Cadillac Owners Forum banner
26K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  and003 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I am aware that the Allante is FWD from the factory and this was a horrible mistake. I forget the link, but it can be googled, where a shop has created a RWD swap for the Ford Focus. A Mustang V8 drops right in the engine bay and the swap can be finished in about one weekend.

I'm just curious is anyone has already tried this with the Allante. Anyone know?

I am aware that it would take a lot of time in designing and fabricating a new rear subframe, engine mounts, room form a RWD tranmission for the Northstar, but I also know that it is doable. Anyone in the Allante community a serious gearhead who is into racing?

Anyone visited www.chrfab.com to see what can be done with a Northstar?

I'm into drifting and I like the Allante but being FWD, it can't drift. My last car was a 92 Nissan Skyline GTS4 that had AWD. Now that I'm back in the US, I want something different and thought I would investigate the Allante.

Using a Corvette rear subframe from a C4 seemed like the way to go. Perhaps a C5 would prove better?

Going FWD while all the other luxury coupes of the day that were in the same price range were RWD was a huge mistake that only GM could make.

I am wondering if the center tunnel is large enough to accomodate a driveshaft without serious modification? Even the Acura Integra (which was designed as FWD) was able to accomodate a driveshaft in one shops AWD custom.

I would rather connect a Corvette 5-speed to the N* engine if its even possible. I know the bellhousing would need to be customized. The AT stick in the Allante is certainly long enough to be a perfect stick shift and having the ability to shift is > than AT IMO.

I have asked about this at another Allante site but I thought I would ask here just in case.

On, and I know its apples to oranges on the surface, but I thought I'd add the link to the Kugel V8 RWD kit for the Focus to see how they do it..

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focus.html

See less See more
G
#27 ·
Re: Allante RWD customization?

Found another FWD to RWD conversion kit. Man, I thought such swaps never happened off the drag racing track.

http://www.mantapart.com/

Click on the link for Performance Engine Parts

and then scroll down to Quad 4 RWD Conversion

Again, its the geometry and actual cutting and welding that seem to be the $$$$ issues.

G
#29 ·

Found something interesting on EBAY:

Yes, it is on this:

EBAY CAR

"Custom Zipper designed IRS and Corvette hubs with polished Aldan
adjustable coil-overs."

You know, I'm really sick of loudmouth haters who get pissy when their uneducated and unwanted opinion is rejected. There are ways. Going to talk in person to a custom rod shop as soon as I can. Slowly inching forward.

G
#31 ·

Different boards where I have asked information. It's mainly a lot on non-welders who think that I should worship their opinion and do exactly what they say without question. It pisses me off to so often see the same replies about "cost, it's hard, just get a FR car, and they don't think I should do it" as though they are brand new ideas and that I am too stupid to have researched this for a few weeks and will continue to do so for a few more.

Just venting here.

G
#33 ·

Just bought the July 1989 Car & Driver issue that has the RWD Reatta. Will check out a shop next week that makes hand built roadsters to see what they say. I know the Allante is not 100% the same, but the variations can be worked out.

G
#35 ·

Talked to another shop today and got a completely different view. One shop says no problem and another one says no way for under $50k.

So, fugg-all! I'll talk to few more places to get a better idea of the possibilities. It'll take some time though. This project may in fact be impossible, but at least I am making an effort to make sure so it can all be planned out rather than just talk shit or outright hate online.

Will post updates as I learn new things.

G
#36 ·

I just got some good news and some bad news the other day.

The good news is - my research continues and I should get pictures and maybe even a closeup look at a GM built RWD Reatta prototype.

The bad news is - that it will take another 3 weeks because I have to wait on the principle guy to be able to make it to Georgia again. He's a business owner who just can't leave at will.

I planned on Christmas time anyway so no problem. However, I'll find out if I go to Hawaii next month and if I do, it's highly unlikely that I'll move back to the mainland and I have no idea about shops/costs on Hawaii.

#37 ·

Scourge how has this been going I want to do this too i want an american luxury coupe of moderate size and the Cadillac brand IS american luxury as well as my favorite and the allante's only problem is the fwd drive train so I'd like to fix it ...I was thinking of finding an engine that is good enough to get me to 189 or 205 mph and i can mount in the trunk area so as i don't have to go through tunneling the floor boards and rearranging the interior. I also wanted to know if there are any North* diesel plants of a moderate size. Ur project would help alot ...... Which allante came with leather and wood interiors because the single tone plastic and vinyl is not the look I'm in love with. Hopefully ur still on or someone can do more than post something discouraging

#40 ·

Scourge how has this been going I want to do this too i want an american luxury coupe of moderate size and the Cadillac brand IS american luxury as well as my favorite and the allante's only problem is the fwd drive train so I'd like to fix it ...I was thinking of finding an engine that is good enough to get me to 189 or 205 mph and i can mount in the trunk area so as i don't have to go through tunneling the floor boards and rearranging the interior. I also wanted to know if there are any North* diesel plants of a moderate size. Ur project would help alot ...... Which allante came with leather and wood interiors because the single tone plastic and vinyl is not the look I'm in love with. Hopefully ur still on or someone can do more than post something discouraging
The 1987 to 1992 Allantes, all came with Keiper RECARO, Austrian made seats covered with Italian LEATHER.

Everywhere the body touches, the interior is leather, Italian leather.
The far and rear or underside places did get some vinyl.
The WOOD dash kits are still available for those that are into that.

The '93s have the same seats as the ElDo cars of the time - NOT Recaros.
The rest of the interior, is the same as the previous models.

The TRUNK IS HUGE .. certainly a good place to drop a drive train like the FIERO guys are using powered by NorthStars in a space 1/2 the size .. but .. what will you do with all that empty space up front? Of course, a lot of weight redistribution would be needed .. oh yeahh .. the gas tank ...

check out this Fiero site
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/engine_conversions/conversion_info.html

need a transmission for all this ? read on ...

The 3.4 Liter 60 degree pushrod engine is one of the most logical choices for replacing the old, worn out, 2.8 Fiero engine. This engine is available as a like-new, factory rebuild or factory crate engine. This is the same engine used in the Camaro and Firebird up to 1995. The heads and block are virtually the same as the 2.8, allowing all accessories to bolt directly to the engine. Relocation of the starter to the other side of the block is the only major modification required. This engine will bolt up directly to the Fiero transmission.
Is it impossible? NO !

it this guy put a jet engine on a VW, dropping a N* RWD in-the trunk should be less of a project.

Attachments

#39 ·
Sometimes, its fun having silly discussions that can never be or dreams of what it could have been.

The Allante Forum is best left free for members to let their ideas roam w/o bounds.

IMHO, the thread deserves another chance to live, even if the posters died.

Given enough time and motivation, the RWD Allante will appear .. of that we can all be sure off.

The before untouchable systems ARE being touched, the audio, the power train, the ECM programing, intake booster systems, exhaust system, the suspension, the paint schemes, the interior decor. The Allante IS EVOLVING !

The Allante is a unique car and in this year, 2008, Allante MODIFICATIONS are being accepted as status quo for the very 1st time. The survivor cars are not only getting better, they are getting faster and bolder. As the old guard drops off, a new breed is coming on board with new ideas and some of those ideas ARE COMING REALITY.

#41 ·

Has anyone used a custom chassis to convert an Allante to RWD? I recall that Jay Leno used a similar idea to convert his 1968 Olds Toronado to RWD, so I wondered if it could be applied to the Allante.

I was thinking that a chassis from Art Morrison or the Roadster Shop could be used. As for an engine, a GM E-Rod engine would be useful, as would a Tremec T-56 transmission from either American Powertrain or Rockland Standard Gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.