'89 Allante revival?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, '89 Allante revival? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A guy I know wants me to help him bring back to life a 1989 Allante that has been sitting ...
    caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Question '89 Allante revival?

A guy I know wants me to help him bring back to life a 1989 Allante that has been sitting in his garage for 7 years and never started. Any advice or suggestions to get it on the road again?
    Anything specific to the Allante to look into?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Tripple Black Allante, RIP 98 catera

Re: '89 Allante revival?

totaly flush brakes, Mr. hussey will im sure advise more on this subject, new battery, all new fluids, other than that it shouldnt have any specific stuff, out of curiosity how many miles it got?

Thanks! Yeah, I've heard that the ABS pumps on these cars are prone to failure and very expensive to fix. I'm sure good brake fluid keeps it running right.
    It has in the high-80's for mileage, but since it's digital, I can't tell until I get a new battery hooked up to it.
    Any good Allante websites you can recommend?

kmhebert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think the Allante is awesome. Any pictures of the 1989?

No, I don't have any pics, since it's not my car, I'm just fixing it! It's not looking it's best now, since it's been sitting in a garage under a car cover for 7 years. The paint needs a good cleaning and buffing, and the interior needs a lot of cleaning to get the mold off. But I'm sure it will be a hot looking car once it's all cleaned up!

Another question:

Is the transmission on this '89 4.5 liter the same as the 4T60-E in my '94 Deville with the 4.9? I know the older transaxles were similar but had different numbers for names. I assume a fluid and filter change would be about 6 quarts like the 4T60-E?

Thanks!

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The tranny in the '89 Allante' is an F-7 TH440, not a 4T60-E. We have some "how-to"s" for Allante's on our website at www.allantesource.com .

I knew it was different, but isn't it the predessesor to the 4T60-E? I assume it takes 6 quarts to refill when you drop the pan?

So far I've got the car up on jackstands, have the wheels and rotors off to get resurfaced. I've started to change the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The ignition wires were corroded right to the cap after sitting so long. At leas 4 of them broke the terminals off when I pulled the wires.

I drained the transmission, but when I went to drain the engine oil, the drain plug will not move! I tried everything possible to get it to turn, but it won't! My guess is it's corroded in there after sitting for 6 years. I'm about out of ideas on how to get it out since it's such a tight spot between the plug and the transmission pan. Any ideas?

Is GM still making replacement parts for the 89' Allantes, or is it too old?

Allantesource is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Some parts are available, some are not. With respect to the oil drain plug, probably some Neanderthal with a two foot wrench tightened it up at last oil change. Lots of Allante's have had oil pan problems. Plug is steel. Pan is aluminum. Guess which part gets ruined when this happens. Yes, the TH440 F-7 was the predecessor to the 4T60-E, but it is a different unit internally. I do not know exactly how much fluid it takes. You're in the right range. GM makes a reusuable pan gasket that is well worth the $40 or so it costs. I'd recommend that.

OK, thanks! I am just hoping I don't break the oil pan, or the threads trying to get the plug out! It's going to need a new drain plug, but I hope that's all!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

This might be too late, but try hitting the end of a box wrench rather than trying to pull on the wrench. In other words, with the proper box end wrench on the drain plug, hit the end of the wrench with the side of your fist. If you pull on the wrench, it will strip the pan. Whenever I am loosing fittings in alloys, I hit the end of the wrench, never push or pull on it.

I did get the plug out. I used the Craftsman ez out type tool. I am almost done with the car. I fired it up today, for the first time in 6 years! It took about 30 seconds of cranking before it fired up. It was sputtering and firing once in a while. Once it fired up it ran rough, probably because of the old gas in the lines and sticky injectors.
    After it ran a few minutes it smoothed out, but idled high, around 1,200. The throttle was sticking, so it hit it a few times and it leveled down to around 700 rpm. So with all the new tune-up items, this engine that has been sitting for 6 years runs great now! I'm very happy that it fired up and none of the electronics were fried or didn't want to work. The only problems were two light bulbs out that the DIC said and that the A/C refridgerant was low and the compressor was off.
    I'll keep you all updated when we drive it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.