Any Other Automotive Oddballs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, Any Other Automotive Oddballs? in Cadillac Allante Forum; Since our beloved Allantes are somewhat of an anomaly in the automotive universe (half-American, half-Italian with a limited production run), ...
    billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Any Other Automotive Oddballs?

Since our beloved Allantes are somewhat of an anomaly in the automotive universe (half-American, half-Italian with a limited production run), I'm interested if any of you have any other automotive oddballs you own or are interested in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Re: Any Other Automotive Oddballs?

Hey Bill, interesting question. had the Allante out last week and stopped for lunch and a gent stopped and asked if I owned the car. he proceeded to tell me he had a ChryslerTC/Maserati that would soon be for sale. Will go look at it if anybody is interested.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Hmm, now that you mention it, I seem to be falling into a pattern of buying low volume or harder-to-find vehicles:

- After the end of the 2004 model year, I learned that GM was halting production of Quadrasteer trucks and I wanted one for towing. I searched and found a new 04 Sierra Denali.

- I had an interest in finding an 83-85 MB 300D. I never found one in good enough condition at a reasonable price. Also, the independent MB mechanic I knew was in his mid-70s and I wondered how long he would keep his shop open.

- It took me about 5 months to find the right 81 or 82 Vette. (I wanted a late C3 and had to have the power driver seat for some sense of comfort.) I found the car I bought in Ohio with about 30K miles and trailered it home.

- I happened upon my Allante within 2 weeks of starting to look and only 20 miles away. Dumb luck. Then again, I probably paid too much in purchase and repair costs.

- Next spring I'm probably buying a low mileage 2005-06 Lexus LS 430 as a daily driver. It looks like I'm going to have to search at least 200 miles out, maybe nationally, to find the right options, colors, and condition.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    Since our beloved Allantes are somewhat of an anomaly in the automotive universe (half-American, half-Italian with a limited production run), I'm interested if any of you have any other automotive oddballs you own or are interested in.
    Jensen Interceptor-American engine-Italian design house-British wiring?

Greg, as some know I'm waitng to hear if my Delphi pension is to be cut 30 or 70%. So after 74 GM vehicles- no more GM. Anybody have a mid sized 4 door people mover that they like, I'd be interested in knowing. Leased Saturn gets turned in mid Dec. What with this Lexus? I know zero about them.

My goal is to get a CPO V8 sedan. (I put 27K+ per year on my daily driver, so a new car is a killer on depreciation.) My choices are the DTS Performance, Lucerne CXS, and the LS430. The LS430 is the previous generation LS and the prices are getting reasonable for 04-06 units. It is also the best sedan I've found to transfer my wife from her wheelchair into the car. I also think the LS is feasible to drive for a second 100K miles without risking financial russian roulette.

I like the Lincoln MKS. But the car has poor 1st year reliability, has a lousy trunk opening, and requires the new (unproven) twin turbo engine to get acceptable performance.

My current Lincoln MKZ has been very reliable and, with AWD, drives fairly well. The 2010 version appears to have more differentiation from the Fusion. My problem with it is the smallish interior size and difficulty transferring my wife.

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

My daily driver is pretty much an anomaly! It's a 2005 Honda Element, designed in the Honda Design Center in Pasadena, CA. Then developed at the Honda R&D Center in Torrance, CA., and manufactured in the East Liberty Plant in Marysville, Ohio. Then it was actually exported to Japan as a 100% American made vehicle. The only one in the history of Japanese owned companies. So that definitely qualifies on the anomaly side of things!

Chief

I kinda like the Element. It meets it's intended purpose. I considered one but the the seating position is too high for my wife to enter without using a step.

I only ask because I am really attracted to oddball cars: orphans, underappreciated, and the like. Hoped some of you might be too.

If you like orphans, come to this car show sometime in June in Ypsilanti, MI (between Ann Arbor and Detroit):

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...how/index.html

One day. Ypsilanti is a long way from Seattle.

^^ If you wait a few more years, we may find that all of the GM and Chrysler brands will be eligible for the show.

cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

I know I'm a little late to this string, but I too am way too attracted to the odd ball, orphan cars, especially the 80's models.. i would like to put together a group of 80's 2 seaters, I lreally like the chrysler TC, the fierro, the Reatta, not the capri. I would like another Allante or 2,
    I think the 80's maseratti quattroport III's are beautiful, and pretty rare too.(they have an obvious Italian family resemblance to our Allantes)
    google Maserati quattroporte III for some pics and a history.

I really like the bustle back luxury cars of the 80's as well, would love a Seville, Continental, and Imperial

also a major forgotten 80's supercar the Aston Martin Lagonda

l
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

After the Allante, Pininfarina went on to design the Alfa Romeo 164; their body lines remind me what an Allante sedan would have looked like.

Ahh, the Chrysler TC by Maserati. It would make a nice companion for an Allante. Both are half-American, half-Italian luxury two seaters that never really made it. I also feel that TCs are pretty undervalued considering their limited production run - the average asking price was only $5,000 last I checked (last month).

Reatta coupes are even cheaper. But convertibles are expensive - nearly three times as much.

babylac89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar

Since you like odd-ball cars from the 80's, here is my unappreciated 1989 Plymouth Reliant K LE America...

Chief

talismandave and talismandave like this.

Chief, that's a beautiful boring car you've go there. What engine does it have?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.