Where are all the Allante owners? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The Cadillac Allante Lounge Discussion, Where are all the Allante owners? in Cadillac Allante Forum; Originally Posted by wcoates Zal as usual you are right on. Only disagreement is for you and Gary there never ...
    Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

Re: Where are all the Allante owners?

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
    Zal

as usual you are right on.

Only disagreement is for you and Gary there never is winter!

You described my situation, one for top never off and one for top never up. Zinzin was right, if top was right, they'd still be building these darn things.
    PITA cars to maintain but just got back from a 1200 mile week-end drive and this 4.5 ran as strong as I could possibly hope. Now electronics- another story! Anyone that wants a reasonable summer convertible should consider IMHO!

They are super cheap nowadays. Let's part 'em all out and get to 2000 running but it will never ever be an investment. Enjoy 'em for what they are!

I should have said WINTER or RAINY weather !

better ?

(YES, it does rain here .. not much, but rain is rain)

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    Sal suggested setting up a URL of cadillac-allante.com and I wondered if a site like that could link directly to the Allante sub-forums here and exclude the other parts of cadillacforums.
    As of now, it opens an Allante page here:
    http://www.cadillac-allante.com/

We could make changes if you'd like.. It would probably be a good idea to start a new topic, however..
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

We got several challenges here.

1. Threads, over the years, have been moved from the Allante area to the general Cadillac areas just because they were engines, transmissions, etc., by well meaning moderators that dont understand the philosophy or the Allante uniqueness of even the engines, the technology, etc., of the Allante.
    All Cadillacs of the same era share the same drive trains, except the Allante, which is unique.

2. Many Allante owners still believe that the car should have been a bit different, and there are several threads to that effect, including the RWD thread. But again, that thread was temporarily locked and I rescued it by moving it here to the LOUNGE and unlocking it again .. yet, it is threads such as that that have the potential to give life to the discussions of the community.

the world of Allante is facing hardship, car values are dropping, cars are getting sick, the original owners are fading away, the salvage yards are getting their fill, parts are everywhere .. and .. the toughest of all, the new owners are of the buy it cuz it is CHEAP mentality.

Even the old Allante club dropped its name
    Allante Appreciation Group / AAG .. some branches survived, Texas is one.

The 15 years of technical archives have been broken, deleted, and abused at the main sites by incompetent management. What little survived of the contents of the old archives are now held by a rag-tag bunch, of which Stealth is but one.

Much of what we asked for, in this site, is finally being made available but the skills and the memories of so many have left. The years 2007 & 2008 saw a huge number of old time owners walk away, dump the cars or simply died of old age.

I asked some very competent technical people to joins us, but I couldnt offer them anything, not even a simple "technical" banner .. they moved on.

The Allante community is going to evolve someday driven by hardship, but that day is not here .. not yet.

What can I say, what can I offer ?
    Build it and they WILL COME, slowly.

And it will be a small group at best. IF we had every single Allante owner in this site, the numbers would still be small .. the surviving Allantes are well in the 5,000 to 6,000 range and declining .. many owners owning several Allante cars. Some, many of us owning a parts car and a driver, or a top up car and a top down car .. myself, by sheer accident, have come to control the destiny of 1/2 dozen cars. I do not believe that such is unique in this crowd. I know at least 7 people that each claim ownerships or control the destiny of between 20 and 40 cars .. yes .. not a typo .. each owning that many .. most being parted as needed. As the price of many cars reached under $2,000, some down to $1,000, the parts cars market took off like a missile.

Unlike the well wishers believed, the Allante IS NOT and HAS NOT been immune to attrition. The cars die off at a similar rate of most other cars. There may be a bit of a lag, but not by much. The Insurance Institute makes predictions, and no American mass production car is exempt. The Allante WAS a mass production car.

vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS

Thumbs up Re: Where are all the Allante owners?

So what, that you dont have million owners/visitors in Allante section? More cozy it will be. (and less BS spammers)
    IMHO you (and i am too ) need:

* full history of Allante - very detailed, lots of pictures, why not copies of factory booklets etc.
    * good technical archive - howto, problems, where to look parts, tips and tricks etc.
    * free section for good and bad stories, memories, photos and so on...

Thats it.

And Stealth - who buys parts, when car prices are down to $1000 and there are left only some 2000 owners? Every owner buys one or two cars for parts and thats it

Oh, and - dont forget, that other world like those cars also much - for example i am only happy, when prices drop in your side - then i can buy better (or more?) Allantes for myself

What is common is that the cars in the sunbelt are cheap.

'92 models under $4,000
    '88 models under $3,000
    stressed cars under $2,000

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/805542506.html

in the rust belt area, even less !

Ahh .. the parts .. market growing and growing.
    But how could it in with a diminishing Allante fleet ?

The Allante community is weird. Focusing on mileage more than anything else, even condition. It is assumed that if one acquires a low mileage car, the condition can be improved by hitting the parts market, IMHO, a correct assumption.

So, what is a low mileage car? It varies, but I assure you that at 130,000 miles, an Allante is an unwanted commodity no matter the model year or the color. At around 60,000 miles it is for sure a low mileage. Crazy ideology, but is is what it is. Remember, it matters not what year model.

Lastly, in a world of valuable LOW MILEAGE cars, the Allante may be about he easiest car I have ever known to tamper with mileage. HOW? Well, as I understand, you need THREE things.
    1. A car that has been off the public data domain (ie .. CarFax), or fell off after 10 years of not being registered,
    2. DIGITAL CLUSTER; analogs do not read the BCM PROM,
    3. low mileage BCM or BCM PROM from a low mileage donor.

Unlike the analog cluster, the digital cluster does NOT hold data, but reads it from the computer.

The PROM in the BCM retains the total original mileage for a car in memory.
    ~ From Allante XYZ Facts

Not everything is what it seems to be.
    Verify before you buy, specially when the buy is expensive.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

I purchased mine for pure enjoyment. I'm not so concerned about the investment. For me it's about the fun! I've had plenty of Cadillacs and at this point in my life, 45 going on 25, I like the fact that I can have a car that as a young man truly admired but could not afford.

I'd buy another one if I had the room. Once the kids get their cars out the driveway, we'll see!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Ieradi: Media, PA? I used to have a team that worked in a branch office in Kennett Square and visited there monthly. I drove U.S. 1 from I-476 to the hotel in Chadds Ford.

ald42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 eldorado,93 allante,98 deville

Smile Re: Where are all the Allante owners?

hi,i'm in r i and got a red 92 49k from oh in jan 08,a guy came along and had to have it,sold.he lives next town over,then on ebay a green 93,neutral int.w/42k,i hit the buy it now button!I'm 66yrs,retired and can now afford these cars.a friend bought a pearl w/black 53k 92 about same time.we enjoy and drive them most days.we do our maint.we also need the knowledge from people as yourself,Bill c,dick H and all the other experts on these allante sites,keep up the good work!! thanks Al D

Welcome, and enjoy driving your car. I tell my wife that I'm going to get a motorcycle when I retire. She disagrees with that plan. I'll supposedly be too busy taking her places in the Allante or whatever fun car we have then.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Greg and Tony you are the future of this hobby like Stealth a true expert in this madness. Welcome Al (Aldi42) and let's get him active. He appears to be in my age group of over sixty who have gravitated from Vettes, muscle cars and speed to these fine, unique automobiles that are great fun and great PIA. The guys 30 to 50 will keep them going. R.I., Michigan, Pa, Ohio, damn its time to put them away 'til April so we can't meet at the car shows so let's meet here. (Where you at Stealth?)

Let's see Hyperion sold his, Bob Rich sold his, Rickko sold his, see Marcair put his on Ebay today, G.A.R.Y. sold his and is probably fishing from the back of his Z06, Zal bought another and is in ?????, Jefft (RIP) we miss greatly, Jono bought then sold in about 2 months, JCS is probably getting that stainless steel pounded into his femur and we wish him well and await his return........and Odell's still holding down the Music city.

Hey as long as the Princes Dick H, Johnny Monzo and Tom supply parts, we'll still put them on. California Carnut Bill Miller's back,Pittsburgh Bill Miller's probably thinking about winter storage and retirement and how to find the right XLR, '89Allante Bob has joined and Flacko's still taking Allante's apart,

Bottom line, we come and go, and danged we're getting older! Let's all go recruit a new guy and sell 'em an Allante. Use the term fun but never investment.

I tell my neighbor, who owns a marina, that my fun cars are cheaper than a boat. Plus, I can drive it to work if I want.

Ieradi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
    Greg and Tony you are the future of this hobby like Stealth a true expert in this madness...Bottom line, we come and go, and danged we're getting older! Let's all go recruit a new guy and sell 'em an Allante. Use the term fun but never investment.
    I like the idea! Get some newbies...I'd be happy to find someone local. Maybe I'll join up with the NJ Monzo group.

wcoates is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Red Allante,

Tony
    as close as you are to Monzo it sure makes sense! John truly loves these beasts. He has held a Allante meet at the GM Nationals at Carlisle Pa about every other year. Good place for Mid-west folks to meet other Allante nuts!

ald42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 eldorado,93 allante,98 deville

Smile Re: Where are all the Allante owners?

Hi guys,Bill,here in RI I'm driving her all winter as long as it's clear weather.I've only had her a few months so I'm going to try to put on 300k!!!keep up the good everyone. Al D

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.