Create an RWD Allante ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, Create an RWD Allante ? in Cadillac Allante Forum; I am aware that the Allante is FWD from the factory and this was a horrible mistake. I forget the ...
    scourge Guest

Create an RWD Allante ?

I am aware that the Allante is FWD from the factory and this was a horrible mistake. I forget the link, but it can be googled, where a shop has created a RWD swap for the Ford Focus. A Mustang V8 drops right in the engine bay and the swap can be finished in about one weekend.

I'm just curious is anyone has already tried this with the Allante. Anyone know?

I am aware that it would take a lot of time in designing and fabricating a new rear subframe, engine mounts, room form a RWD tranmission for the Northstar, but I also know that it is doable. Anyone in the Allante community a serious gearhead who is into racing?

Anyone visited www.chrfab.com to see what can be done with a Northstar?

I'm into drifting and I like the Allante but being FWD, it can't drift. My last car was a 92 Nissan Skyline GTS4 that had AWD. Now that I'm back in the US, I want something different and thought I would investigate the Allante.

Using a Corvette rear subframe from a C4 seemed like the way to go. Perhaps a C5 would prove better?

Going FWD while all the other luxury coupes of the day that were in the same price range were RWD was a huge mistake that only GM could make.

I am wondering if the center tunnel is large enough to accomodate a driveshaft without serious modification? Even the Acura Integra (which was designed as FWD) was able to accomodate a driveshaft in one shops AWD custom.

I would rather connect a Corvette 5-speed to the N* engine if its even possible. I know the bellhousing would need to be customized. The AT stick in the Allante is certainly long enough to be a perfect stick shift and having the ability to shift is > than AT IMO.

I have asked about this at another Allante site but I thought I would ask here just in case.

On, and I know its apples to oranges on the surface, but I thought I'd add the link to the Kugel V8 RWD kit for the Focus to see how they do it..

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focus.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

scourge Guest

Re: Allante RWD customization?

Someone PMed who lives in Japan. I couldn't reply because my box was full. Somehow your message got deleted with the rest that I wanted to delete and once its gone you can't go back and its gone for good. But, here is the message I wanted to send:

No can help. I don't live in Japan right now. I'm back in the US. Plus, I avoided Tokyo like the plague so I don't know of any good shops.

ごめんなさい。
    トーマス

scourge Guest

Not many Allante owners here I take it?

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante

Anything is possible with egnough time and money. I would never attempt the project as I have too many irons in the fire now with Cadillac 500 swaps into A and G bodys. Thats my personal money pit at the time, but I'm having a blast doing it. If you have the time, money, and a shop, go for it. I would try to find a very inexpensive donor car and start to hack away at it. Good luck if you try, but I would start with a RWD to begin with and save the Allante for a good weekend car. Just my .02 worth.

scourge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Allante North *
    Good luck if you try, but I would start with a RWD to begin with and save the Allante for a good weekend car. Just my .02 worth.
    Yes, that is the logical thing to do but I want to have something different than what everyone else has and I want something that I had a hand in making. I lived in Japan where touge and drifting are really popular and although American kids jumping on the bandwagon here make me shake my head, I still want to do it.

FF can do touge but not drift and I want that ability. Plus, when I was in high school the Allante came out and I wanted one so bad. Could not afford one then but I can now. Besides, kits exist for the Focus and Integra (www.brailleauto.com) to be made RWD so I don't see why the Allante cannot be made so as well.

I read on an Allante history site that the bodies were made in Italy and mated to their chassis here in the US. Is the car a unibody design as I suspect or does it have some kind of frame like the Vette? A frame would be easier to deal with than a unibody design but if it is a unibody design then I just think its an unusual way to describe the manufacture of the car.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

I would start out with a 85-89 corvette , then find a junk allante with a junk title thats been in a wreck or a flood or something and use its parts to make the corvette into a period correct "XLR" type thing , the 85-89 vettes are a dime a dozen and if you use a junked allante then your not hurting anything and still building something cool and have the aftermarket to work with the suspension to get the steering raitio and wheel angles setup to drift it

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Yes, that is the logical thing to do but I want to have something different than what everyone else has and I want something that I had a hand in making. I lived in Japan where touge and drifting are really popular and although American kids jumping on the bandwagon here make me shake my head, I still want to do it.

FF can do touge but not drift and I want that ability. Plus, when I was in high school the Allante came out and I wanted one so bad. Could not afford one then but I can now. Besides, kits exist for the Focus and Integra (www.brailleauto.com) to be made RWD so I don't see why the Allante cannot be made so as well.

I read on an Allante history site that the bodies were made in Italy and mated to their chassis here in the US. Is the car a unibody design as I suspect or does it have some kind of frame like the Vette? A frame would be easier to deal with than a unibody design but if it is a unibody design then I just think its an unusual way to describe the manufacture of the car.
    i belive what they mean by chassis is the floorpan/subframe section of the unibody , that part is welded to the pinnafarina coachwork ....if i remeber right its a sectioned eldorado peice thats used as the floorpan/subframe that was sent to italy ..at any rate in the end its a unibody car just liek the eldorado and other unibody caddys

scourge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    I would start out with a 85-89 corvette , then find a junk allante with a junk title thats been in a wreck or a flood or something and use its parts to make the corvette into a period correct "XLR" type thing,
    Honestly, this seems more labor intensive to get the body to fit on a Vette chassis than to get an IRS subframe mated to the Allante. I have resources to get this done but I don't think I have the kind to get that kind of project done.

the 85-89 vettes are a dime a dozen and if you use a junked allante then your not hurting anything and still building something cool and have the aftermarket to work with the suspension to get the steering raitio and wheel angles setup to drift it
    I'd like to know the dimensions of each car but I still think cutting out the Allante floorpan is harder than welding in a subframe. Honestly, as old as the Allante is, I'm surprised that I am the first one(?) to have mentioned making the swap.

A '93 came with the Northstar so the electronics hook right up. www.chrfab.com makes bell housings to fit the N* to mate up nearly any tranny. I would think a Vette tranny would be ideal. The AT shifter in the Allante looks like a manual shifter anyway.

I have seen a twin engine Eldorado by Mosler. I guess I'm surprised that no one has tried to make a RWD Eldorado as well. I've seen a convertible Eldorado from a shop in Florida so why not a RWD Eldorado as well?

scourge Guest

If true (and it looks to be) a RWD Buick Reatta protoype has been located in Augusta, Georgia. Guy in Arizona is trying to buy it and he says the trunk is smaller due to the sheetmetal work to cover the CORVETTE REAR SUSPENSION!

Makes sense as both the Focus and Integra have to have new sheetmetal in the rear to accomodate the IRS. Hope to have pics soon. Hell, I don't live too far from Chattanooga and wouldn't mind driving to Augusta to get a look!

Will post as soon as I get a chance to see them on a Reatta board I frequent.

scourge Guest

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665715/1

Northstar powered 1994 Pontiac GTP....that is RWD!

and

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=981613&page=1

a mid-engined 1994 Acura Integra using a Prelude H22 engine and subframe molded into the rear!

Allante...difficult? Yes. Doable? oh yeah!

scourge Guest

Found this on EBAY:

and I've asked the owner about measurements. If he answers, at least we'll know a C4's dimensions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The engine cradle used in the Allante's is the same as Eldorado/Seville of the same vintage. The rear suspension was of two types, 1987-92 (one transverse leaf spring) or 1993 (two coils). The engine cradle including the drivetrain and the rear suspension were the parts added to the car after it was shipped to the US. The rest of the body is unitized. It is also very strong

scourge Guest

Went to a Corvette Forum where a very helpful poster put this up:

I found this link for you : http://www.hpsalvage.com/

And under specification (84-87)vette :

All aluminum independent rear with positrac
    drum parking brakes incorporated into rear rotors
    11 1/2" rotors Single piston aluminum calipers
    Fiberglass leaf spring
    Ratios 2.59, 2.79, 3.07
    2 Models 36(7.875" ring gear) 44(8.5" ring gear)
    Model 36 was used behind automatics
    Model 44 behind manual transmissions
    62" wide hub to hub with discs on
    37 1/4" between batwing mounting bolts
    44 1/2" between trailing arm mounting bracket bolts.

Hope some members here can soon measure their Allantes. We now know the Vette, so we'll have to see if it works. If not, might have to go to a Lexus SC300 or maybe even somethine else.

scourge Guest

I like this pic and it remains the only visual of an Allante undercarriage that I have yet seen.

I have the dimensions on the Corvette IRS and I'm now working on finding out about the SC300 rear subframe. Would like to get measurements on the Allante. In due time I guess.

scourge Guest

Contacted some Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC300 owners about their rear IRS setup to get some measurements. But, I got an email today from the DoD saying I was still being considered for overseas assignments...so I don't know what's going to happen.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.