Is it a good deal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, Is it a good deal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have only owned a Caddy SLS a few years ago and now I have an opportunity to purchase a ...
    earld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Allante

Is it a good deal

I have only owned a Caddy SLS a few years ago and now I have an opportunity to purchase a 1990 Allante with 76000 miles on it. Owner states the miles are accurate so I have to go with that. The car is super clean and in tact. No evidence of any issues. My question is whether or not this is a good deal? It runs fine drive beautifully. I know nothing about them except what I have heard . I did hear the brakes were a problem in some cars. I just need an owners /mechanics opinion of the car. The price is $2500. It has both tops as well . Both is good condition. Any and all input appreciated . Thanks Earl D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Is it a good deal

Use the on board diagnostics and tell us if any current fault codes come up. Brakes are only problematic if you fail to flush the brake fluid every 2 years. Are you a decent back yard mechanic? To own an Allante, you MUST own a factory service manual. For $2500 you could make money parting it out! I've owned 2. Loved both cars BUT I was a service manager when these cars were introduced and knew the ins and outs from back then. Google www.allantesource.com A very good web source for info and Mr Hussey knows his car!

I do all my own mechanic work . I have rebuilt several cars . I have a 55 TBird I built from pieces . I looked at the Allante and its like new . Just thought the price was low from what I have seen . But the owner is wanting to get rid of it and is willing to sell it cheap. I can get the cost of the car from just selling the hood . But I want to keep it like new as long as I own it. I will check the diagnostics on it tomorrow. If I buy it I will change all the fluids plugs etc. Just to know I have a clean car.

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

At $2500 for a 76K Allante you can't go too far wrong. In 1990 it could be a phase 1 (old design) or phase 2 (newer design) car. I personally would not buy a phase 1 car but many people do. I want to say that if the Vin# is 125200 or greater its a phase 2 car but someone might correct me. If the front latches for the top are at the corner of the windshield its a phase 1 car. If the latches are 10" or so towards the middle of the windshield its a phase 2 car. There are many other differences as well. If its a phase 2 car with a phase 2 hardtop its a real deal. My guess its a phase 1 car.

VIN is 127446 . So, its a phase 2 ? The latches are towards the middle of the windshield. I can supply photos but I don't know how to use photobucket. My granddaughter is coming tomorrow and I will get her to show me how to do it. I already bought the car . I guess people wouldn't buy a Yugo either. But I have 4 of them . Great little cars .

cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

So it sounds like you got a pretty good deal, phase 2 car, welcome to the world of Allante!.. I have a first generation phase 1, and I love it, 220000(yes, two hundred and twenty-two thousand) miles on it and it still looks and drives great, going on nearly a decade with it, so I'm quite familiar with most of it's quirks by now.

MAtt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.