Possible Supercharger for the Cadillac ATS 3.6L
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Possible Supercharger for the Cadillac ATS 3.6L in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-cts-3-6l.html 500hp at the crank in an ATS that weighs 400lbs less than a CTS will make for a very ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Possible Supercharger for the Cadillac ATS 3.6L

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-cts-3-6l.html

500hp at the crank in an ATS that weighs 400lbs less than a CTS will make for a very quick car. We just need to wait and see if the supercharger will work okay for the new 3.6L in the 2012.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Possible Supercharger for the Cadillac ATS 3.6L

Did I see that correctly? 419 rwhp in that Camaro?

The market potential has to be huge with all the 3.6 motors out there. Of course, lots of the those people aren't enthusiasts, but still ...
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

So is the TTV6 dead? Sounds like they can't get it right and going with a simpler route...

----------

OK, nevermind. Just read the link. I want FACTORY power, dammit!

The only problem is I think torque is a little light compared to the horsepower.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    The only problem is I think torque is a little light compared to the horsepower.
    Typical.

Too bad they wouldn't do a supercharger, then that wouldn't be an issue.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Typical.

Too bad they wouldn't do a supercharger, then that wouldn't be an issue.
    How/Why is that?

How/Why is that?
    Were you referring to tbjs's comment?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    You need to stop posting so close to me...

----------

BTW, Randy, you going to meet up with us this weekend? Anytime between Friday night and Sunday morning...

Why wouldn't torque be a problem with a supercharger as opposed to the turbo?

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Why wouldn't torque be a problem with a supercharger as opposed to the turbo?
    Superchargers have no lag. And even when Turbo's "lack" lag (it's still there just not noticeable) the torque profile on the low end favors supercharger. However on the high end (once they spool up) the torque profile favors a Turbo.

VW tried to solve this with a "Twin Charger" which was a 1.2L (maybe a 1.4L) that was both Super and Turbo charged.

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    Superchargers have no lag. And even when Turbo's "lack" lag (it's still there just not noticeable) the torque profile on the low end favors supercharger. However on the high end (once they spool up) the torque profile favors a Turbo.

VW tried to solve this with a "Twin Charger" which was a 1.2L (maybe a 1.4L) that was both Super and Turbo charged.
    Thanks for the explanation. There's a discussion thread about a compound build in the 2009+ CTS-V performance area where a vendor is adding turbo to the supercharger. I wonder if BMWs triple charger will have something combines the two as well.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

GM was working on a four cylinder that was turbo and super charged. I read about it in popular mechanics a few years ago. That was the last I ever heard about it.

My stepdad's GTI really has no lag at all. It pulls HARD from about 1500 rpm. Of course, it runs out of breath around 5500 rpm, which is about 1000 rpm before redline. First turbo car I have ever driven that gives up high in the rev range and has such tremendous low end torque. And while I am no fan of DSG, those instantaneous shifts do keep the boost going. And they are freakin fast.

As I said before, I don't follow this stuff closely, but don't some turbos use variable-vane technology in an attempt to maximize both low speed and high speed boost?

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

As I said before, I don't follow this stuff closely, but don't some turbos use variable-vane technology in an attempt to maximize both low speed and high speed boost?
    They do. And they are getting better. However no matter what a Supercharger will have more instant torque than a Turbo. Just as an electric motor has more instant torque than a typical gas/diesel motor.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I thought that was what biturbo is for.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.