Joining the Allante Family
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, Joining the Allante Family in Cadillac Allante Forum; Hello folks. I'm looking for advise on what to look for (good, bad & ugly) in purchasing my Allante. Currently ...
    renob1995 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): allante

Joining the Allante Family

Hello folks.

I'm looking for advise on what to look for (good, bad & ugly) in purchasing my Allante. Currently I'm looking at a 93 with low miles (74k). I don't want to get burned. I'm also looking at a 92 as well (109k).

Please help is good.

renob1995

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Joining the Allante Family

Welcome to the sickness! There is lots of reading on that topic here. My opinion:

93: 74K is not low miles in my book. It has a 1st year Northstar which have a history of serious problems. GM used a lot of Cadillac and GM parts bin components, like seats, instead of the Allante-specific components in earlier years.

92: I think 91 and 92 are the best years. But, many seem to have had hard lives.

General items to check:

- Top operation. Designed by satan.

- Radio. From the spawn of satan.

- ABS brakes. Do some reading here and on www.allantesource.com on the tricks here.

- Digital dash.

If you're near Michigan, I might be convinced to sell my 91 this year. (I need to replace my winter daily driver.)

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by renob1995 View Post
    Hello folks.

I'm looking for advise on what to look for (good, bad & ugly) in purchasing my Allante. Currently I'm looking at a 93 with low miles (74k). I don't want to get burned. I'm also looking at a 92 as well (109k).

Please help is good.

renob1995
    Going on what I know and have read - The 92's seem to be desirable and are touted, along with the 91's as one of the better years. I have heard mixed reviews regarding the 93's as it relates to new Northstar engine trouble for either the earlier or later year production models (not sure). The 93's also had some remodeling of the interior that used standard Cadillac parts (seats for one) that were interchangeable with the Eldorados (?). I think the Allante was starting to be Americanized to try and become more costs competitive and lower the prices comparable to other 2 seaters. In an effort, some folks feel quality was sacrificed.

DISCLAIMER: Having seen a lot of 93's like Chief's and others, everything above could be BS. I think some of the 93's that have been maintained are awesome vehicles.

Having owned a 90 and 92 - I am a fan of the 92!

And yes, welcome to the madness

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

I think it is a matter of personal preference, and what is available at what price. Side-by-side, with hoods closed, except for the seats, an Allante neophyte would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 92 and 93.

As for the proverbial N* engine problem, yes it did have problems initially. The concern today is not as serious as some would lead to believe. Cadillac dealt with problems over the years and corrected it. I see/hear of very few N* engine probs (leaks) from current 93 Allante owners.

My preference is for a '92, which is what I have. It may seem like a little thing to most, but I really like the seats far better.

FYI, I've put my car up for sale. It has become too difficult to help my wife transfer between the car and her wheelchair.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...&cat=14&page=1

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Thumbs up Re: Joining the Allante Family

When I was initially looking for an Allante 6 years ago, I was looking for a Metallic Beige 91 or 92, which I think are fabulous cars. 1992 had the fewest made of any given year. But I ran into my Pearl White '93 and fell in love, so I think it's personal preference.

But if you buy a '93, it's best to buy one with a Vin number from 127 and above, the higher the better. Those were the last Allantes made and they they have more interchangeable mechanical parts with the El Dorado which makes parts a lot easier to come by. I've had mine for almost 6 years now and I love it just as much now as I did when I first bought it.

Every car has it's idiosyncrasies and the Allante is no different, but once you're aware of what they are, they just don't seem to bother you. You get use to people constantly admiring your car, and most of them are totally shocked when they find out it's close to 20 years old. So all I can say is..."GO FOR IT!!!"

Chief

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    FYI, I've put my car up for sale. It has become too difficult to help my wife transfer between the car and her wheelchair.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...&cat=14&page=1
    Sorry to hear this Greg, someone is going to get one totally clean Allante!!!!

Chief

Thanks, Chief.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Say it t'aint so Greg. You will be missed.

I'm not going anywhere if it doesn't sell. I'll keep it until the economy improves next year if there are no good offers.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

It's all personal preference.

The '92 comes standard with the troublesome (if not maintained) ABS system and troublesome BOSE radio
    The '93 comes standard with the Northstar with weak head gaskets

The '93 will have a lot more power, but some feel Cadillac decontented the car. For instance, '93s don't have Recaro seats or the redundant lighting system of earlier years.

The 4.5 (and even the later 4.1, if maintained correctly) is a reliable motor. The Northstar head gaskets issues are well documented. The real problem is the fact it's transversely mounted (and I've heard the 4.6L N* is really stuffed in the engine bay), making the job much more expensive than it needs to be!

There are solutions for all of the problems. The Allante vendors sell replacement/remanufactured ABS, BOSE, and other such parts for the earlier years. There is a vendor on this very forum who sells a stud kit that makes the N* head gaskets better than new.

Another thing to consider (with every collector car purchase, not only an Allante) is sizing up the seller. Especially if you are intuitive and can get a good reading on someone. If one seller seems a bit shady and tries to gloss over the bad, and another is upfront about anything wrong, I would buy from the latter every day of the week with all other factors being equal.

Enough writing this novel for right now. Greetings and salutations. Welcome to the Allante community!

Ricardo8619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 allante, 1994 eldorado
    I just bought two cadillacs including an 89 allante pininfarina. Triple black soft top. I have to admit, I had never seen one of them before. I got such a stupid deal that I couldnt pass it up. Now my concern is where do I get parts for it. I know the factory stereo does not work. Any one had any suggestions and or good advice?

DTS Diamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS Lux III 07, DHS 04, Allante 93 06 XLR Platinum

go to allantesource.com Owner is Dick hussy who has part and expert advice. Doug-J

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Thread was started more than 4 years ago..... If you're going to troll, can you at least do it without redirecting dead threads?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.