Large Number Of Allante Repairs HELP ME PLEASE
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Large Number Of Allante Repairs HELP ME PLEASE in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First off i would like to thank everyone who has helped me in the past I am going to list ...
    Shamus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Large Number Of Allante Repairs HELP ME PLEASE

First off i would like to thank everyone who has helped me in the past I am going to list all the problems my allant has i f you have any suggestions i would appreciate it very much.

1) Half of my dash lights are out. Would it be a better idea to get it repaired by Allante Source or is there a way to do it by my self. The Tach lights and gear selector lights are out. If Allante Source is the better idea does anyone know how much it would cost.

2) My Interior lights do not work for the most part One time i had my Cargo storage light working but that was once. The fuse for the lights is blown but I have no idea where the short is i have checked the door area for shorts and have not found any yet. I have been suggested the most common place is the vanity mirrors but............ i dont have any. Apperently the idiot who owned the car before me got angry and ripped the mirror out and the map light so i don not know what to do about that.

3) My Door locks are acting weird. I am able to lock the doors with the key only we took out the electric motor that controls the driver side power lock and cleaned it because it was rusted now the driver paddle works. The passenger paddle does not work because it is missing parts. Is there any way to get the parts I am missing for the paddle? Once i reput the electric motor back in locking the driver door does not lock the passenger door anymore. So any ideas on that. Btw I have no idea if my lock buttons work on my doors the window buttons do.

4)My windows are a little funky. Both dont go all the way up to the top of my door with out help and the go up slow.also my driver window some times will not go up at all. but this might be because of the switches one time i saw all the lights go out on them when puting the windows down.

5)My Twilight Sensor is bad i need to replace it. i was wondering if there was a good place to get a replacement from. Also How do i get it out? I see the panel but i cant figure how to get it out. I tried with a screw driver but i am afraid of scratching the plastic. So is there a special tool or technique to get it out.

6) My Chime does not work. i dont know any thing about it so any insight would be nice.

7) My Hood and Trunk light do not work i have found the trunks turn on mechinism it works fine. i cant find the hoods any trouble shooting would be appreciative. I know the bulbs work.

8) My Batter drains i do not know what causes it any common problems.

9) My Theft System is always on even if my car is locked or unlocked. All i get is a blinking theft deterent light on my dash but no horn lights or chime. Is this a problem and is there a way to troubleshoot/fix.

Before anyone Asks i have the manul and i know some of these things are not neccesary but they are important to me. Thank you to anyone who helps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jim e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990.5 allante, 1990 allante

Re: Large Number Of Allante Repairs HELP ME PLEASE

Window switches commonly give problems. I got rebuilt ones from allante source, and they were just like new, they do want your olds ones back to rebuild, the drivers side switch can effect both sides operations.
    Bolts on window regulators do become loose, and may be the issue with the windows as this is what I had a # years back, it was something like 3 or 4 bolts that needed tightening, as that is common occurance.
    Sensor , allante source or Johnny Monzo at allante xlr club can supply you with another, be sure to wrap string around wire harness, as if you remove sensor and drop wire down dash opening, you are screwed. Just the small center plastic part comes out to get to sensor, not the whole strip.You can try cleaning sensor with cotton tipped applicator dipped in alcohol
    Wires from vanity wires have to be somewhere, even if ripped out as you say, the ends should be somewhere. Are they taped so no contact?
    Battery drain areas are trunk pull down or top pull down constantly running, or door locks, the 3 most common areas of battery drain. mine had top pull down running constantly when I bough the last allante, and Allante source supplied me with rebuilt and worked as good as new.
    If you are near NJ, Johnny runs an allante shop and Johnny knows allantes inside and out. He is also very reasonable.He runs the allante xlr club, well worth the membership fee, as if you are a member, you can call him almost any time with issues and he will have answers, as well as parts, so it can be a big help even if you do not live close by. He will even speak to your mechanic if you do not do repairs yourself as not many mechanics know this car as most of the good ones have moved on to other things, it is a well worth membership .

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

Was this car in a flood? Seems like an awful lot of electrical problems even for one Allante. Check it out with Carfax.

No it was not in a flood it was too a beach alot plus it was a well used example 130,000 miles! Also just remembered that some of my seat functions do not work could this be switches or motors? Is there an easy way to check?

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

That beach front salt air explains it. To be realistic you might consider replacing the car. There was a high miles 91 in Chicago on Craigslist a couple weeks ago with no problems like you are having for $1900. A couple years a go I bought my 92 with 66,000 miles for $4000. Part it out and replace it.
    There are a lot of high miles cars around selling cheap. You can easily dump that much into fixing your car.

I would still like to repair it so any more help would be usefull.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.