waht did yoy do with your allante today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, waht did yoy do with your allante today in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm a newbie, I traded a 1985 gmc step side I restored this past nov. for a 1989 red tan ...
    silver haired fox is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): allante

waht did yoy do with your allante today

I'm a newbie, I traded a 1985 gmc step side I restored this past nov. for a 1989 red tan interior I have a 1973 340 duster in the garage just finished restoring and waiting for spring .I got to drive the allante for two night's
    before winter set in, got the manual & just been reading & waiting to get my hand's dirty on this new project it look's like a little more than spark-air & fuel I've been looking at this site since late nov. seem's quite but see a lot of view's not many comment's As a newbie I need input on every thing ,I understand these car's are sometimes a pain but worth the gain I want to know more even on what kind of wax,oil filter ect. you use let's cherp it up if we want to keep this site going for us new allante owner's we need your experience, any other newbie's out there let's here from you, from the great white north Ottawa Ont. Canada

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

masmas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 allante red soft top, subaru outback for the winter

Re: waht did yoy do with your allante today

I was a newbie last year and enjoyed getting my feet wet. I also have an 89 and would you believe I am also in Ottawa. We will have to meet in the Spring and stare at each others cars and talk shop. Welcome to the forum.

mas

for sure if this winter ever goes away located in kemptville look forward

jim e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990.5 allante, 1990 allante

Hello Silver Fox
    Well I have one 1990.5 Allante since 1993, and last year I purchased another Allante a 1990.Now I have fun maintaining 2 of these.
    As far as oil, I always use synthetic oil (Mobil One) in all 6 of my cars even the lawnmower and the lawn tractor. I Now use the Mobil One EP oil since they came out with that one a few years back and use their Mobil one EP filter as well. Usually certain stores have oil specials and I stock up.
    I feel oil is one of the most important things that need changing.
    Also the brake fluid should be changed out every 2 years. Allante source has an easy way to change out the top part of the fluid and makes it simple once you have done it.The brakes Bosch 3 system, has history of issues and changing out the fluid at intervals helps this problem.
    As your other question as far as wax, thats a personal issue. I like Turtle wax Ice as that wipes off easy with out all that white residue. I was in an auto store a few years back and was looking at all the wax products and an auto detailer told me he liked the Turtle Wax Ice and it made his job easier so I just stuck with that.
    Rag Top makes a great product to keep the top in good shape as it water repells and makes the top look nice and black.Its a spray on , but you have to mask off everything else not to get it on glass etc. so I just use large plastic bags and close top around them and spray. It is a nice product.
    Also, if you ever get any lint or fuzz on the top, a sticky lint roller works very nice. I guess I like keeping the cars looking their best.

Nice to here from you Jim traded my stepside for it thinking that's what I'd like,after researching the car I thought OMG what did I get into. two allante's WOW! these must be a special car I got mine in nov with 250 klm rebuilt motor at 150 new soft top drove it for two night's love the ride the sound in that time noticed no radio so read the site's learned of the problem's with the cap's had the back's looked at & yes there were done having them repaired $$ so looked for replacement for the front went to local pull your own found bose amp'ed speaker's for L&R $10.00 and should work. picked up a manual & have been reading over the winter so my plan of attack for the spring is
    (1) get it started from winter sleep
    (2) learn how the diagnosis work's look for trouble code's
    (3) change oil
    (4) change brake fluid
    (5) radio
    (6) if all goes well have a few pop's & clean her up
    during the winter picked a vented battery from napa # 7803 with more power than came with the car,new hood strut's the only thing that make's me worried is the abs system with these car's been on Dick's site & looking for part's if need be sorry to ramble but it's great to here from allante another owner can't wait till this WINTER QUIT'S

jim e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990.5 allante, 1990 allante

Fox:
    I will be happy when winter is over as well.
    You are fortunate to have a car with a new soft top. I had mine replaced last summer on the 1990 for $2000.00, and that was the most expensive thing I have ever done to either Allante.
    I am a member of Johnny Monzo's The Cadillac Allante XLR club.
    With that you have the right to call him 24/7 with any issues you may have, and he has a great deal of parts, and he has the knowledge as well, besides being a nice guy to talk to. He not only has parts but also rebuilds items as well, He rebuilt my overhead dome map console and it came back looking brand new and very reasonable. He also runs an Allante shop in NJ. Looks like I'm the one rambling now!! Jim

thank's Jim i'll look into that it would be closer to me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.