soft top issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, soft top issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey, Reticently bought an 88. I am having a bit of an issue with the soft top (its the Robson ...
    maddmatt252 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

Question soft top issues

Hey,
    Reticently bought an 88. I am having a bit of an issue with the soft top (its the Robson replacement done by the last owner). I have finally got it to seal around the windows, I think. Is there a guide for that adjustment for future reference? Also, when the soft top is put down, the 'lid' (might not be the right word) locks down but the back side of it sticks about an inch off the body of the car. Is that suppose to be like that? It makes me concerned that I may damage something when installing the hard top with it sticking up a little bit.
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jim e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990.5 allante, 1990 allante

Re: soft top issues

You did not say what widows you are referring to. If it is the door windows, there is a cable that is secured to top corners near windshield and it goes across and secures in back quarter panel where length can be adjusted, (been a while since I fooled with that). Sometimes the cable comes loose at top corner of windshield and that makes a loose cable and an opening on top of door windows. Just be sure cable is relatively snug and not loose.
    As far as cover for top , (it is suppose to go down flat and not be up an inch as you put it) , be sure that the wheels are in track on both sides when you push it closed. You also should pull fabric of top outwards when folding down and tuck the fabric in the top well area, as that will make the top fold down flatter and given more room for the top cover to go to position,(this is not needed on 90.5 tops and later as design was different).Johnny Monzo has a nice video on this on his site, the Cadillac allante xlr club.He has a repair shop for allante cars and has a good inventory of parts and rebuilt items along with great expertise.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Yes there's a guide. A factory service manual. There was also a small pamphlet describing how to raise/ lower the top. Both come up on E BAY at times. Might be a good idea to finish your profile with the area you live in. Most Allante owners wouldn't mind showing you the tricks to the top in person.

maddmatt252 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

I have some pictures to help show whats happening! pic 59 is of the window gap on the passenger side, I don't know which window is causing the issue. The other 2 pics(56 and 57) are of the soft top cover. I will keep playing with the fabric to try and get it to work. May have to join the allante xlr club to get access to the video!
    Thanks for the help, I'll report if I am able to get any progress!
    Matt

ps- I am working on my profile for the site as well
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.