Checking Past Service History
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Checking Past Service History in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just had a thought....I'm interested in a 91 with 67k on it...It was traded in at a cadillac dealership ...
    shavdog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Checking Past Service History

I just had a thought....I'm interested in a 91 with 67k on it...It was traded in at a cadillac dealership 800miles away from me...we settled on a price for this car but I am alittle concerned about the past maintenance of this car...they maintain its a very nice car in excellent condition..but havent said anything to me about past history...I am inquiring about coolant flush and brake fluid change history but havent gotten very far at this point...I seem to remember a friend of mine with a sts was on vacation once and had a problem...He ended up at a cadillac dealership 1200miles from home to fix something...He told me they were able to punch in some numbers and tell him every bit of maintenance on his sts that was performed at a cadillac dealership anywhere in america....could I request this of the cadillac dealership where this 91 allante is at?...I would like alittle confirmation of its past and havent gotten it yet...I sent them an email requesting conversation with the seller who traded it in but havent heard back...I kinda like the way this car looks and the price in my mind is very reasonable...BUT....if I have to spend 4-5k in repairs to get it up to speed then its not too good...thanks for any help...craig..If I buy this car, I'll fly out and drive it home for alittle wintertime adventure...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Checking Past Service History

The only thing you can get from a GM dealer is the warranty service history or the service history at their store. Plus GM deletes older cars from their database to make room for new ones, so if there are no open campaigns on a car that age, they may have already wiped it from their system.
    It's doubtful that the dealer will put you in touch with the previous owner.
    Not impossible, just doubtful. A good technician should be able to look the car over and tell you if it's been maintained or not. I know I can tell by looking it over. He can also tell you what it's going to need soon in the way of maintenance. If we could tell you what's going to fail ahead of time... well if I could do that, I be retired by now!

Good luck.

In regards to the brake issues and repair of the stereo system:

Is it pretty much guaranteed you will have these issues in a pre 93 allante? Has anyone gone thru maybe 100k without doing this work?

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Life of the stereo and the ABS brake system are much more a function of time, and have very little to do with mileage. In the case of the ABS system, if the brake fluid has been changed every couple years, there should be no problem. If not, the master cylinder has most likely already been replaced. 16k miles was lowest mileage master cylinder failure I have seen, and lots more in the 20's. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to prolong the life of the stereo system. You just would need to have the components overhauled when they die.

Thanks for your responses....Just alittle update on my search..Because the cadillac dealership didnt have any history on the maintenance of the 91 they took in on trade, I ask if they could contact the previous owner for a few questions...they said they tried to call him twice but he wouldnt return their call...ok , to get around this, because I wasnt going to be looking at this car and the salesman didnt know about the technicals of this car, I ask to have one of their technicians spend 10-15 minutes with me over the phone going over a few things on the car...there comment was the service dept was there to work on cars and at 90/hr they didnt want to spend that time with me....so, I told them thanks and moved on...end of story..It's almost like something didnt smell right....they missed an easy sale....i'll just keep looking and when one catches my eye....I'll buy it....craig....thanks for your help...

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Most places don't like to put techs on the phone, it takes them away from making money for the store. If I didn't mention it before I'll mention it again, whenever you find the car you want, take it to a reputable shop AWAY from the place you are buying it from and have them to an inspection for purchase.
    We used to do them at an independent I worked for and customers loved it.
    I forget what we used to charge, like 50 bucks or something.
    It can really be worth it though.

Good luck shopping.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.