Reflections on a newly-acquired Allante
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, Reflections on a newly-acquired Allante in Cadillac Allante Forum; I just purchased a 1990 Allante and have a few thoughts about my new toy. I've owned about 50 vehicles ...
    prospyder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver STS V6, 1990 Red Allante

Reflections on a newly-acquired Allante

I just purchased a 1990 Allante and have a few thoughts about my new toy. I've owned about 50 vehicles including a 1946 Chevy pickup, a 1946 Jaguar 3 1/2 Litre DHC, a pair of 1955 Jaguar XK140 DHCs, two E-Type Jags, a pair of XJ6Cs, a Benz 250C, a 1960 Thunderbird convertible, a pair of 1955 Porsche replicas (550 Spyder and 356 Speedster) and a 1962 Lincoln Continental convertible.
    Most of those listed were the kind of car that I would turnaround and look at as I left them in parking lots or driveways. Their good looks were compelling. I've notice the same with my Allante. I have gone out to the garage several times since buying her just to take a look. The Pininfarina body is a work of art.
    It's a car that speaks to me. Is anybody else smitten by theirs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Re: Reflections on a newly-acquired Allante

Anybody smitten? Yeh most of us! I've also owned over 50 cars, mostly GM toys. Just came in thru my garage and said to myself, that's the best lookin' car I've ever owned. Sure others will say the same!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

It's certainly not the rock-solid reliability of these cars that attracted us to them.

So true.
    The bad news: On my way home from the Missouri State Safety Inspection (which the Allante passed), the "Service Engine Soon" message appeared. The Throttle Position Sensor code shows the TPS is apparently the problem. The good news: NAPA has a TPS for $42.00.
    Jim
    Webster Groves, MO

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

You didn't get the memo. See, the thing is we're using cover letters on our TPS reports now...

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

I've owned about 53 vehicles since 1963 and I've noticed that we love them we tend to look the other way when it comes to their shortcomings. I did that with a couple of Jags I owned, let alone others. The old saying that "the heart loves what the heart loves" definitely applies. I truly love my Allante and about a month ago I turned down a deal on a 2004 XLR because I finally decided that I'm never going to sell my Allante. "So, the love affair continues, and hope springs eternal!!!"

Chief

Chief,
    We suffer from the same disease: I've owned nine Jags, from my first car bought in 1963 when I was 16 -- a 1955 XK140MC DHC -- to an XJ6C several years ago. I'm not cured, but take it one day at a time. I nearly bought an XJS instead of the 1990 Allante, but got a better deal on the Caddy. (The XJS never had the fatal attraction that many of the other Jags had, but I still like them.) I've had several Jags that were my daily drivers, and I believe that if you follow the maintenance guidelines, they have better reliability than popular opinion
    holds.
    I think the glory days of Jaguar have passed since Sir William died, but I would still give a non-vital organ for an E-Type OTS or FHC, but good ones are priced out of reach for me now.
    My wrenching days are pretty must past, so an American drivetrain is easier to get local repair work. I think the Allante will fill the bill. I just wish mine had the analog intruments! The digital dash is a concern for future repairs, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Jim
    Webster Groves, MO

Follow-up: The $42 TPS did the trick. Two bolts to install it and, using the DIC, set it at the .5 V idle value, then drove it around for 18 minutes with HVAC off, one minute in gear with HVAC on while in Drive, then into Park and key off. The ECU seems to have learned to integrate the replacement TPS OK and the "Service Engine Soon" message went off. However, there's still something not right about the way the engine is running. It's not missing, but just seems not to have full power at lower speeds. If I mash the gas pedal, she'll take off like a shot. There's still a E085 Current code showing. I'll check out the Factory Service Manual as soon as it arrives.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Ah Jim I'm also a 1947 baby that got that car disease. Chief I think is close in age. I've also had many cars -loved jags -never had one. You might be my Jag mentor afore I go to the great parts yard in the sky.

Any body help our Aussie buddy from another web site? Greg? anybody else?

"Hi All, just asking if anyone can inspect an Allante i'm considering in Bloomfield Hills area Michigan. It's just a tad to far from Australia for me to inspect.

Regards,"

John

Bill...you are100% correct, I was born in 1947, graduated high school in 1965, graduated college in 1969, was drafted, and went straight to Vietnam!

Jim... I owned a 1967 Jaguar Mark II Saloon, it was Canary yellow with th black Connelly hides, and a 1975 Jag XJ6 in the Opalescent Silver Blue/with the Blue Leather interior. I dearly loved both of those cars when they weren't in the shop! "The heart loves what the heart loves!"

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
    Any body help our Aussie buddy from another web site? Greg? anybody else?

"Hi All, just asking if anyone can inspect an Allante i'm considering in Bloomfield Hills area Michigan. It's just a tad to far from Australia for me to inspect.

Regards,"

John

I'd be glad to help. I can probably go sometime this weekend. PM me the url.

Never mind, I found the request on another forum and responded. I'll be interested in seeing the car. I checked autotrader, cars.com, and craigslist and didn't see one listed in Bloomfield Hills. That community is one of the most exclusive in metro Detroit.

Interesting thread drift: Jaguars, Bloomfield Hills (my brother was the mayor there in the 1980s), oldtimers and Vietnam.
    I'm just a tick older -- a 1945 baby (when Hitler learned I was on the way he killed himself!) -- and a high school grad in 1963. That was the year I talked my parents into letting me borrow a grand so I could buy the 1955 Jaguar XK140MC Drop Head Coupe I referred to earlier in this thread. What a beauty! I drove it from St. Louis to Cleveland one weekend and actually traveled 109 miles on the Interstate in one hour. I was young and immortal then. And quite a fool.
    I goofed around in college until I was about to run out of draft deferment when I joined the USN. I wasn't too wild about going to 'Nam so I figured the Navy would be OK. The next thing I know, I'm in DaNang! Fortunately, I spent most of my time on a Carrier where the biggest threats were boredom, ordance accidents, plane crashes and fire.
    Chief, a good buddy of mine had a white Mark II with black hides. It was a great car and they still look good today. While the E-Type is my favorite, the XJ6C coupes and the "Mark IV" Drop Head Coupe are right up there on my list, too. I bought a white Mark VII while I was at Mizzou after the USN. Ah, the memories.
    I still keep going out to the garage to look at the Allante, whom I've nicknamed "Little Red."
    Jim
    Webster Groves, MO

Jim...I did two tours in the "Brown Water Navy" and was stationed out of Nabe on the Mekong Delta, as a rear gunner on a Mark II PBR Gun Boat. My Allante is nicknamed..."The Heartbreaker," because it was previously owned by a certain 'Rock and Roll' Hall of Famer!

Chief

Chief,
    God bless you, you had some tough duty!
    When we filled out our wish list in SDIEGO, I first wrote "PBR Duty" cause I liked small boats. I erased it and pencilled-in "Aircraft carrier" since I've always been an airplane nut, too.
    Was the former owner of your Allante Tom Petty?
    It's a beautiful car. A friend of mine had one in the same color that he bought used from a local Cadillac dealer. Unfortunately, the owner from whom it had been stolen found it and took it back. Steve went back to the dealership, but no joy! Pretty lousy deal.
    I'm a member of a VVA Firing Party and we provide funeral honors for veterans. We had two today. Our Vietnam veteran brothers and sister are dying in droves recently.
    Jim
    Webster Groves, MO

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.