Radio woes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Radio woes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just purchased a 1990 Allante 72K miles . Been sitting a while they say. Car runs and drives beautifully . ...
    earld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Allante

Radio woes

Just purchased a 1990 Allante 72K miles . Been sitting a while they say. Car runs and drives beautifully . I suspect my problem is due to sitting and corrosion on electrical parts is causing my problem but I thought I would ask anyways. The radio wont play . It comes on but no sound . I can change stations and all the controls work just fine except no sound. Is this a common problem or no ? Other than checking wiring to radio from speakers should I be aware of anything else?
    Is there a sticky on how to remove radio from the car? Any help appreciated. Yes I will do a search . Thanks for input

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Radio woes

Pull the radio fuse, count to ten and reinstall it. Sometimes "rebooting" the radio will fix it. The radio itself is behind the glove box. The read out is in the display tower. I'm sure the battery's been dead recently and the recharging could have caused this. You have fuses under the ash tray and behind the battery close to the power antenna assembly.

Thanks for the help. Ill check it out and let you know.

Did you mean the fuse for the radio in the main fuse panel at the console or the maxi fuse in battery compartment or both?

Do both!

Replaced all the fuses with new ones . Then did the reboot and still nothing. I am sending the radio to a service center for a check, Then I guess I have to decide whether to install an aftermarket one or not. Thanks for the help.

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

It may not be the radio. It could be the amps in the speakers. They go out a lot but its unusual they all would go out at once. When you get the radio fixed you may find that some speaker amps are blown. I have been getting mine rebuilt by a guy I found on Ebay $39ea. Can't find the link right now.

cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

Does your antennae go up when you powered on the radio? was it already in the up position? This may be completely unrelated but I'll ask anyway. I recently removed my center console from my car as well as disconnecting several wires that were powering several items in the console, lighter, trunk and gas cap, light for ash tray, and interior of console, etc. When I put it all back together, my radio would come on, and stations would appear on the dial, seek and scan functions worked, but there was no sound from the speakers, as well as the antennae didn't go up like it had before.. all was working before I took it apart, I took the console tray out and discovered that I had neglected to connect one of the plugs under there ( all the plugs can be accessed by removing the console compartment , there are no tools required to do this, unless your car originally had the cell phone option, then there may be a few screws in the compartment that need to be removed to access the plugs. The previous owner may have had trouble with one or more of the speakers and disconnected them all to prevent further damage, and never got around to fixing it, so they just left them disconnected.

Matt

Antenna goes up and down .Stations appear on the dial but no sound. I can change stations as well but nothing happens. Can I take one speaker out and determine if they are bad? I would assume no. The car was wrecked . There was damage to the front only . Headlights, bumper, and grill . The insurance company wrote if off. And so it sat. I don't know how long . Everything on the tower works to some degree. Cant set time ,or get oil use info but everything else works.
    Will one bad speaker cause radio to not work? When I checked the fuses in the console I had 2 wires that were not connected . I don't know where they go so I left them alone. This will give me something to do this week end. Thanks for the help I will get back to you.
    Can I get regular speakers to replace the original ones ?

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

You cannot get regular speakers to replace yours. The Allante Bose speakers have amps built into them. The amps had some cheap parts built into them and burn out in time. With these parts replaced the amps are as good as new but you need to know what parts and how to do it. I don't know a lot about electronics but I would assume you could put a meter on the speaker wire and see if its getting a signal from the radio. Perhaps someone who knows electronics can chime in.

I am not an electronic kind of guy when it comes to radio etc.. I will have to take them to a repair shop or buy new speakers. Do all Bose speakers have the amps installed on them?

The amps are in the enclosures. I think the issue is the 2 wires you left disconnected. On my 91, I removed the amps from a Corvette Bose system and swapped them into the 91. They are retained by a screw in each corner of the amp. The early amps simply plugged into the speakers, later ones were soldered. BUT, before sending the radio away, confirm that power is getting to the radio. Pay someone an hours time to verify voltage is present at the radio receiver behind the glove box.

If power were not getting to the radio would the faceplate on the tower not light up and show stations? Ill get to work on it in the morning. Il let you know something tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help .
    I found those 2 wires when I took the ashtray out to check on the fuses . They were just lying loose on top of the fuse block. I have no idea where they go . Maybe tomorrow I will find out.

cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

speaking of amp replacement, I was able to replace 2 of my bad amps with some from a salvage yard, many late 80's early 90's cads had the bose amps, i pulled 2 out of a 93 Eldorado, the speaker enclosures were different, but the amps inside were the same, not sure if they are the more powerful 50 amp unites that were standard in the 92 atlantes or not, but they do sound ok in my 88. That was about 4 years ago and they have not given me any trouble since. I also made it a point to disconnect nearly every body ground on the car and make sure the connections were tight There are just a few main ones, and it did make a difference removing what initially sounded like alternator interference in the sound system.

could you not use the speakers you took from the Eldorado? Should be easy enough to alter the mount to get it to fit . Would any speaker with built
    in amps work?
    Just curious what happens if you don't use speakers with built in amps ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.