Allante Decision
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Allante Decision in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If I posted this in the Allante discussion it would not have any response or views. I need to know ...
    Cadillac89Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Allante Decision

If I posted this in the Allante discussion it would not have any response or views. I need to know is it worth the extra $ to get the '93 Northstar V8 model?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There are other things to consider. The trade differences on the '93 other than the engine. I believe the seats and stereo are different for starters.

Do you need the extra power?
    Both engines are reliable, but the maintenance costs on the Northstar will be higher.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Allante Decision

If all you want is a nice cruiser, any year Allante will do. The non-Northstar cars are just as nice and have perfectly adequate power for any reasonable driving situation.

I do not really need any power at the time. If both engines are equally reliable, I'll go for a non Northstar model

jim e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990.5 allante, 1990 allante

If you go with the northstar, be sure it is a V4J model, as the non V4j will be difficult getting parts for engine and transmission,as the earlier non V4J cars were only on the early 93 allante cars and were not interchangeable with other GM cars of the era like the later Nothstars were.
    The 4.5 engine has plenty of power for this car.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I've owned 2. An 88 then a 91. In my opinion the 1992 would be the best choice. Its the last of the 4.5's with all the improvements and more than adequate power. Lowest production numbers, better seats than a 93. Better audio (Bose) vs non Bose in 93. In my experience over the years with GM vehicles I've owned, getting the last year of production is the best decision vs first year production (Northstar drivetrain) Like any old car, service history documentation is very important! More so, I beleive, on an Allante.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    I've owned 2. An 88 then a 91. In my opinion the 1992 would be the best choice. Its the last of the 4.5's with all the improvements and more than adequate power. Lowest production numbers, better seats than a 93. Better audio (Bose) vs non Bose in 93. In my experience over the years with GM vehicles I've owned, getting the last year of production is the best decision vs first year production (Northstar drivetrain) Like any old car, service history documentation is very important! More so, I beleive, on an Allante.
    That's why I have an 89 vette. And I didn't know that there wasn't a Bose in the 93. Definitely gonna look for a 92

gewans is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

The 93's with the northstar have head gasket issues if it hasn't blown a head gasket, it will in the future, big pain to
    repair. Chances are if not repaired correctly, even repaired will go south again. Doing one right now. Probably was
    previously repaired.

D Yaros is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv

I had a '92, and chose it specifically over a 1993. The car was a blast to drive. Plenty of power.

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

I own a 92 and a 93. I really like the phase 2 cars (90.5 to 92). From a power standpoint I don't notice too much difference in daily driving. I do notice the difference when I floor it going 55 MPH. The Northstar just takes off. From a power standpoint the 4.5 engine is just fine.
    Personally I would not buy a phase 1 car. I like the seats in the 92 better than the 93. Your best buy I believe is a phase 2 car.

I'm going to try for a 92.. But if has to be after 90 for be airbag

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

If you buy a 1990 be sure its a phase 2 car . They made both phase 1 and 2 in 1990. Sometimes called a 1990.5 phase 2 car. I think the vin number change was at 126200. They did not many 92's because they made an early change over to the 93 design.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.