1992 Allante Cooling fan Diagnosis
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, 1992 Allante Cooling fan Diagnosis in Cadillac Allante Forum; Hi all, I'm a new Allante owner and this is my first post here. My radiator cooling fans are not ...
    JBP
    JBP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

1992 Allante Cooling fan Diagnosis

Hi all,

I'm a new Allante owner and this is my first post here.

My radiator cooling fans are not coming on. If you know the procedure to check this out through the onboard diagnostics, I would appreciate the help. At this point, I do not have a shop manual, although I may end-up buying one. Still, I would like to get back on the road asap.

Symptoms:
    One fan (the larger) runs, but only a few seconds at a time, the other has never come on to my knowledge. Noticed this after the temp started to climb in heavy traffic (which I got out of immediately), otherwise temp is okay in normal driving. Have not used the AC much, but did notice the fans were not running when I had it on at idle in my driveway while checking this out.

Thanks
    JB
    1992 Allante

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1992 Allante Cooling fan Diagnosis

On a 92, the fans are controlled thru a relay, I believe located on the inside edge of the passenger fender behind the coolant tank. This system is not a heater and an A/C system. Its a climate control system. Leave it at 75 or close to it and in AUTO 90% of the time. The A/C compressor de humidifies the air in the winter to keep glass from fogging up and is on in the summer to provide cooled, dry air to the interior. Someone else here will tell you
    which relay as there are maybe three there. Best money spent is on a factory service manual. You would have had your answer the same day and possibly fixed as well.

JBP

I did order a used 1991/1992 service manual off of eBay, it should be here in a few days. I looked around the car for relays. Seems like there is one stuck in every crevice on this car! There's no way I'd figure this one out with a manual, or someone telling step-by-step what to do. I hope the manual helps.

What I'm really hoping is that it is a bad fan or relay, I can replace it and it works. We'll see.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Try calling allante source. www.allantesource.com Mr Hussey might be able to direct you to the specific relay.

JBP
    Hi all, my cooling fan problem turned out to be in the relays. I replaced both number 1 & 2 relays. Works great now! I could not have figured it out without the manual. And even then it took a few hours. Done though, thanks for the advice!

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

And thank you for the follow-up resolution report. Those of us following the thread appreciate it! Gland to learn it all worked out!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.