Allante Restoration advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Allante Restoration advice in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I would like to hear from anyone with advice regarding engine replacement options for a 1990 Allante. To date, I've ...
    jackl1956 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Allante

Allante Restoration advice

I would like to hear from anyone with advice regarding engine replacement options for a 1990 Allante. To date, I've spoken to Cadillac who will install a new? crate engine for approximately 7500, I've considered a Jasper remanufactured engine for about 4500 installed. In both cases a 3 year warranty comes with the installation. My car is not perfect and I intend to use it as a daily driver. That being said, I would choose a professional alternative with a company known to back their product. I would especially like to hear from anyone who has had similar repair work done with lasting results. Money, is certainly a consideration. Thanks Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante

Re: Allante Restoration advice

Jack,

Have you considered re-building the one you have? Might be a less expensive alternative to a crate engine. What is wrong with your engine and where are you located?

Don

Bob Rich is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unless you have built engines before, and have a lot of specialized tools and a stock of the consumables (sealers, cleaners, etc), you are better off reliability and price wise using a remanufactured engine from GM or one of the national rebuilders.

jackl1956 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Allante

Don,
    My car is overheating.............is this a typical problem? So from a serviceability standpoint I am considering a crate engine to ensure a starting from a known quantity. I am located in San Juan Capistrano, California.

Jack

Bob Rich is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Replace the radiator and see what happens. They are readily available and not too expensive.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Yeah, just because its overheating doesn't mean it's time for a new engine, or even a rebuild. Your radiator is probably clogged. Either get it roded, recored, or replaced. If that doesn't work, do it again, and flush the block.

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

In addition to a clogged radiator, cooling fan relays, cooling fan motors, loose/slipping water pump impellar, and thermostat all should be ruled out as the possible cause of your overheating. There are so many good used Allante' 4.5's around that I would not even consider getting a rebuilt one or a crate motor. The 4.5's appear to have a service life well in excess of 200k miles, with a few approaching or even beyond 300k.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.