Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES'' - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES'' in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Image and an outstanding product equal enormous success. The ATS is going to be huge....
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Image and an outstanding product equal enormous success. The ATS is going to be huge.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Re: Motor Trend ATS First Test ''Has Cadillac really done it?'' ''YES''

For me personally, I see so many BMW 3 series on the road that they don't really stand out. Aside from the fact that I'm sure it's a great car and all, they are just not unique. The Cadillac will stand out. That's part of what I like about it.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00
    For me personally, I see so many BMW 3 series on the road that they don't really stand out. Aside from the fact that I'm sure it's a great car and all, they are just not unique. The Cadillac will stand out. That's part of what I like about it.
    Excellent point. Where I live a BMW is as common as seeing a bunch of seagulls hanging out in a McDonalds parking lot. Cadillac has a fresh new line that is truly unique and a nice change from "Das auto from Deutschland ".

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

As a C&D reader for well over 30 years, I think their opinions are just about always spot on. I think your conspiracy theories are crap...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Brand image. You want to take on BMW? You need to dump the image that you can be associated with car's like the DTS.
    Screw BMW. The DTS is a wonderful car. It may not be a driver's car, but it deserves far better than the media gives it credit for. It deserved better than alot of people on this forum gave it credit for. You guys seem to forget the same sources that condemned the DTS pretty much condemned the STS-V. So please excuse me if I put absolutely no stock in Motortrend or Top Gear. I refuse to believe either source is going to have any impact on ATS sales. Consumers, not journalists, will decide whether or not the ATS is a success.
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

Absolutely JimmyH! I have a 2007 DTS Lux II and I LOVE it! It's a magnificent car! It’s big, (Yes BIG, that’s the point) comfortable, classy and powerful. It’s the choice of all my friends for road trips. It still turns heads when I pick it up from the valet! It’s reliable... After almost 5 years it’s only needed oil changes, tires and a battery. It’s loaded with all of the options and is a joy to drive. Will it beat cars off of the line on a race track? Nope. Can it corner like a big BMW? Nope. Do I care? Nope. But at speed it will smoke almost everything else when it’s time to pass, and do it with 4 adults, luggage and a full tank of gas! Quite frankly I think Cadillac did the automotive buying public a dis-service by not updating the car and continuing to manufacture a refreshed version of it. In fact, one of the reasons I’m considering the ATS is so that I can put the DTS on light duty and not use it as a commuter as I intend to keep it a long, long time. I love my DTS!
    JimmyH and JimmyH like this.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Judging by this forum alone, Cadillac has alienated alot of customers by discontinuing the DTS. Just as Ford is alienating alot of customers by discontinuing the Crown Vic. I just don't understand why there is no room in the market for both new and old.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

A dying engine and a need for plant space for BETTER cars...

DG2
    The DTS is a great car for its purpose. No, it was not designed to blast through canyon roads and twisties like a Bimmer but fir it's purpose it's a great car. One can say BMW does not make a car like the DTS ! Remember, it wasn't that long ago where BMW and any German car had NO cup holders. The copied the American car companies to not only make a simple cup holder but other "driver comfort " features fit real world driving.

Now , with the ATS , CTS, XTS Cadillac has a lineup that should have the Germans crying in their apple strudel !!! Go USA !!!!

Oh, and did I mention I regularly drive it on long road trips from Atlanta to New Orleans (480 miles) on one tank of gas averaging about 26 mpg. cruising at average of about 85 MPH (often breaking 100) many times in triple digit heat and the car performs flawlessly? The a/c is cold, the tunes are loud and the engine purring. It tracks so straight that I dont have to hold the wheel when crossing Lake Ponchetrane. The car drives itself. I dont know what else you could really want. When i-10 gets rough the DTS remains composed and easy to hande. Just update the electronics and give it a Modern 8 speed transmission and thats it. I'd buy another one.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    The big unknown is how this will relate to sales. The 3 series has consistently stayed between 100 and 120k units for the last 15 years or so, with a few years exceeding that. I doubt the ATS will beat the 3 series in sales. I want it to, but common sense tells me that opinions havent changed that drastically yet. The CTS has consistently been in the 55-70 range. Is it too far fetched to think the ATS could break 80? Maybe 85? Has Cadillac said what they are hoping for?
    The 3-series is also a global top-seller, a tall mountain for BMW's competitors to climb. ATS will probably do well enough in the US and Canada to justify a V-series, hopefully a coupe and convertible as well.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    The DTS is a great car for its purpose. No, it was not designed to blast through canyon roads and twisties like a Bimmer but fir it's purpose it's a great car. One can say BMW does not make a car like the DTS ! Remember, it wasn't that long ago where BMW and any German car had NO cup holders. The copied the American car companies to not only make a simple cup holder but other "driver comfort " features fit real world driving.

Now , with the ATS , CTS, XTS Cadillac has a lineup that should have the Germans crying in their apple strudel !!! Go USA !!!!
    The Germans generally don't give a rip about the XTS, but Lexus should be concerned about Cadillac eating into ES sales. That's been Lexus's bread and butter for two decades.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Judging by this forum alone, Cadillac has alienated alot of customers by discontinuing the DTS. Just as Ford is alienating alot of customers by discontinuing the Crown Vic. I just don't understand why there is no room in the market for both new and old.
    What would you have Ford do? Dump millions into a BOF redesign and new powertrain for the livery business and goverment agencys? Even Government has to move on with the times eventually.

The Germans generally don't give a rip about the XTS, but Lexus should be concerned about Cadillac eating into ES sales. That's been Lexus's bread and butter for two decades.
    It would be interesting to know what kind of buyer the ES people are. Do they look at the ES as an entry level LS, do they look at it as a feature-fest or just a resonably comfortable ride? Do they (dare I say) look at the styling? Do they bearly squeeze into these things on a lease?

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesda

They will once their sales numbers go down. My point was with the new ATS, XTS and especially the 2014 CTS the Germans will see a big drop in sales. 4 years from now once the flagship comes out from Cadillac their numbers will go down even further.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by DG2

They will once their sales numbers go down. My point was with the new ATS, XTS and especially the 2014 CTS the Germans will see a big drop in sales. 4 years from now once the flagship comes out from Cadillac their numbers will go down even further.
    While the XTS and the ES are similar vehicles in that they are more luxury oriented FWD cars, their price points are different. The ES starts in the upper $37k range, while the XTS starts in the $40k range and goes up all the way to $60k which is in Lexus GS territory and the GS is more of a direct competitor to BMW given it is more performance oriented and RWD based.

The ATS seems to be the real deal based on early reviews. The CTS, both the first gen and especially 2nd gen were good starts to competing with BMW, but not BMW killers yet. Hopefully the 2014 model brings with it the same formula that the ATS has, but I don't see anyone who is a serious BMW shopper, cross shopping the XTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.