Driving the ATS Tomorrow- post questions/pic requests now - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Driving the ATS Tomorrow- post questions/pic requests now in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; How did the 2.0T drive? I've only driven the 3.6L and sat in a 2.5L, so I wondered if the ...
    EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Re: Driving the ATS Tomorrow- post questions/pic requests now

How did the 2.0T drive? I've only driven the 3.6L and sat in a 2.5L, so I wondered if the 3.6L is worth the extra $1,000-$2,000.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Thanks for all the info Tony. How was the shifting in the MT models?

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    How did the 2.0T drive? I've only driven the 3.6L and sat in a 2.5L, so I wondered if the 3.6L is worth the extra $1,000-$2,000.
    There's a .4 second difference in 0-60 times between the 2.0T and the 3.6L, and I can tell you it's all in the first .4 seconds after you floor it from a standstill. The 2.0T feels great at speed, but there's no avoiding the delay to build boost pressure when first taking off.

If you're a stoplight racer and want it punchy at low RPM, get the 3.6L. For road course racers and highway passers, the Turbo is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Thanks for all the info Tony? How was the shifting in the MT models?
    The only MT car present was not in service for the driving event. Sorry.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Is the manual trans going to be an Aisin? I thought I read somewhere that it would be a Tremec, but that doesn't seem right.

It is indeed a Tremec.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

ryanwgregg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by buttfish77 View Post
    Lots of turbo lag?
    This made me laugh a little. Turbo lag isn't really lag as much as it is the turbo spooling. On a 2.0L that is making 272HP, there really isn't "lag" as much as you might think. I would bet that the turbo is already building boost as soon as you touch the gas given the size of the turbo exhaust housing and how short the runners of the manifold are. Positive pressure can probably been seen at 1000-1500RPM. We will just have to wait and see when they are released and someone hooked up a boost gauge and makes a dyno run.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    There's a .4 second difference in 0-60 times between the 2.0T and the 3.6L, and I can tell you it's all in the first .4 seconds after you floor it from a standstill. The 2.0T feels great at speed, but there's no avoiding the delay to build boost pressure when first taking off.
    Hopefully Cadillac did one thing with this motor: better air to air intercooler than say the Chevy Cruze!!! That intercooler is a joke....

I think with a good aftermarket intake and some tuning, we can get good off the line boost. The good thing with such a small turbo, hopefully torque doesn't fall off.

The 2.0T hits its torque peak around 2,000rpm. It's flat as a table from there to near redline, but the "problem" for those not used to turbo engines is that space between idle and 2,000rpm.

I'll see if I can upload the videos I took of me flooring the car from a standstill to about 50mph. I did one run each in the 2.0T and then the 3.6L, which is what informed my comment above: Both cars are quick and fun, but the standing start is better in the 3.6L. From a highway roll (50-100mph) I would bet they're dead even, but the 3.6 would win from a dig.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The 2.0T hits its torque peak around 2,000rpm. It's flat as a table from there to near redline, but the "problem" for those not used to turbo engines is that space between idle and 2,000rpm.

I'll see if I can upload the videos I took of me flooring the car from a standstill to about 50mph. I did one run each in the 2.0T and then the 3.6L, which is what informed my comment above: Both cars are quick and fun, but the standing start is better in the 3.6L. From a highway roll (50-100mph) I would bet they're dead even, but the 3.6 would win from a dig.
    The 3.6L gets off the line better because of one thing: displacement. In the 2.0t that you were driving, auto or manual? Should be able to get a good amount of power from an intake and exhaust on the 2.0t....

bmw2caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttfish77 View Post
    Thanks! And how did it feel to drive compared to the 3.6L? Lots of turbo lag?
    I'm thinking of getting a thunder-gray 2.0T with MT and red interior. Does that sound like a weird combination?
    Definitely not a weird combination at all. I have a 135 convertible in space gray/coral red love the combo as do many others.

I like the carbon fiber look as well. I'm just not sure if I want to get another gray and red car…though I do like the Thunder Gray a lot

that's why the 2.0T will be better with the manual. You will be able to keep the revs up off the line. Of course that becomes a balancing act of avoiding bogging the engine, and overrevving the hell out of it. But that's part of the fun

buttfish77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I thought the 0-60 time with the MT was estimated to be 0.1 seconds slower that with the AT. Faster shifts keep the revs (and boost) up.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    that's why the 2.0T will be better with the manual. You will be able to keep the revs up off the line. Of course that becomes a balancing act of avoiding bogging the engine, and overrevving the hell out of it. But that's part of the fun

I am sure, on a drag strip, in a controlled environment, the auto will be faster every time. In the real world though, there's lots of variables. Also on the strip, you can do a brake-stall, which will bring the revs up on an automatic. But how many people are going to do that on the street? With a manual, you can control the revs off idle by adjusting your slip. Which of course is not good for the clutch.

For myself, I will take the manual every time. Even if it is slower.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Please please please PLEASE upload those videos!!!!!!

Much appreciated!

lexterminator is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for all the precious info

Can you comment on the seats (the standard ones not the performance ones) ? Are they more thight and narrow than the 2008+ CTS ? I find the CTS seats too wide, my 04 CTS seats were thighter than my current 09 seats

Im debating between 2.5 luxury or 3.6 luxury, will try both
    Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.