMWs have held higher residuals than Cadillac. Over the last few years this has started changing however- Edmunds.com gave the award for "Best Resale Value, Sedan over $40k" to the CTS, and "Best Resale Value, Luxury Brand" to Acura, Lexus and Cadillac.

See full list here

People seem to want it both ways. They want tons of incentives on the new cars to make them affordable, but then want a high resale value- the two are incompatible. Cars with high resale values have good reviews, high demand and low incentives. If you want affordable leases on the ATS, then you should hope sales are brisk and incentives are not needed. THAT will lead to high residuals and low leasing.
That is exactly why the ATS is a sensation amoungst the automotive press. The listened to the engineers NOT the accountants and other bean counters. Good stuff indeed and the market will pay fir something they really want. Ie: Harley -Davidson. People willing to spend more because they want one.

#76 ·
Ok, yes Cadillac is alone in pricing their 'entry-level' car at the same price as their 'big' car in the luxury market for one reason. The XTS is cheap as hell compared to the competition. No one thinks the XTS is comparable to a 7 series or an A8. It's not the same kind of car, that fact alone negates your comparison. Yes, I can see why you think it's odd that the small and large car are so close in price, but that doesn't mean something is wrong. It's just different from the competition.

#77 ·
Ok, yes Cadillac is alone in pricing their 'entry-level' car at the same price as their 'big' car in the luxury market for one reason. The XTS is cheap as hell compared to the competition.
So the XTS is cheap compared to the competition and the ATS costs as much as the competition. This is causing the price/value conflict within Cadillac I've been talking about since my first post.

No one thinks the XTS is comparable to a 7 series or an A8. It's not the same kind of car, that fact alone negates your comparison.
"My comparison"? I never compared the XTS to a 7-series or an A8. I think this is the third time that I'm pointing out that I was talking about pricing WITHIN the brand and I only mentioned the A8 and 7-series because they have about the same size as the XTS. Besides that, what "kind of car" is the XTS if not a luxury sedan? I just like to know since you mentioned its competition. If you take out the 7-series, A8 and Mercedes S-Class and consider the Lincoln MKS as its main competition, you might have a better comparison - but looking at the MKS, the XTS isn't "cheap as hell" anymore.

#79 ·
Just did the ATS fully loaded with all options comes out to 55K...that's too much. The car has to come in at 5K under the 3-series at the upper trims. Otherwise there's no point in getting it...big mistake. I'm not paying 55K for an entry level sports sedan. I want MRC, Nav, AWD, sunroof and 3.6V6 for just about 50K...if I'm going to pay 55K why not get a 335i with a twin turbo...really???

Can I expect to pay 65K for a non-V Cadillac CTS next year...puh-lease!!!

#81 ·
I have ordered before, I think with something that is brand new it's a gamble. You might be able to get the exact car you want on the lot sooner than your order would arrive, but odds are against it. If you're talking about something like a VW (which we aren't) where you basically get 3 option packages then you have good odds but with cars like Cadillacs where there are more options/combinations it doesn't seem likely you'll walk on the lot and find it.

#82 ·
blackonblackNYC said:
Just did the ATS fully loaded with all options comes out to 55K...that's too much. The car has to come in at 5K under the 3-series at the upper trims. Otherwise there's no point in getting it...big mistake. I'm not paying 55K for an entry level sports sedan. I want MRC, Nav, AWD, sunroof and 3.6V6 for just about 50K...if I'm going to pay 55K why not get a 335i with a twin turbo...really???
Yeah, and I want to date Jessica Biel, but it doesn't mean it's realistic.

Your OPINION may be that the car needs to be less expensive than the 335, but then again the 3 doesn't allow you to remotely lock, unlock or start the car with your smartphone, doesn't have CUE, Brembo brakes, MRC, unique styling and more.

There's always going to be people willing to pay a price premium for a badge, and more power to ya. While you're flying under the radar in your generic 3 series, I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to buy that ATS you passed up and enjoy all the extra equipment for the same price. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.