1987 Allante stereo not working correctly
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 1987 Allante stereo not working correctly in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I start the car up, the radio works great. After a few moments the music switches over to white ...
    randyveach is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1987 Allante stereo not working correctly

When I start the car up, the radio works great. After a few moments the music switches over to white noise (no music - at least not to my ears). When I turn the radio off and wait a little while, and turn it back on - I get music again, but only for a little while (the cycle continues).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1987 Allante stereo not working correctly

If you mean by white noise, no sound, then disconnect the battery wait a minute then reconnect. Sometimes that works, If its static type noise I would suspect one of the amps in the speakers.

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It can be a bad receiver also.

randyveach is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The noise is like "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". Do all the speakers have amplifers? This is real strange. It's almost as if the antinne, for that moment, is disconnected and the radio is NOT picking up the station. When I turn the radio off then back on, after a few minutes, it starts playing okay...then after a few minutes of playing the radio quits playing and the white noise comes back.

NORRISK66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i would check all antenna connections. these cars have a seperate tuner module behind the glovebox-i think it says bose on it. i have replaced several of these for similar concerns. the last time i tried to get one of these tuners new they were not available anymore. does the tape player have sound?

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

From symptoms it sounds like a bad receiver (or tuner or CDM, whatever you want to call it). We have a test car set up so we can plug your receiver in and test it to see how it plays. When yours is playing, stick an ear in front of each speaker and see how many of them are playing, and try to determine if they all go on and off at the same time. The point about trying a cassette is am good one, although in some instances cassette player malfunctions can silence the radio completely. We have whatever rebuilt parts would be needed. It's just a question of determining what you need.

Rich_M is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante

Take a pair of pliers and check the round chrome nut at the antenna. If it's loose, snug it up a little and that may do the trick. Be careful, if you tighten it too much you can break the black plastic between it and the fender.

Regards Rich

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.