19901/2 Allante
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 19901/2 Allante in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Having trouble opening the Storage cover for a type 2 top. Any suggestions?...
    Hollis Walker is offline Cadillac Owners Member

19901/2 Allante

Having trouble opening the Storage cover for a type 2 top. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    Hello Hollis,

Welcome to our Cadillacforums! Is the cable that releases the latch for the boot cover still working? It may be an allignment problem which is common to the Allante. Does it close OK, or is it just the opening that is giving you problems. I am having rear top pull down motor problems myself now. Email me or PM me and we can talk more about it. Again, welcome to the Cadillacforums!

Don

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Welcome aboard, Hollis! I'm moving this over to the Allante section. You're in it right now. Thank you for signing up!!

Sal

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    If you're having trouble with the cables or the mechanism from inside the passenger compartment, there are two cables that run into the trunk - one releases the top latch, and the other releases the boot cover.

On some cars, they're hidden behind the carpet. They should be easy to find - If you're looking directly into the trunk, the upper panel behind the top boot is where the latch is. The hole is just left of center, and the cables should extend leftward from there.

CKUCIA:

Thanks a bunch--there is one cable obvious in the trunk--I'll go pull it and see what happens. The lock is jammed closed, and I traced the cable from the door side control to the lock and it is very loose. Needs to be replaced ASAP.

Thanks again.

Sal:

This is one hellofa site. Looking forward to a lot of reading.

Hollis

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Hollis,

At least on mine, both "emergency" cables run together out of the same hole. I'm not sure what you can do if one is missing and the main cable won't retract the locking mechanism. To be honest, I've never looked at how the top boot latches; I probably should in the future.

I'm in Ohio, so I'll have my hardtop on for at least another couple of weeks or I'd go out and check for you.

Locked Storage cover.

Chucia:

The cable in the trunk that is visible unlocks the rear of the top from the pull-down socket. I tried to pull on the cable that unlocks the storage cover and it won't budge. I am afraid to pull any harder for fear of jamming it further. There must be another way, but nothing is listed in the service manual for this problem. I'm in Houston, and we have very few days of comfortable "top-down" weather--guess I'll have t miss some of it. I'm really thankful for your help.

Hollis

Chukia:

I opened the panel between the trunk and the cockpit ( for lack of a better description) and managed to get the storage cover lock opened. It appears to be jammed and not releasing. I loosened it and finally got it open, but I don't know how. I'm too old and fat to crawl in and out of the trunk too many times, but the next time I'll try to take the lock off and check it. It could be just lack of lubrication.

Hollis

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    Glad to hear you got it open Hollis. You may be right about lack of lubrication. Try a little WD-40 to see if that helps.

Top Storage Compartment Lock

In reading some of these posts, I'll add some of my limited knowledge about the cables to the storage compartment lock.
    There is only one, and it runs from the control lever in the rear door post directly to the lock. I seams to be for some type of trip in the lock itself, but my waist line will not allow me to get any closer. I'm going to try to remove the lock and see if I can overhaul it and get it working. I' post the results if I don't get caught in the trunk and starve.

Hollis

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.