Chrysler vs Allante ABS parts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kthelen
  • 1 Post By daveswfla53
  • 1 Post By smumfor
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Chrysler vs Allante ABS parts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've found an Allante locally that's for sale, cheap - but the brakes aren't functional. It supposedly sat for 2 ...
    kthelen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Chrysler vs Allante ABS parts

I've found an Allante locally that's for sale, cheap - but the brakes aren't functional. It supposedly sat for 2 years without being touched, after which the pedal now drops to the floor, and the warnings light up the dash like a Christmas tree. I don't have all the specifics at this point, but I do know it's going to need some attention.

My fear is that it may end up needing a new accumulator, and (depending on how much they played with it) possibly a new pump, before things are restored to working order. Of course, the prices for those parts are astounding.

I've been doing some reading, and noticed that several FWD Chrysler products also supposedly used the Bosch III ABS system in '88, '89, and the first half of MY 1990. Has anyone here ever investigated the differences between the GM and Chrysler systems? (I'd love to dig into it myself, but don't want to have to buy the Caddy just to do the research!)

A major auto parts store lists parts with the same names, having similar but slightly different part numbers, and the same stock pictures... no clues there.

I would expect the parts to be too different to be compatible - but who knows?

If perhaps I've stumbled upon a cheaper way to obtain the potentially needed pieces for this Caddy, it'd make me much more confident in moving forward. (I don't want to bank on getting lucky, and curing its issues simply through bleeding... though that sure would be nice!)

Would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has attempted any other brake system modifications/conversions on an Allante in order to eliminate the need for costly original replacement parts. ABS or no ABS, I know there must be other means of achieving power assist at a far lesser price.

--Keith
    FLew likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Chrysler vs Allante ABS parts

The pump is the same save for the wiring connector, different plug. Simply splice in the Allante connector. I did it. worked fine.

daveswfla53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allante

Carnut,
    Can you give some info of which Chrysler pump you used off what car. I'm trying to get my brakes to work without spending a small fortune on used parts. Chrysler also supposedly used the Bosch III ABS system in '88, '89, as I read in a earlier post that you answered.
    I own a 88 Allante
    FLew likes this.

It was off an Imperial about 1989 I believe.

smumfor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 Allante / 90 Allante

The 1989 and early 1990 ( I believe they changed in mid 90 so get the early one.) CHRYSLER IMPERIAL V6-201ci 3.3L F/I has almost the same bosh pump and you can get them rebuilt for about $250. from Rock Auto.
    Just change the connector...

Scott

carnut likes this.

Thank you for confirming my memory's intact!

FLew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 & 1988 Allante's

What about the high pressure hoses w/the ends intact. they are pretty expensive also. who repair's or has replacement hoses??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.