Climate Control on '93 Allante on the fritz
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Climate Control on '93 Allante on the fritz in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a '93 Allante. The DIC indicates low refrigeration coolant so I am not suprised that the A/C ...
    bunsowh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Arrow Climate Control on '93 Allante on the fritz

I just bought a '93 Allante. The DIC indicates low refrigeration coolant so I am not suprised that the A/C does not work but the temp settings do not work either - it displays 60 degrees and does not change when I push the red button. The fan does not work either. I suspect it is the module but thought I would ask those who know these things before spending money needlessly. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Climate Control on '93 Allante on the fritz

It can be any of several problems- a bad HVAC module, a bad rear board in the DIC, a bad BCM, a bad control head (the buttons), or a communication problem between these modules.

m0ng0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante, 1973 Eldorado Convertible

Any solution to this one? My Climate control works sometimes. Usually it works better after I have been driving 10-15 minutes but not always. It was a tough Washington winter/spring with poor window defrosting, good thing the dash is nice and flat as my towel stays perfectly even with the top down As I said fan speeds, temperature and different settings work SOMETIMES! Any thoughts or ideas would be fantastic !

Saife is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Climate control works sometimes. Usually it works better after I have been driving 10-15 minutes but not always.This climate on 93 allante on the firtz with top down.It was a tough Washington winter /spring nice of top down.As I said fan speeds temperature.

m0ng0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante, 1973 Eldorado Convertible

Yeah I can kinda lock mine on 90 degrees with defrost on, that way come winter in Washington state I can kind of see first thing in the morning

rickyc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '93 Allante Green bought new

Angry Re: Climate Control on '93 Allante on the fritz

Another board was discussing this but not on a '93. Do all of those comments about the parking brake, vacuum hoses, etc. apply to a '93 as well.

I had mine detailed for father's day and now my problems sound pretty similar. The engine was also cleaned. When this happened at the carwash they pulled a trunk fuse and replaced it (same fuse) - things started working fine. Later, after stopping, went to hot out of windshield.

Most times hot air out of windshield vents only. Shutting down and starting may get cold air from dash vents for a little while, then back to hot out of windshield. Up, down lever doesn't seem to have effect.

I pulled and replaced the power HVAC 30 amp (same fuse) in the engine compartment.

None of these fuses looked blown and no codes showing in dash.

Working the up/down lever, changing temp, turning AC off and on gives erratic behavior, but mostly just hot air out of windshield vents.

It must have something to do with the detailing and getting the trunk and engine compartments wet, but don't know what.

It's hot and humid here in south Florida

Thanks for ideas!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

There's an underhood vacuum hose off! most likely. If no engine vacuum gets to the programmer, the system reverts to defrost only.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I just look all around the right front (or center) and hope to see a hose hanging and hope to find the nipple it came off of? Or do I need to go to the Caddy dealer (ugh!) or to an AC shop? I don't have a manual.

Is the system common to Caddy's so my regular mech. shop would know about it?

Thanks again for the help. Vacuum can't be as bad as computers or electrical.

Please fill out your profile. Year and type of car and what area of the world you are in? review mine above as an example Owning an Allante without the factory shop manual will cost you a lot more money having the mechanic "learn" on your car.

Done - thanks - couldn't find a place for age (77). Guess having my engine cleaned for father's day was a big mistake:-)

Having an engine cleaned is not a BAD idea. Choosing the proper person to do it can be! I would think any technician that's familiar with a First generation Northstar Cadillac should be able to ck vacuum hoses.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If it works sometimes after shutting down and restarting, the problem is not a disconnected vacuum hose. A collapsing hose maybe, or a programmer problem.

OK - I have found a 93 Allante Original Shop Manual Repair Service Book and a
    93 Allante Factory Service Manual Revision (Loose Leaf). Do I need both? The first one
    has a black cover. They aren't cheap.

I called my guy - he used to run the shop at a Caddy agency in another town - knew right away either a disconnected (probable since engine was cleaned) or collapsed vacuum hose like you all said. Big relief.

While I have your ear, are there 2 different 93 greens? I read that Polo Green in most desirable. Also, my gear shift needs dying - how do I know the color (looks like light tan to me) and do you have a source for the dye?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    "Light tan" is probably Shale. SEM makes excellent leather/vinyl dyes. Be sure to use a matte clear protectant as well, as the shift knob is most definitely a "high traffic" part.

Put your VIN into www.compnine.com to get a list of all RPO codes and definitions on YOUR car, which will include interior and exterior colors.

Any thoughts/advise on the shop manual with/without the revision?

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.