Cadillac Owners Forum banner

87 Allante for sale - why so cheap?

6K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  vanaisa 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Ok, understood - first year, not finished car, without hard top, but mileage? I never thought, that ca. 100k miles is high mileage.
Of course, all depends, how previous owners take care of car...
As i had chance in this summer drove few weeks convertible (hmm, bmw), i am sure i need one too. :yup: XLR is way too costly for me, so only choice is Allanté. Its sometimes hard to love only one brand :cool:
I read all posts here about different years, but still have questions: are those Allanté 4.1 engines reliable?
I understand, that they are different intakes, do they have more differences from basic 4.1s?

#6 ·
vanaisa said:
I agreed - we dont have here any Allantés, so i never seen it in flesh.
But if someone explains me differences between "usual" 4.1 and Allanteś 4.1, it would be great.
Same with 4.5 engines.
First generation 4.1 in the Allante was 170 HP. The engine was a little souped up over the other cadilacs. This engine was in the 87 and 88. The 1989 had the 4.5 which was basically the same engine but more displacement and 200HP. This engine was 1989 to 1992. Of course 1993 had new Northstar engine. Last year for allante, only year for northstar engine.

#16 ·
The pearl white is a tricolor process (requiring two trips through the paint booth when the Allante's were built). That makes it more difficult to match. Pininfarina could only apply two at a time in their spray boot which is what is needed for basecoat/clearcoat. But with tricolor another coat is required. I believe the pearl white is metallic paint, but the biggest issue is the tricolor and what needed to be done to produce this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.