Power loss on the highway
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Power loss on the highway in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I tried a targeted search and did not find something here in the group. I was driving on the highway ...
    bruce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Allante (205K), 91 Allante (135K)

Unhappy Power loss on the highway

I tried a targeted search and did not find something here in the group. I was driving on the highway last week when all the sudden the car started loosing speed, the RPM's dropped drastically and it sound like it had a jake-brake. When I pulled over, the car idles fine and runs up to about 2,000 rpm without issue. Once you get over 2200, it drops again quickly, running very rough, even backfired a couple of times, and will die if you don't back off the accelerator. I was able to drive it off the highway, even drove it up the ramp on the tow truck. Anything at highway speed no longer possible. I tried to pull error codes, but nothing is current or past. Engine light never came on at anytime through this ordeal. Has anyone had this issue before? Any ideas of what I should be checking?

Thank you

'91 Allante, pearl white with neutral interior. 4.5L with 133,000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

Re: Power loss on the highway

PCM maybe? I would check the fuel pressure as well.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Unless you know the mileage on the fuel filter, replace it. (not an Allante specific part) Sounds to me to be a fuel delivery problem. A partially plugged filter will act this way. Limiting top speed. The backfiring, I believe, is because the engine is running too lean. A restricted filter will not set a code.

Thank you. I will give the fuel system a check this weekend!

And the verdict was????

I guess he passed away!!?

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

It could also be the catalytic converter 'dying'....

Sorry guys, two jobs and little free daylight have prolonged this process. I had a chance to change the fuel filter last Friday and unfortunately, not a positive result. I have not doubt it was time to change but that did not cure my problem. I have noticed a small rubber hose in that area that has a broken connector on the end that may be from the fuel tank lines - maybe a return line of some sort? It is dry and hard to determine if it has a residual fuel smell but not sure exactly how to get to where it may go. I had just filled the fuel tank so it has about 20 gallons and will be hard to drain to drop. I may rent a car this weekend and visit my favorite pick-a-part that still has one on the lot and see what I can find out.
    Thank you for your help and I apologize that I have not responded sooner.

----------

Would anyone know of a proper Allante mechanic in the northern California area? I have taken the book with the car to a couple of local, well reviewed mechanics, and not very satisfied with the results...

Now the fuel pressure needs checked at idle and as driven. Now that we know the fuel is not restricted, I think we have a weak pump. Unfortuately its in the tank!

ppaulson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Might be the cadalatic converter

Well, I finally took the plunge after trying everything I was able to reach and work on. I took it to the local mechanic to have the fuel pump replaced and after they made a few checks, that was not the problem. $650 later I have a new catalytic converter and she is running like a top! I sure hated seeing her just sit there waiting for some love and attention, and looks like it will be a little road trip this weekend.

Thank you all for your help,
    B

----------

I have a '92 with over 200,000 miles on it and haven't replaced the catalytic converter (just about everything else though!) so I just couldn't get it through my head that was it. Hopefully it will last for a long time to come

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

The 'cat' converter was my first guess, as well. My '92 has 105,000 miles and still has the original converter; I replaced the entire exhaust system several years ago with the exception of the converter. One of these days.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.