Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1992 Allante audio amps ?

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  carnut 
#1 ·
Bose amps: Can anyone tell me if the 100w amps from an eldorado will work in a '92 ALLANTE. I know the ALLANTE amps are 50w but the wire harness is an identical plug in. Just wondering if the CDM will drive 100w amps without future problems. And what is the OEM PART # for the 100w amps. Called a dealer and no help.

#2 ·
Re: Tn Kjun

First off these are 50 watt not 100. The early cars were 25 watts each amp. Early cars had a total of 100 watts. Newer cars were 200 watts total from 4 amps. Second, I see no issue installing them. Third, the amp will say on a decal if its for r/front, l/front or rear. It will also note if they're for a cloth or leather interior. Cloth amps in a leather car will be slightly "brighter" Meaning a little more clarity. To my knowledge, the speakers are the same.

#3 ·
first off these are 50 watt not 100. The early cars were 25 watts each amp. Early cars had a total of 100 watts. Newer cars were 200 watts total from 4 amps. Second, i see no issue installing them. Third, the amp will say on a decal if its for r/front, l/front or rear. It will also note if they're for a cloth or leather interior. Cloth amps in a leather car will be slightly "brighter" meaning a little more clarity. To my knowledge, the speakers are the same.
thanks your info is a big help !
My only concern is blowing the 50w speakers with the 100w amps.

----------

thanks your info is a big help !
My only concern is blowing the 50w speakers with the 100w amps the amps out of the Eldorado are rated 100w. That is what's written on the amps.

#5 ·
No, I've looked at both and they're the same ohms rating so i'd do it. Rarely do these speakers fail and there are many in the wrecking yards here at least. What year Eldo? And why aren't you getting the speakers from the Eldo as well?
The enclosure in the Eldorado is totally different. I got 1 amp from the Eldorado for testing purposes. It was mounted in the trunk and it didn't even have an enclosure. It was mounted on the back seat and it looked like a factory set-up. I need to find the front amp location now and. I'm told they are in the door but I don't know if this is facts.

#8 ·
Years ago I was shown how to "phase" 2 speakers. A nine volt rectangular battery was used. By jumpering the 2 leads on the battery to the 2 leads on the speaker. Once connected, the cone would deflect inwards and you then knew polarity was correct. If it deflected outwards it was out of phase to the other one. If they both deflected the same way I would then mark the + and - on the speaker connector with a sharpie. That comparison would help in your case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.