unknown fluid coming through the fire wall, interior lighting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, unknown fluid coming through the fire wall, interior lighting in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Gentlemen, 2 items I was doing some under dash work a week or so ago and after pulling off the ...
    masmas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 allante red soft top, subaru outback for the winter

unknown fluid coming through the fire wall, interior lighting

Gentlemen, 2 items

I was doing some under dash work a week or so ago and after pulling off the under dash coverings, I found a rag tight to the firewall somewhere above the gas peddle. It was moist but not sopping. I have had the car since May and have not put in any brake fluid and the level is good based on what I see. I removed the rag and I then noticed after putting the coverings back on that the foam near the firewall was dripping fluid, oily.
    Based on the location, it would say brake fluid, the only other fluid I can think of is that the car gets undercoated every year and this is regular seepage. What could it be?
    Secondly, I have read through the forum that the reason the interior lights do not work when you open the door is because the light sensor might be u/s. The interior lights do work when you press the button on the dash. Any troubleshooting for this?

later,

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: unknown fluid coming through the fire wall, interior lighting

Interior lights only work at night! There is an ambient light sensor in the defroster grille to tell the interior lights to come on when dark. Unlike other Cadillac's, the Allante has 2 ambient sensors in the dash. One for headlights, one for interior lights. If they do not work at all, I would suspect that sensor is unplugged? Regarding the fluid, brake fluid has a distinct odor and so does undercoating. Try a new rag to collect this fluid and maybe someone can tell you what it is. And now we know why the guy sold it don't we! Is the rod wet that attaches to the brake pedal ? from the master cylinder.

masmas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 allante red soft top, subaru outback for the winter

Re: unknown fluid coming through the fire wall, interior lighting

Brake fluid is down after replacing the fluid in the pump and cylinder. Carnut is correct once again, I am putting a star beside his name on the blackboard. I have read about adding an additive to the reservoir that seals gasket/orings. Is this snake oil? I looked at 2 suppliers on the net for master cylinders, 82 and 47 bucks respectfully (+/-) for new and rebuilt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.