What Were the Allante's Main Rivals?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, What Were the Allante's Main Rivals? in Cadillac Allante Forum; What were the main rival cars of the Allante? 1. Mercedes SL 2. Jaguar XJ-S 3. Chrysler TC by Maserati ...
    billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

What Were the Allante's Main Rivals?

What were the main rival cars of the Allante?

1. Mercedes SL
    2. Jaguar XJ-S
    3. Chrysler TC by Maserati
    4. Buick Reatta (to a lesser extent)

Am I missing anything obvious? If you were a consumer around 1990, would you be cross-shopping any other luxury coupes/convertibles against the Allante?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: What Were the Allante's Main Rivals?

I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why the Allante never sold well. While Cadillac compared it to Mercedes or Jag, the FWD configuration removed it from most people's consideration as a luxury / performance 2-seater.

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

I think that the main reason it didn't sell well was that it didn't have the options to complete in it's price range. The entire 747 assembly line kept the cost up way above it's actual value. A used 1993 Northstar Allante, which was the car's pentacle, still can't complete with a used 1993 Mercedes 500SL right now, let alone then. I definitely love my Allante, but it's still not a Mercedes!

Chief

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

I am no authority on any of this. I just read a 1992 Car and Driver article that compared the 93 Allante with the Jag and Mercedes. In that comparision the Allante came out #1.

I guess my point is, the comparison was with a Mercedes 300 SL, not a 500. The writer made it clear, the Allante would not stand a chance against a 500.

Was not Cadillac, at the time, going after the 300 SL buyer, not the 500?

The 300SL was a six cylinder, the 500 was their top of the line V-8, let alone the V-12 600SL. You would have to assume (and that's where I'm wrong) that you compare your best, the 295HP Northstar, against their best! But that would be waaaaay too logical!!!

Chief

Thanks for the input, guys. I am mostly concerned with this because I was hoping to track Allante prices. I had done so for the last few months and also for the Chrysler TC by Maserati and Buick Reatta, as well as a few non-related favorites of mine. Adding Mercedes SL and Jaguar XJS prices seemed to daunting, but could be done if necessary.

I had the Allante prices broken down including the general average as well as the average prices of Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III cars.

Would anybody be interested in an Allante price breakdown like this? I think it would be good info for anyone looking at the cars...

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Yes, please post that info.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys...I had the Allante prices broken down including the general average as well as the average prices of Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III cars.

Would anybody be interested in an Allante price breakdown like this? I think it would be good info for anyone looking at the cars...
    Bill - what sources are being used to gather the data? Ebay Motors? General internet scans?

Originally, I compiled info from 4 sources: CraigsList, Ebay Motors, AutoTrader, and Hemmings. I also used cars for sale from clubs, when available. I narrowed it down last month to CraigsList, which has enough listings in my opinion to get very good data. I then input into spreadsheet and use some simple math to find the average. Other statistical nuances could be easily found and over time could help to track trends. Nothing too exciting.

As everything goes, it's not perfect. The system only reflects asking price (or "buy it now" price on Ebay). Though I tried my hardest to avoid inputing multiple listings, mistakes can be made. Using CraigsList alone also lowers the average price a bit, as it seems more quality cars can be found in Hemmings/Ebay/AutoTrader.

I am unaware if anyone else is doing something similar to this. I just thought it would be interesting to see how Allantes hold their value versus some of their competitors. Figured I might test the waters here.

As a personal aside, my computer crashed two days ago and took with it the last three months of data So if I start again I will be building from scratch, but I might also include XJS and SL data, if so needed.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome...

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Definitely a worth while project.

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by D Yaros View Post
    I am no authority on any of this. I just read a 1992 Car and Driver article that compared the 93 Allante with the Jag and Mercedes. In that comparision the Allante came out #1.

I guess my point is, the comparison was with a Mercedes 300 SL, not a 500. The writer made it clear, the Allante would not stand a chance against a 500.

Was not Cadillac, at the time, going after the 300 SL buyer, not the 500?
    Given the high pricing that Mercedes had on their cars then (as they do now), perhaps the reason the 300SL was picked was to keep the competitors on a fairly even price level?

Bill...be sure to use the Allantes 'For Sale' in The Insider magazine from the the Allante Club of America, they will definitely off-set the Craigslist prices!

Chief

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    As a personal aside, my computer crashed two days ago and took with it the last three months of data ...
    Any feedback or suggestions are welcome...
    Not being a smart a&& I would suggest a backup drive. It can be very deflating to loose information in the middle of a project. As a guy with an IT background, I can tell you it's too easy in the days of information overload and storage to loose half your life's data.

That being said I would gladly help compile info if you'd liketo chunk-up the sources and each start looking.

Yeah, I know. Losing the Allante data wasn't too big a deal. Each month can bring more. I'm more disheartened about several hundred pictures, and a few pieces of writing that are gone for good. Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

urljive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 allante 66 deville

I think the Allante prices will rebound, some day. The Jag XJS is in a free fall for pricing, due to bad reputation problems as they get old and the Benz SL prices have come down a bit as well. I'm on my 3rd Allante and I've had a few older SL's and both cars have strong and weak points. The front wheel drive and manual top are the only 2 real drawbacks on the Cadi. The Benz have as many faults if not more and the Jag's still have reliability problems that are definitely more expensive to correct than the Cadi.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.