sagging hardtop headliner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, sagging hardtop headliner in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have two Allante hardtops and the headliners on both are sagging. I took one apart and aside from the ...
    nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

sagging hardtop headliner

I have two Allante hardtops and the headliners on both are sagging. I took one apart and aside from the material coming apart the backing board has crumbled. I don't suppose there are replacement backing boards available. Has anyone tackled this problem? Are all of the headliners coming down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smumfor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 Allante / 90 Allante

Re: sagging hardtop headliner

It has got to be about 10 years ago I had the headliner coming down on the 88 DeVille.
    I found this shop over on the west side of Jacksonville and the guy did an amazing job of matching the cloth and made it like new. So when we went to pick the car up we went in my Gray Allante.. I got to talking to the guy and he told me he did all the work for the Cadillac dealers in the area and had done lots of Allante Convertible tops. He took me back into the shop and on the table was an Allante Hard top upside down on cloth pads and sand bags. He had cut a new backing board ..(A tan colored sort of like door panel board) and was attaching the Vinyl/leather/Nogga hide to it.
    So I guess Yes you can get new board cut by a good shop...

Scott

jim e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990.5 allante, 1990 allante

I had this problem, not on the Allante, but another car.
    The cheapest fix was I used some screw pins purchased at wal mart and screwed them through the headliner and was enough to grab into the backing board.
    The pins twist into place, and are clear plastic on the ends, and yes you can get a bottle of touchup paint and paint the clear plastic to match your headliner color before you place them in.
    Place them even on top, equally spaced, even where it is not sagging so it looks even, and the difference is the headliner will look more of a pillow top, but it works, is cheap, and holds the sagging up. Otherwise if you want something more like new, then see a local auto upholstery shop. I went to a local auto upholstery shop for conv. top and headliner for the allante, and he was able to replace that so it is just like factory new. Check your local shop if that is what you want accomplished, as just about anything can be done for a fee.

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

The backing board for the Allante hardtop is a molded item. A flat piece of cardboard will not do it. What I did with mine was used epoxy resin and fiberglass mats to reinforce the old board. I took pictures and writing it up for an article in the Cadillac La Salle club Allante chapter newsletter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.