90 Allante ABS Pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, 90 Allante ABS Pump in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've done the abs check found on the Allante Source website and it looks like my Allante has a bad ...
    Cady70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville, 90 Allante

90 Allante ABS Pump

I've done the abs check found on the Allante Source website and it looks like my Allante has a bad abs pump. Maybe I'm cheap but $500 to $600 for a rebuilt pump seems like allot of money for such a seemingly simple component. I've had my eye on Ebay for a while but nothing coming up. Is there may be a less expensive pump out of another car that I could make work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 90 Allante ABS Pump

If you are referring to the fender mounted electric pump, Chrysler also used that pump on New Yorker's and Imperials in that era. The connector plug was different. Did the Allante source tutorial determine the pump takes too long to shut off?

Yes, that's where it's located. It's about the size of a small aerosol can. I depressurized the system and listened for the pump to run. It didn't. I then checked to see if it had power. It did. Not good news.

So, you are saying this pump does not work at all! You should have a rock hard pedal and not be able to stop it, if that's the case.

Yup, it's got Flintstone brakes. The drive home was pretty intense when they went out.

Every wrecked Allante I've seen is a result of a front end collision! Thats why headlights, grilles, hoods are so expensive and rare. Might try www.allantesource.com for an exchange unit.

That doesn't surprise me. I'll take a look. Still the money thing hurts. But then again it's not like I'm driving a Dodge Dart. Thanks

I once bought a 90 Allante cheap because the supply pump failed. His wife said even if he fixed it, she would NEVER drive that car again! Towed it 40 miles home, bought a rebuilt pump the next day and drove it that afternoon. The weak links in this system are the pump and the pressure hose to it. Infrequent fluid flushes and aging hoses can be real exciting when they fail! Its been 15 or 16 years since I've owned one but I loved both my 88 and 90. If it were mine, I'd get another pump and I'd have a hydraulic hose shop make a new hose with your fittings.

Mine was bought with no brakes as well. The last owner just didn't want to put the money into it. I replaced the whole unit on the firewall. I think it was aroung 1k. I didn't replace the pump though. Guess it’s just par for the course.

FLew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 & 1988 Allante's

Same problems with the ABS Pump and high pressure hose on my 1988 Allante'. I asked the same questions about the prices for these parts. Parts cost more than the car may be worth. Any one that has ever owned these cars probably gave it away because they are too expensive to drive. Nice cars to show, but too expensive to drive.

Good luck,

Frank
    Dallas, Tx

----------

Quote Originally Posted by FLew View Post
    Same problems with the ABS Pump and high pressure hose on my 1988 Allante'. I asked the same questions about the prices for these parts. Parts cost more than the car may be worth. Any one that has ever owned these cars probably gave it away because they are too expensive to drive. Nice cars to show, but too expensive to drive.

Good luck,

Frank
    Dallas, Tx
    ERxpensive

smumfor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 Allante / 90 Allante

Use the ABS pump from a 89-90 Chrysler imperial just change out the connector .. Rebuilt from rock auto for about $250. I believe they changed in mid 90 so get the early one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.