HELP!!! Where are the horns??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, HELP!!! Where are the horns?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am trying to track down a problem with the horn on my 91 Allante. The relay works but power ...
    jimboak is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy HELP!!! Where are the horns??

I am trying to track down a problem with the horn on my 91 Allante. The relay works but power does not get to the horns. This should be simple to fix but I can't find where the horns are physically located!!! They must be tucked away behind something up front, but I have not been able to locate them. Can anyone direct me to the place in the car where the horns are physically mounted??

Thanks in advance for any clues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: HELP!!! Where are the horns??

Quote Originally Posted by jimboak
    I am trying to track down a problem with the horn on my 91 Allante. The relay works but power does not get to the horns. This should be simple to fix but I can't find where the horns are physically located!!! They must be tucked away behind something up front, but I have not been able to locate them. Can anyone direct me to the place in the car where the horns are physically mounted??

I don't know where they would be kept but logically i would check right in front of the engine right by the radiator, near the wheel wells, and also check from under the car as well. Hope this helps others with allantes will chyme in when they wake up today

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The horns are mounted on the inside of the bumper, which is inside the bumper cover.

Easiest way to get to them is probably from below, after removing the valence panel. Can also be reached from above, but the rubber shields are probably in the way. They're at the very ends of the bumper, in the corners of the bumper cover.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I poked around almost everywhere except the bumper... I'll take your advice and go in from below.

That probably also explains why they quit working. A parking lot guy smacked that panel pretty good coming down a ramp a few weeks ago. I clipped it back up but didn't think to check the horn.

Quote Originally Posted by ckucia
    The horns are mounted on the inside of the bumper, which is inside the bumper cover.

Easiest way to get to them is probably from below, after removing the valence panel. Can also be reached from above, but the rubber shields are probably in the way. They're at the very ends of the bumper, in the corners of the bumper cover.

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

is it only me that has trouble handing off the keys to ANYONE?

i rather park on the street than hand off the keys ...

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I poked around almost everywhere except the bumper... I'll take your advice and go in from below.

That probably also explains why they quit working. A parking lot guy smacked that panel pretty good coming down a ramp a few weeks ago. I clipped it back up but didn't think to check the horn.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    No one else drives my Allante and that includes the girlfriend. If something happens, I want to be the one behind the wheel. If I know I'm going to have to leave the car somewhere, it stays in the garage.

Rich_M is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante
    Had the same symtoms with my '87. Relay would click but no sound from horns. There is an in-line fuse RH (Pass. side) front of engine compartment on fender panel near the horn relay. It's in a black plastic case that the top pops open and you will see a fuse. When this fuse blows the horns will not sound. Dig deep towards the fender for the case it's hidden.

Regards,
    Rich

Rich - that was exactly the problem. The fuse holder was right where you said it would be, almost exactly behind the red box with the main battery connections. Replaced the blown fuse and everything is back to normal. Thanks a million.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_M
    Had the same symtoms with my '87. Relay would click but no sound from horns. There is an in-line fuse RH (Pass. side) front of engine compartment on fender panel near the horn relay. It's in a black plastic case that the top pops open and you will see a fuse. When this fuse blows the horns will not sound. Dig deep towards the fender for the case it's hidden.

Regards,
    Rich

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.