Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Is it a good deal

earld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Allante

Is it a good deal

I have only owned a Caddy SLS a few years ago and now I have an opportunity to purchase a 1990 Allante with 76000 miles on it. Owner states the miles are accurate so I have to go with that. The car is super clean and in tact. No evidence of any issues. My question is whether or not this is a good deal? It runs fine drive beautifully. I know nothing about them except what I have heard . I did hear the brakes were a problem in some cars. I just need an owners /mechanics opinion of the car. The price is $2500. It has both tops as well . Both is good condition. Any and all input appreciated . Thanks Earl D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1999 BMW 740 Il. 2005 Jag XK8, 1988 Mercedes Benz 300 SE

Re: Is it a good deal

Use the on board diagnostics and tell us if any current fault codes come up. Brakes are only problematic if you fail to flush the brake fluid every 2 years. Are you a decent back yard mechanic? To own an Allante, you MUST own a factory service manual. For $2500 you could make money parting it out! I've owned 2. Loved both cars BUT I was a service manager when these cars were introduced and knew the ins and outs from back then. Google www.allantesource.com A very good web source for info and Mr Hussey knows his car!

I do all my own mechanic work . I have rebuilt several cars . I have a 55 TBird I built from pieces . I looked at the Allante and its like new . Just thought the price was low from what I have seen . But the owner is wanting to get rid of it and is willing to sell it cheap. I can get the cost of the car from just selling the hood . But I want to keep it like new as long as I own it. I will check the diagnostics on it tomorrow. If I buy it I will change all the fluids plugs etc. Just to know I have a clean car.

nbaum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 & 1992 Allante

At $2500 for a 76K Allante you can't go too far wrong. In 1990 it could be a phase 1 (old design) or phase 2 (newer design) car. I personally would not buy a phase 1 car but many people do. I want to say that if the Vin# is 125200 or greater its a phase 2 car but someone might correct me. If the front latches for the top are at the corner of the windshield its a phase 1 car. If the latches are 10" or so towards the middle of the windshield its a phase 2 car. There are many other differences as well. If its a phase 2 car with a phase 2 hardtop its a real deal. My guess its a phase 1 car.

VIN is 127446 . So, its a phase 2 ? The latches are towards the middle of the windshield. I can supply photos but I don't know how to use photobucket. My granddaughter is coming tomorrow and I will get her to show me how to do it. I already bought the car . I guess people wouldn't buy a Yugo either. But I have 4 of them . Great little cars .

cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

So it sounds like you got a pretty good deal, phase 2 car, welcome to the world of Allante!.. I have a first generation phase 1, and I love it, 220000(yes, two hundred and twenty-two thousand) miles on it and it still looks and drives great, going on nearly a decade with it, so I'm quite familiar with most of it's quirks by now.

MAtt