Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES'' - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES'' in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I was at the dealer last week and looked at an XTS. Not really my kind of car, but I ...
    stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Re: Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES''

I was at the dealer last week and looked at an XTS. Not really my kind of car, but I got to see the configurable dash in person, which I wanted to see. Interior was very well executed, I thought. The sales guy was not thinking the XTS will be a volume seller, but he was expecting the ATS to do very well. I tend to agree, if for no other reason than pricing. The ATS is priced a little below bmw'er and they wisely offered many engines/features so entry can be quite low. I suspect if the ATS sells 100K+ units/yr gm management will be pee-ing their pants. Maybe in a couple of years after caddy continues to rebuild reputation they can hit those kinds of numbers. I am probably going to keep my CTS until the CTS update comes out. I am pretty tall (6,5) so I may shop an ATS, but will likely want the extra space of the CTS.

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    They will once their sales numbers go down. My point was with the new ATS, XTS and especially the 2014 CTS the Germans will see a big drop in sales. 4 years from now once the flagship comes out from Cadillac their numbers will go down even further.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    When I am ready to replace my '05 STS I am going have a difficult decision between XTS,ATS and possibly wait for "14 CTS. If I were going buy right now I would go with XTS. I am a salesman and pretty much live in my car driving over 25,000 miles per year. I often take clients out to dinners/ lunch so the XTS has far more "creature comforts" for me. Albeit , I love the sportiness of the ATS.

DSNCB919 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
    Ive always been interested in the ATS due to so many options in paint and interior and just plently of custom options.. but when reality hits I'm currently in a 03 DTS which I'm holding until times right.. I love that red interior but I'm afraid of a small car, I drive my friends Malibu sometimes And feel slightly closterfobic..

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    Judging by this forum alone, Cadillac has alienated alot of customers by discontinuing the DTS. Just as Ford is alienating alot of customers by discontinuing the Crown Vic. I just don't understand why there is no room in the market for both new and old.
    That is the key point...there is room.

If the ATS is as good as it appears, and Cadillac ranges from it all the way up to the ESV, there is definitely room to: keep the DTS (at least until Omega launches), add ATS, add XTS, add a Lambda...

There are still DTS buyers (yes, a bunch of them are old and a bunch are fleet...both "dirty" words in today's market). Ford is just as stupid for killing the Panther.

Yes, there are still those here who think Cadillac died in '96 when the last FWB went off the line, and that they should still be making 1992 Broughams. But it is funny how most DTS drivers I see are just fine with developing new models, even if they would never buy one.

I like the looks of the ATS -- I hope they sell a ton of them. I like the current CTS as well. I doubt I'll ever buy one of either, given their size. The XTS is nice in a lot of ways, but I'd want more (preferably V8) power.

V drivers, on the other hand, are typically much less...inclusive.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Something for everyone.... I'm going to replace a Mazda Miata MX5 with the ATS, so for me I'm getting a larger car! lol. I still have my DTS for when I need big. But, for a daily driver around metro Atlanta I like the size of the small Cadillac. I think the ATS will fill a perfect sweet spot... small, Cadillac amenities and powerful. But I wouldn't want it to be my only car.
    hueterm and hueterm like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by hueterm

That is the key point...there is room.

If the ATS is as good as it appears, and Cadillac ranges from it all the way up to the ESV, there is definitely room to: keep the DTS (at least until Omega launches), add ATS, add XTS, add a Lambda...

There are still DTS buyers (yes, a bunch of them are old and a bunch are fleet...both "dirty" words in today's market). Ford is just as stupid for killing the Panther.

Yes, there are still those here who think Cadillac died in '96 when the last FWB went off the line, and that they should still be making 1992 Broughams. But it is funny how most DTS drivers I see are just fine with developing new models, even if they would never buy one.

I like the looks of the ATS -- I hope they sell a ton of them. I like the current CTS as well. I doubt I'll ever buy one of either, given their size. The XTS is nice in a lot of ways, but I'd want more (preferably V8) power.

V drivers, on the other hand, are typically much less...inclusive.
    Why was Ford stupid for killing off the Panther? It was archaic, it was only sold to fleets since the public didn't want them anymore and they were only economical if underpowered. And, even then, only marginally.

The Town Car and the DTS both had to have these GIANT headrests for 2011. Why? Because their seats, and mounts, weren't up to current standards. The fact is, the cars were poor in current safety standards and they bring down the rest of the fleet's CAFE numbers in fuel efficiency.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

All of your points are valid, except maybe the CAFE standards. The 2011 Vic's were managing 16/24, that's not much worse than the SHO's 17/25. The million F-150's manage much worse than that. Certinally real-world MPG is different, but reality and everything there in contained does not apply to CAFE.

For a 20 year old 2 ton BOF car with a 2V V8 and a 4 speed auto, it gets very good gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    All of your points are valid, except maybe the CAFE standards. The 2011 Vic's were managing 16/24, that's not much worse than the SHO's 17/25. The million F-150's manage much worse than that. Certinally real-world MPG is different, but reality and everything there in contained does not apply to CAFE.

For a 20 year old 2 ton BOF car with a 2V V8 and a 4 speed auto, it gets very good gas mileage.
    Come on, you just compared a CV to a specialized performance sedan. Why not compare our Vs to a last gen Malibu? Have you seen the Taurus with a 2.0 EcoBoost?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Come on, you just compared a CV to a specialized performance sedan. Why not compare our Vs to a last gen Malibu? Have you seen the Taurus with a 2.0 EcoBoost?
    I compared it to a vehicle which will be replacing it.

The ecoboost 3.5 and AWD will be a no cost option, the regular FWD V6 manages what? 18/27?

Besides, CAFE is changing into what the europeans do, small volume low MPG cars are out-balanced by the 1.6L ecoboost focus's.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho

Why was Ford stupid for killing off the Panther? It was archaic, it was only sold to fleets since the public didn't want them anymore and they were only economical if underpowered. And, even then, only marginally.

The Town Car and the DTS both had to have these GIANT headrests for 2011. Why? Because their seats, and mounts, weren't up to current standards. The fact is, the cars were poor in current safety standards and they bring down the rest of the fleet's CAFE numbers in fuel efficiency.
    My last sentence, personified...

You're the one who should be mourning the Panther and buying up old stock... Considering the difficulty you're having in finding a suitable replacement....

And now you're having to resort to headrests as an argument? If I'm facing down a drunk in his pickup, I'd much rather do it in a DTS or TC where there is plenty of room between me and the interior of the car.
    NOW

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

And now you're having to resort to headrests as an argument? If I'm facing down a drunk in his pickup, I'd much rather do it in a DTS or TC where there is plenty of room between me and the interior of the car.
    Frontal sure. What about, you know, anywhere else on the car?
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=308
    Or the fact that ford gave police a $5K option for a fire extinguisher system around the tanks because they were burning cars to the ground from rear-end collisions...

Now what about the Smart fortwo..
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=632

You're the one who should be mourning the Panther and buying up old stock... Considering the difficulty you're having in finding a suitable replacement....

I have been in a multi car accident in an older Town Car. I was the middle car. My back end was crushed in about 2 feet. My front end was crumpled in about 2 feet. The Audi A6 had a cracked tail light and the gap from the rear bumper cover and rear fenders was was pinched.

I've seen pictures of 2 Vs collide on a road course at high speed. One got t-boned, one flipped and barrel-rolled about 5 times. The one t-boned wasn't totaled and the one that rolled had a passenger compartment that was not compromised.

I'd rather be in a high speed accident in my V than a low speed one in my Town Car. Period!

So the accident crumpled part of the trunk well and maybe just past the radiator?
    NOW

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Mass doesn't guarantee safety.

Did you ever see this crash test of a 2009 Malibu vs. a 1959 Bel Air?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptU...e_gdata_player

This second video is a bit longer with passenger compartment shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4f...e_gdata_player

So the accident crumpled part of the trunk well and maybe just past the radiator?
    Yeah. And I had just stopped a foot short of the A6. A Crown Vic nailed me in the back at about 15-20mph. That much damage in the front? Oh yeah, I also had to force my door open and my seat broke backwards.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.