dying my seats and updating interior
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Allante Forum Discussion, dying my seats and updating interior in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Gang, Just wanted to share that I recently starting dying some new seats I got for my 88. I ...
    cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

dying my seats and updating interior

Hi Gang, Just wanted to share that I recently starting dying some new seats I got for my 88. I am using Leather Magic, and I must say it is extremely easy, and the color match is great, ( and I'm actually changing the color of the seats I bought to that of my interior) I have an 88 that is in amazing condition, I bought it from the original owner like 8 years ago, and it has very high miles ( 205k) but still looks and drives amazingly, except that the original seats are showing their age, leather is hard, the foam had stiffened, and the seams have ripped. I spent the last few years softening up the leather in hoes of saving the original seats, but stumbled on a donor car lately with such a nice interior I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately the doner is a 92, so the seats have a different pattern, and are made with less leather then the 88, it is also a different color ( beige) my 88 is Saddle Tan. So I guess I am doing a resto mod instead of actually restoring. but anyway SO excited that I will have soft luxurious recarros again for my little cad.

MAtt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: dying my seats and updating interior

Wow , this is how you get intimate with your Allante, been removing the interior of my 88 and dissembling all the parts from my donor car and my original, picking the best of each and dying and recoloring so that everything looks stock when back together. My car originally came with the factory phone, so the console interior is different, and BOY oh BOY are there a ton of wires and plugs for those old phones. The handset wasn't with my car when I bought it, other wise I would have kept it all, just for nostalgia sake.

So far I've discovered the differance between 88, and 92 interiors seem to be this. the seats have less leather and more vinyl on them, and the leather is much softer.

Also the console itself has leass leather, the storage compartment on the 88is real leather, the lid on the 92 is vinyl, appears to be the same with the ash tray cover and surround, the 88 again a formed leather, where as the 92 vinyl .

The shift knob/handle is a different style too, but both are leather covered.

Here's a pic of the new seats, and one of a seat cushion dyed to Saddle color, and the shift handle cover being dyed.

Since I have everything out of the car, I'm going to make sure the carpets are cleaned as well, I may even tackle replacing the belt on my cassette player, since things are pretty easy to get to.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Great job, looking forward to seeing more pics as the job progresses.

So here's a few pics of the finished product along with a shot of my original seat and the "after" of the new seat dyed.. I was very pleased with the results, now we'll see how it all holds up. I changed the color of 2 seats, the back panels, the console, console lid, ash tray and surrounds, seat trim, and head rests. and I did change color from beige to this saddle and the dye kit came from leather magic, the color was absolutely spot on, and I didn't have to send a sample, they are one of the few dye providers that actually have Allante Saddle color in their stock color library.
    http://

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

That looks really good. A friend has an '89 and she is the original owner. She had the seats recovered and while they look very nice, the color doesn't match the original and they are hard as a rock. I'd encourage anyone to resto mod an Allante as much as possible. The next task would be to deal with the horrible steering wheel these cars had. Such a thin ring and a cover can't solve the problem. Something with leather and wood fits the bill. Sure it is easy to spend other people's money but I always hated the steering wheel ring in these cars.

mikel912 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante

Looks great! Nice 93 shift handle. All that work and no center console with cupholder?

Thanks Mike, the shift handle came out of the 92 too LOL I couldn't find an armrest with the cup holders! and I'm too cheep to pay retail for one.. I can get one at the pic your part yards for under $15.00 but everyone wants $100 or better online and NO ONE has them in saddle! ( even if they did i wouldn't pay that) , so I continue my search, plus I still have enough dye to make a salvage yard find perfect.. I'm very patient, I've waited over 8 years for the seats, I can go a bit longer on the cup holders..

mikel912 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante

I might be able to help you, If you have the dye I can sell you one very reasonable. I can be reached at (213) 792-6046.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.