Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES''
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES'' in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ts_first_test/ The singular question, then, is whether Cadillac can back it up. Given Cadillac's boasting and GM's general long-standing but ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES''

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ts_first_test/

The singular question, then, is whether Cadillac can back it up. Given Cadillac's boasting and GM's general long-standing but finally fading habit of overpromising and under-delivering, I was skeptical. That new 3 Series is damn good, and I should know -- I'm assigned to MT's long-term 328i. Has Cadillac really done it?

The answer is yes.
    Jesda, Jesda, thebigjimsho and 5 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    That's awesome !!
    concorso and concorso like this.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES''

The big unknown is how this will relate to sales. The 3 series has consistently stayed between 100 and 120k units for the last 15 years or so, with a few years exceeding that. I doubt the ATS will beat the 3 series in sales. I want it to, but common sense tells me that opinions havent changed that drastically yet. The CTS has consistently been in the 55-70 range. Is it too far fetched to think the ATS could break 80? Maybe 85? Has Cadillac said what they are hoping for?

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    The big unknown is how this will relate to sales. The 3 series has consistently stayed between 100 and 120k units for the last 15 years or so, with a few years exceeding that. I doubt the ATS will beat the 3 series in sales. I want it to, but common sense tells me that opinions havent changed that drastically yet. The CTS has consistently been in the 55-70 range. Is it too far fetched to think the ATS could break 80? Maybe 85? Has Cadillac said what they are hoping for?
    If the ATS manages 80-85 and the CTS drops to even half of it's current volume, I think that would be a victory for them. What's Mercedes and Audi putting out these days? A more reasonable goal would be to top the A4 or C-class. It will take generations of ATS's to topple BMW sales unless BMW slips up a refresh/new model.

ryanwgregg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T

Very good read....we shall see where we get with a full review and better timing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwgregg View Post
    Very good read....we shall see where we get with a full review and better timing equipment.
    acutally beating the 3 series? That's a tall order, almost an impossible one, certinally the opportunity is there for the taking as the 3 series has become bloated over the years, but it's also had decades of refinement. The ATS is in it's first generation.

realisticly, I think if it's as good as the 3 series, it would be a victory. The CTS was almost as good as the 3/5 series, but it always fell short on more than one or two details, you always choose the CTS because it was a great compromise. If the only items Motor-trend have to complain about is the base engine no one will buy anyway and the bland cluster.. that's a great start.

DG2
    Edmunds Inside line was very criticle of the engine selections but overall gave the ATS glowing review. Going be very interesting in the soon to come comparison. They did a great job and really deserve all the high praise they are getting.

I do think that the ATS will be an enormous success and will take a much bigger bite from BMW then everyone is thinking.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    acutally beating the 3 series? That's a tall order, almost an impossible one, certinally the opportunity is there for the taking as the 3 series has become bloated over the years, but it's also had decades of refinement. The ATS is in it's first generation.

realisticly, I think if it's as good as the 3 series, it would be a victory. The CTS was almost as good as the 3/5 series, but it always fell short on more than one or two details, you always choose the CTS because it was a great compromise. If the only items Motor-trend have to complain about is the base engine no one will buy anyway and the bland cluster.. that's a great start.
    Those years of refinement have ingrained the 3 series in peoples minds as the go-to sport sedan from a luxury brand. Cadillacs reputation has improved, especially in the demographic that will buy sport sedans. The 3 series hasnt made any serious missteps, tho. Sure its gotten a little larger, a little softer, but its always been the best drivers car up to now. IF the ATS can match the 3 series, especially in the 'talked about' models, and Cadillac hits another homerun with the next CTS, I could certainly see the 2nd ATS actually beating the 3 series in some years. Just to be clear, Im talking about the N.American market. It might take 1 or 2 more generations for the ATS to make any headway in the world market.

Heres a question. Does Cadillac really want the ATS to beat the 3 series right away? Can you imagine the size of the target on Cadillacs back that BMW will then be aiming for? Im not sure sales leader is as important as having comparable sales #'s.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

No one is going to beat the 3-series. Motortrend will not allow that.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    Motor Trend is the most pro American car magazine on the market. They are huge GM fans as well. Car&Driver , Road and Track , Automobile are the worst and I'm convinced they own substantial stock in BMW.

One is the same as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Journalists are people. They're subject to bias like the rest of us. Decades of the 3 series reigning supreme over it's feeble lower-cast siblings will not be washed away by a single good vehicle that is still marketing as a good value car.

All these reviews saying that the ATS is so good that they'd have to drive both back-to-back to tell a difference is the highest praise that they've bestowed to any compact sedan since the 3 series took the crown that I'm aware of.

Let alone one that;
    1) costs less
    2) is in it's first generation
    3) is associated with a brand that only recently disposed of a car like the DTS from it's lineup.
    4) is American made.
    5) has no faults other than the interior might be a bit too conservative.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    Journalists are people. They're subject to bias like the rest of us. Decades of the 3 series reigning supreme over it's feeble lower-cast siblings will not be washed away by a single good vehicle that is still marketing as a good value car.

All these reviews saying that the ATS is so good that they'd have to drive both back-to-back to tell a difference is the highest praise that they've bestowed to any compact sedan since the 3 series took the crown that I'm aware of.

Let alone one that;
    1) costs less
    2) is in it's first generation
    3) is associated with a brand that only recently disposed of a car like the DTS from it's lineup.
    4) is American made.
    5) has no faults other than the interior might be a bit too conservative.
    Well said. This ATS is really causing a wonderful sensation out there. Fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    That's what I am talking about right there. Why does it matter if Cadillac makes an ATS and a DTS? What does one have to do with the other? MT, CD, R&T; they judge based on image, not ability. And their journalists are not people. They are cogs in machines that are rapidly becoming extinct. Very few consumers really care what they think. Motortrend is pseudo-entertainment, not journalism. Just like Top Gear.

Why does it matter if Cadillac makes an ATS and a DTS? What does one have to do with the other?
    Brand image. You want to take on BMW? You need to dump the image that you can be associated with car's like the DTS.

MT, CD, R&T; they judge based on image, not ability.
    The reality is though; Image sells cars, it's what this country's entire social environment revolves around in fact.

it's why Totoya's sales sank like the titanic in wake of the unintended acceleration crap, never mind that they almost all turned out to be bogus, or that all their other cars were perfectly fine. It's why every word and mis-spoken phrase by anyone with authority or fame is broken down and turning into something it's not or analyzed to demonize said person.
    Image good sir, is a big deal, I dare say it's more important than anything else. It's why even though the latest generation Civic is basically worse than the one before it, it continues to sell well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.