Reflections on a newly-acquired Allante - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, Reflections on a newly-acquired Allante in Cadillac Allante Forum; Originally Posted by babylac89 Jim...I did two tours in the "Brown Water Navy" and was stationed out of Nabe on ...
    c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: Reflections on a newly-acquired Allante

Quote Originally Posted by babylac89 View Post
    Jim...I did two tours in the "Brown Water Navy" and was stationed out of Nabe on the Mekong Delta, as a rear gunner on a Mark II PBR Gun Boat.
    My brother, may he rest in peace, was a bit older than you and completed two tours in the Navy during the 60s (one on the surface, one submerged). He then became a merchant marine engineer and one of his first voyages was on a tanker up and down the Mekong at about the same time you were there.

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by prospyder View Post
    Chief,
    God bless you, you had some tough duty!
    When we filled out our wish list in SDIEGO, I first wrote "PBR Duty" cause I liked small boats. I erased it and pencilled-in "Aircraft carrier" since I've always been an airplane nut, too.
    Was the former owner of your Allante Tom Petty?
    It's a beautiful car. A friend of mine had one in the same color that he bought used from a local Cadillac dealer. Unfortunately, the owner from whom it had been stolen found it and took it back. Steve went back to the dealership, but no joy! Pretty lousy deal.
    I'm a member of a VVA Firing Party and we provide funeral honors for veterans. We had two today. Our Vietnam veteran brothers and sister are dying in droves recently.
    Jim
    Webster Groves, MO
    Jim...first of all..."WELCOME HOME!!!" Secondly,.."Thank you!" Thirdly, the VVA is one of the most worthwhile "efforts of dignity" on this entire planet. Everyone's family should see their loved ones depart with the highest form of dignity imaginable!

Yes, it was previously owned by Tom Petty, I have all of the paperwork and the complete documentation on it, so that does add some intrinsic value to it. But, aside from that, I just simply love the car and that what's it all about! These cars are personal, and either you're into them, OR YOU'RE NOT! I've been in love with these cars since "JR" use to drive that silver one on "DALLAS!!!"

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    My brother, may he rest in peace, was a bit older than you and completed two tours in the Navy during the 60s (one on the surface, one submerged). He then became a merchant marine engineer and one of his first voyages was on a tanker up and down the Mekong at about the same time you were there.
    Greg..."GOD BLESS YOUR BROTHER!" I was drafted right out of college in 1969, so and I ran down and joined the Navy so that I could travel the world and not have to go to Vietnam! Well, we already know how that worked out!!! I did two tours there from '70 to '72, I wish I could have met him.

Chief

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Well, for whatever it is worth I will throw in the short version of my "auto" biography. That, and $2.79 may get you a latte at McDonald's!

Born 1946. Graduated H.S. 1964. Graduated college 1969, and had to take immediate steps to avoid the draft. My solution, joined the USMC!

Began turning wrenches before I was old enough to drive. Never owned a Jag-U-ar. Probably one of the best cars I ever owned was a 1960 Oldsmobile Super 88 SceniCoupe (2 dr. hdtp.) What made her unique was, most teens (I was 17 at the time) were not driving an Olds. But, more than that, she had a 3-on-the-tree from the factory; a bit of an oddity, if not an outright rarity. She would, and did, haul. Even though a 2-door, during our time together I had to put 4 doors on her. The only sheet metal not ever worked on was the roof!

It is nice to hear that I am not alone in terms of enjoying "just looking at the car." My wife said, just yesterday, every time she enters, or leaves the garage and sees the Allante, it brings a smile to her face.

And to all, a goodnight ... .

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

Chief,

I really, and I do mean really, like the look of the top on Heartbreaker. I may have to give that consideration for mine when it comes time to put a new one on. That is sharp!

Thanks Dave, most appreciated! It was celebrity owned and one of about 75 "Special Order" Allantes made in 1993. The interior is all neutral single-tone, including the dash, doors and door tops, steering wheel, and convertible boot cover. It also has has rare factory wood and analog gauges, which I was only looking for. Nothing is two-toned in it, even the stripe down the side is a custom tan color, with a matching pin stripe. It's a beauty, and I truly love it!

Chief

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Reflections??? What I noticed was that women would comment on my Allantes more often than men. I dont think its because its "cute" but because they are more vocal regarding something beautiful. Yes, I've tried owning a car that didnt require me turning around after I parked it, and I've soon sold those cars! I also graduated from high school in 1965, stayed 1 year in junior college then got a job with a military deferment only to get drafted 1 year later when the contract was lost. Was sent to Fort Bliss Tx then to Germany where I ended up driving a General all over Germany at 80 KPH! while everyone else was going 220 KPH. Was in charge of 3 vehicles in the motor pool assigned to the General. I met the Sergeant Major of the Army, General Westmoreland at a social get together and flew (in an Army helicopter ) with the commanding General of the Air Force when his helicopter woudn't start!! Spent many days with the German Army as my General spoke to the German forces alot. Drag raced on old Luftwaffe air strips alot as well. All this as a coroporal then a buck sergeant. Visited all the places my Dad was stationed in WWII and posed for the same pictures he had sent home. Found his carved initials in a bar his company took over. I've also, I'm sure, owned over 50 cars, some for days, some for years.

prospyder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver STS V6, 1990 Red Allante

CarNut, I gotta agree with you that women are more vocal about their reactions to the Allante; but, to a man, each guy I've shown my Allante to has been very complimentary. They find it difficult to believe it's nearly 20 years old.
    My oldest brother was in the Army stationed for his two-year hitch with the 5th Amored Division in Kaiserlautern, Deutschland. He has some pretty interesting stories about his time there. (Elvis was stationed either right before or right after my brother was.)
    Jim
    Webster Groves, MO

My experience has been just the opposite, men have a stronger reaction to my car and remeber when "JR Ewing" drove the silver one on the TV show "DALLAS!" They always tell me that this is one of the cars that they always wished that they had owned!

Chief

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.