one question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, one question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have been looking for another old car and today i saw a Cadillac allante. it looked good and the ...
    corvairbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member

one question

i have been looking for another old car and today i saw a Cadillac allante. it looked good and the guy wanted 2900.00 for it. this is what i saw. it is an 1989 convertible with the hard top. it has a v8 and it is an automatic. leather interior. now this is what i saw and he showed me. it use to be some form of white and after it was in it's 2nd accident in the front it now is some form of blue. he can't recall yet the color but he thinks is it s buick blue. but the door jams trunk inside and under the hood are still original and they tried to paint the inner fenders but it is peeling. the engine sounded good i did not drive it yet. the seats were in good shape with a few seams tearing on the drive seat. the steering wheel has a cover may be nothing. the front driver fender had a poor fitment at the windshield along the hood. the switch on the drivers door that controls the memory for seats and such did not work. he said it may have separated. he said he replaced the alt. water pump radiator because of a road alligator? the top is a blue fabric of some sort maybe canvas? how would you keep those from rotting? he showed me the dash and said all the gadgets did still work and the dash still worked.

i guess what i would like to know is just how do these hold up being it is 25 years old what can i expect to start going wrong. it has 150k on it now. do the engines and trannys hold up good in these cars? how about the electronics? he said the components are all Cadillac but the body is the hard to get items.

what is the conscientious for this is it a good deal or maybe i need to keep going? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gewans is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: one question

If you are not skilled in auto repairs, walk away.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I agree and I've owned 2. With an Allante you have to be a better than average mechanic and electrician.

Tony S45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante

Unfortunately, I must agree with gewans and carnut.

Based on your brief description, I wonder how well the car was repaired after it's accidents?

I really like my Allante; however, I bought the lowest mileage car that I could find with a clean Carfax for many more $$$ that your sellers price. I did so to attempt to avoid as many of the numerous issues that these complicated cars can develop.

Perhaps you could spend more and find a much lower mileage car for sale. If not, walk away.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.