What to buy?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, What to buy? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I came across this site almost by accident while trying, without much success, to get some information on the various ...
    Garry is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What to buy?

I came across this site almost by accident while trying, without much success, to get some information on the various years of the Allante. I have pretty much narrowed down my choice of a weekender convertible to an Allante, but am having trouble in finding the good and bad points of the various years. I had a '93 Seville STS and hated the slight vibration in the power train at cruising speeds. Almost every Northstar Seville I drove around that time seemed to have the same problem, and although the dealership claimed it was "roadfeel" it was not. I later had a '99 STS and loved it for a hard driving three years, but my experience with the '93 has put me off the Northstar version of the Allante. Looking at prices on Ebay, they seem to be all over the map, and I have to wonder just why one car with 90,000 miles might be worth twice as much as a similar model from a different year when photos and descriptions would appear to be similar. Without any particular reaso9n, I have more or less decided that the 4.5 litre engine would be a good choice, but have very little basis for this opinion.
    In reading the various comments posted at the moment, I have learned that the ABS system can be tricky if not regularly serviced, and that fluids should be regularly changed, though that's only common sense. Any experiences from others that would help me close in on a particular year would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jack M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '01 Eldo ETC, '92 Allante

Re: What to buy?

Garry,

The senior guys on this forum can probably give you a better answer to your questions than I can, since I'm very new to the forum and Allantes. Also, there've been recent, lengthy posts dealing with the matter of "which is best -- and why".

However, I can tell you what my decision factors were in choosing between buying a '91-'92, or a '93. First of all, low mileage, like 40k or less, was a firm criteria. Secondly, the 4.5 litter was a good, proven engine that had all the bugs, if any, worked out by the time '91-'92 appeared on the scene. Thirdly, the 4.6 Northstar is, theoritically, supperior to the 4.5. The trick is to get a Northstar Allante that had never suffered from some of the ills of this introductory engine, like oil leaks. Fourthly, the '93 didn't have the ABS maintenance concerns that the earlier models had.

While a 4.5 liter '91-'92 can scoot, a 4.6 liter '93 can scoot even better. Never mind the difference in shift points and torque, a Northstar Allante is a more than marginally better performer. And finally, the '93 had some very good improvements on it, plus you're more likely to get your Caddy dealer to work on it when necessary because the Northstar is still in production.

Now, I hasten to add that not all Caddy dealerships have techs with overall Allante experience, but your chances are improved with a '93 because of the engine alone. If I have to drive twenty more miles to get Allante experience, I'll do it. I'd do it if it were 50 or more miles, just to keep my baby safe.

By now, it's very clear what year model Allante I favor. However, my choice of the '93 actually came down to finding -- or not, a '93 with a good, good Northstar engine in it. If I was not successful in that, I would have bought a '91-'92 in a heart beat, assuming all other criteria were correct, like mileage, price, condition, etc. I never considered any Allantes in the '87-'90 model years.

You'll find, however, that all Allante owners are zealots, and honestly believe that their year models are "the best", some because of collector considerations. And the arguments steming from these beliefs will go on forever.

Hope this helps you. And best regards, Jack M.

Garry is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Jack,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. What you say makes agreat deal of sense, and if I could find and drive a Northstar Allante that did not shimmy in the same way as my old '93 STS, I would most likely go for it, but the aggravation caused by driving a car that always felt as if the wheels were just slightly out of balance was offputting to say the least. The Seville was a three year lease car, so the end was always in sight, but whatever I get as a toy car will hopefully be with me for a long time. Thanks again, Garry

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I have owned an 88 for 3 years now. When I bought it ,it had 33,000 miles. Been an excellent daily driver, my only car. First 3 mo. of ownership had some minor electrical issues that were solved with a battery replacement. Have had no mechanical issues. Yes I change the brake fluid yearly as well as the coolant with the recommended sealant approved by Cadillac. If I was to do it over again, I would seek out an 89 thru 92 because of the higher horsepower and torque 4.5. Service history is very important especially if very low mileage because low mileage can mean lack of fluid changes. I personally dont like the 93's seats, prefer the Recarros of the prior years. Just my observations, good luck!

mcboo42@aol.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member

garry..re:92 allante....this is my first visit to this site........coincidentally..........i put in the paper today my 92...............59200 miles..............im in so.cal....................if you have interest please contact me at.........mcboo42@aol.com..................thanks .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.