Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: anyone have experience with block sealants? ( head gasket leak )

gewans is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

anyone have experience with block sealants? ( head gasket leak )

Thinking about using a head gasket sealant on my Northstar ( who would have guessed it would blow a gasket ) anyone have any experience with the brands out there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tony S45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante

Re: anyone have experience with block sealants? ( head gasket leak )

gewans:

I'm sorry to read about your problem. How many miles does your car have?

I also have a Northstar (64k miles) and change the coolant every two/three years and hope the engine will last, but who knows...

To your question, I have read about numerous snake-oil potions that claim that they will fix a head gasket problem but unfortunately for every success there must be scores of failures. If that were to happen to me I would get a quote from a reputable mechanic that has experience with Northstars for a correct fix including new head bolts. Next, I would attempt to calculate whether it's worth it to fix the car or attempt to sell it for parts. I know this is not what you want to hear but it's the reality of an expensive aluminum engine. However, before I'd sell it for parts I would certainly try a reputable firms head gasket sealant such as Lucas.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Tony S45

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1999 BMW 740 Il. 2005 Jag XK8, 1988 Mercedes Benz 300 SE

The head gaskets fail because the head bolts loosen and the head raises. I doubt any snake oil could fix that.

gewans is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Thanks for your reply. I have had many caddies with northstars and thought I would try sealant fix. A
    friend of mine with many years of experience fixing, fabricating, and racing tried sealant and it worked, for how long, who knows. I just wanted to give it a try. I can always pull the engine and replace the studs and do misc. maintenance. I live in Arizona and this is a bad time of year to rebuild motors. Thanks for your
    interest. I'll keep you informed.